Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

D

Dutch

The lights and shadows as the game goes over to a night game is absolutely brilliant! Sections of the crowd go darker, floodlights burn increasingly brighter, even the sound of the crowd gets that nighttime feel....brilliant.

saulman55

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Unfortunately the detestable ai has killed my appetite for the game. I was playing a pro40 match as essex opening the batting alongside gambir. He began better than i did racing to 20 off 8 balls so i let him carry the charge which worked up until we were both in the 30's. He then proceeded to block 26 deliveries in a row, to make matters worse he then played about a foot inside the line of a delivery that pitched on leg stump and bowled him the rest of the inning followed a pattern of my ai teammates playing like morons and getting out.

The bowling is beginning to feel cheap as well what with the opposition ai being similarly braindead what with about 90% of my wickets being bowled or lbw due to the batsmen playing an odd mix of reverse sweeps and wild slashes during 4 day games. Initially the game was a massive hit for me but with an extended play time im dissapointed.

angad

Chairman of Consent
You know a game has been made well if while watching a match on tv you notice so many things that you should be doing in the game and know for a fact that they will make your gameplay better (eg what lengths the bowlers are bowling etc). Great stuff.

Also, I know there has been a lot of hate towards the online mode (looks at BarmyArmy :p) however I have to say this based on my experience so far, once you get the hang of the controls etc, it is the online mode that would keep you busy. I have had some really really cool matches online and the experience from those matches is something that I have never ever felt in any cricket game before. Yes there are glitches....which are really irritating when they happen, but it still does not stop you from having some memorable games online. The game is just amazing.

Alberts

International Coach
Unfortunately the detestable ai has killed my appetite for the game. I was playing a pro40 match as essex opening the batting alongside gambir. He began better than i did racing to 20 off 8 balls so i let him carry the charge which worked up until we were both in the 30's. He then proceeded to block 26 deliveries in a row, to make matters worse he then played about a foot inside the line of a delivery that pitched on leg stump and bowled him the rest of the inning followed a pattern of my ai teammates playing like morons and getting out.

The bowling is beginning to feel cheap as well what with the opposition ai being similarly braindead what with about 90% of my wickets being bowled or lbw due to the batsmen playing an odd mix of reverse sweeps and wild slashes during 4 day games. Initially the game was a massive hit for me but with an extended play time im dissapointed.

There are some fundamental issues with how the AI deal with their innings, particularly throwing the bat around needlessly at times. What's most unusual though is that it seems that they edge it far less than their general play would suggest they should (the number of edges they give away is far less than you see in real life as a fraction of wickets as well) and it suggests that their batting in general needs an overhaul to make them less fragile and allow for more realistic modes for dismissal. We'll see what happens though. I'm still waiting on official confirmation that they recognise these issues.

You might like this thread, it discusses the AI issues in the game.

Last edited:

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Had a great game on a tour to England as the Aussies. Playing a country game.
I scored 271 all out on pro of 45.2 overs, i score slowly at the start but when the AI bowlers get tired they are very easy to score off. I wen't from 7/123 to 271 in about 15 overs and smacked them all over the ground. Scored 75 of 53 balls with johnson with four 6 and heaps of fours.

I had some luck and love seeing random new stuff almost every game, had a edge hit my helmet and the bat pad fielder drop the catch when johnson was on 34. I also saw a stop in the outfield near the boundary as the field flicked the ball he did not have room to pick the ball up as it was so close to the rope so he flicked it a second time but then he ran in the wrong direction and i ran a third run. So funny but i loved it.

I do want the bowling speeds fixed as everyone else does but if they don't fix the legside bowling the difficulty will go up as you don't get as much time to play your shots.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
While waiting for the patch I've been playing on Veteran in Casual and I'm starting to beat a few sides already. I'm finding it's too easy to bowl sides out quickly and the AI is making only slightly less dumb choices than on Pro.

I'm hopeing they're really smart and sensible on Legend when I get there.

I also think that part of the problem is that there are a lot of sides which have just had their attributes set in the middle and nothing else. These guys are amongst the easier sides to beat. So, I've altered and fixed up a lot of other sides now and it's helping a little. I think a decent side on Veteran needs about 4 star batting and somewhere around 3 and a bit bowling stars.

savvart

Associate Cricketer
After all is said and done, this is a great game when compared to others...

Can't wait for the next version... :cheers

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This pretty cool, hadn't seen this little animation before, ball has usually just plowed into the non-striker...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Just got the console and fired up the game. Immediately asked to download the latest version (I assume the patch) and got it as well.

Very good game, and I played a few T10 matches in casual mode on Amateur difficulty setting. Finding bowling a real tough one as I keep firing the ball down the leg side for wides. Spin bowling is easier.

As far as batting is concerned, I managed to get some 60+ scores, but frustrating I get run out at times misjudging singles. I used the R2 button to save myself on some occasions, but not always. Also pressing the square button accidentally makes me run out sometimes.

Also in fielding I kept dropping a lot of catches and missing run outs. I assume that there is some action I need to do, other than just jam the buttons??

All in all, it feels challenging enough game to keep me engaged. The AI batting pummelled me into submission on all my matches, as I was unable to take my catches (even simple ones) and kept bowling too many wides and no-balls.

Also guessing the length of the delivery seems tough. Most of the time I played off the front foot...

P.S. The text seems very small in-game. Finding it hard to read text properly.

Last edited:

NoLeName

PlanetCricket Writing Team
This pretty cool, hadn't seen this little animation before, ball has usually just plowed into the non-striker...

I saw an even better one where the non-striker fully ducked under the ball as it was hit through the air. Looked very fluid, although he nearly got run-out doing so. I'd say it would have been worth it

Last edited by a moderator:

cricfan11

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The lights and shadows as the game goes over to a night game is absolutely brilliant! Sections of the crowd go darker, floodlights burn increasingly brighter, even the sound of the crowd gets that nighttime feel....brilliant.

You know a game has been made well if while watching a match on tv you notice so many things that you should be doing in the game and know for a fact that they will make your gameplay better (eg what lengths the bowlers are bowling etc). Great stuff.

Also, I know there has been a lot of hate towards the online mode (looks at BarmyArmy :p) however I have to say this based on my experience so far, once you get the hang of the controls etc, it is the online mode that would keep you busy. I have had some really really cool matches online and the experience from those matches is something that I have never ever felt in any cricket game before. Yes there are glitches....which are really irritating when they happen, but it still does not stop you from having some memorable games online. The game is just amazing.

Posts like these just makes it so hard for us PC users to wait. It will be even harder when Xbox/PS3 users will be playing with 2nd patch. But by that time most probably the steam release won't be far :)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am finally getting to grips with batting in career mode. I average 28.50 in the Twenty20 Cup with Essex, I also have 9 wickets at 11.00 with the ball. I am apparently "getting attention" from the Australian Big Bash.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
As far as batting is concerned, I managed to get some 60+ scores, but frustrating I get run out at times misjudging singles. I used the R2 button to save myself on some occasions, but not always. Also pressing the square button accidentally makes me run out sometimes.

I would hope so coz Square button means you want to take a run.

Users who are viewing this thread