Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Got the game today; I have one minor problem with good length bowling. When I bowl full; it ends up full and short ends up short; but good length stuff ends up pitching at bouncer length. I'm at the easiest difficulty and have all the aids that show that I'm doing it properly; but I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong. Anyone help me with this?

e: ignore me, I'm dumb. Thought x was short; o was good and triangle was full...

e2: Just going to add my general thoughts after my first career game with a dummy fast bowler because I want to be a spinner but I've still not got those controls down.

Genuinely fun: I got 2-34 in my first bowling innings and 1-67 in my second; and Sussex won by 5 wickets. I did notice the fact that my fast bowler plunged from easily being 90MPH and almost touching 100MPH in my first over to struggling to get near 80 by my fourth. I have the bowling help up, so this is with generally identical deliveries. It might be my bowler not being very good: but it seems a little fishy that my pace could fall that quicky... It also never came back: I was first change bowler, came on in over 11 and bowled reliably above 90 for the first two overs. After bowling 5 at ending up at 70: I was rested until the 50th over, where I ended up only at 80mph despite 30 overs of rest. Its something that hopefully is just a early career mode thing, but the elimination of fatigue seems to be a little slow... I'm not expecting a 16 year old to bowl that fast for the entire game, but I figure that I'd get that pace back at some point!

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Genuinely fun: I got 2-34 in my first bowling innings and 1-67 in my second; and Sussex won by 5 wickets. I did notice the fact that my fast bowler plunged from easily being 90MPH and almost touching 100MPH in my first over to struggling to get near 80 by my fourth. I have the bowling help up, so this is with generally identical deliveries. It might be my bowler not being very good: but it seems a little fishy that my pace could fall that quicky... It also never came back: I was first change bowler, came on in over 11 and bowled reliably above 90 for the first two overs. After bowling 5 at ending up at 70: I was rested until the 50th over, where I ended up only at 80mph despite 30 overs of rest. Its something that hopefully is just a early career mode thing, but the elimination of fatigue seems to be a little slow... I'm not expecting a 16 year old to bowl that fast for the entire game, but I figure that I'd get that pace back at some point!

nope, sadly it's an issue in the game with all pace bowlers in all modes of the game. hoping it's one of the things addressed in patch 2

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Loving playing at legend level...Feels awesome....Finding batting to be much more fluent and effective at that level...Just those superman and runout bugs taken out it would be very enjoyable to play all formats...Played a T20 at legend level and got all out at 104 off 14 overs mainly due to 3 top batsman got out by that superman catches and some because of trying to get those 25XP from hitting a boundary off the first ball...:p
But overall batting feels really good....:yes

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Got the game today; I have one minor problem with good length bowling. When I bowl full; it ends up full and short ends up short; but good length stuff ends up pitching at bouncer length. I'm at the easiest difficulty and have all the aids that show that I'm doing it properly; but I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong. Anyone help me with this?

e: ignore me, I'm dumb. Thought x was short; o was good and triangle was full...

e2: Just going to add my general thoughts after my first career game with a dummy fast bowler because I want to be a spinner but I've still not got those controls down.

Yes, will be fixed with patch#2, should have been addressed in patch#1 as it's not a big fix, probably should have held the patch by a day to get that one sorted and tested but wanted to rush the patch a bit too much. Sorry :(

Alberts

International Coach
Yes, will be fixed with patch#2, should have been addressed in patch#1 as it's not a big fix, probably should have held the patch by a day to get that one sorted and tested but wanted to rush the patch a bit too much. Sorry :(

Out of curiosity how much more of an issue is it getting patches through PSN and Xbox Live in comparison to say steam, where developers seem to be pummelling people with patches, beta patches and so forth on a consistent basis. From my understanding there is a cost to consider with each patch for the consoles as well, making hotfixes impractical and expensive.

karanmadan

Club Cricketer
I just got the game yesterday. I'm enjoying the learning curve with the new controls. I finally had a glimmer of hope for the first time. I played a T20 match as Chennai Super Kings vs Mumbai Indians. I bowled first and got Mumbai Indians 81 all out in 13 overs. I was confident I'd be able to chase it down but wound up 2 runs short thanks to Malinga's spell of 4/38 in his 4 overs. Batting is definitely a bit more challenging than bowling. I am thoroughly enjoying learning the new controls. Graphics aren't great but I really like the game mechanics and players' animations in the field.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors

Assuming you are talking about the bowler fatigue issue:

I can see why it'd be very easy to stop the bowlers from tiring so quickly, and to allow their stamina to regenerate more quickly.

However, doesn't that risk throwing the game out of balance? Already people seem to find that the AI batting isn't incredibly strong, even on the hardest difficulty. That is when they are facing unrealistically slow bowlers. If the bowlers were returned to a realistic speed, that'd make them stronger no? And consequently the AI batting would struggle even more?

karanmadan

Club Cricketer
Finally tasted some success. My batting almost fell apart chasing 64.

Attachments

• 20140425_182459.jpg
    20140425_182459.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20140425_180922.jpg
    20140425_180922.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 9

Toonga

Club Cricketer
Geez spinners really are hard to play in this game, as soon as a spinner comes on I go to water mentally and it's only a matter of time before they run through the entire batting order and I collapse, they are like Kryptonite to me!

At least from broadcast view it is very difficult to tell which way the ball is spinning, mostly guess work really, wonder if there is a way a hint market can be displayed as the ball is delivered. Very difficult to pick if it's a wrong-un, arm ball or googly etc and it's too late to act once it's landed....

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Assuming you are talking about the bowler fatigue issue:

I can see why it'd be very easy to stop the bowlers from tiring so quickly, and to allow their stamina to regenerate more quickly.

However, doesn't that risk throwing the game out of balance? Already people seem to find that the AI batting isn't incredibly strong, even on the hardest difficulty. That is when they are facing unrealistically slow bowlers. If the bowlers were returned to a realistic speed, that'd make them stronger no? And consequently the AI batting would struggle even more?

You're right, the balance of the game relies on so many elements that we need to be careful not to throw it completely out of whack and fixing the fatigue issue would make the bowlers more dominant than they are. The AI's batting in patch#2 will be a lot better (as in "smarter").

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
There are also a lot of bowlers bowling under-speed (from the start of their spells). Is this a "get best" issue as well?

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
There are also a lot of bowlers bowling under-speed (from the start of their spells). Is this a "get best" issue as well?

I would have to guess that this is the case, I don't have the game in front of me right now.

I also need to be careful when referring to any particular teams that are in the get best. I can comment on the attributes but not the specific players/teams.

We will come up with a table of expected attributes based on patch#2.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I just noticed playing CC games that opposition fast-medium bowlers (often opening bowlers) are running in at 60-70mph.
Makes it easier to play at any rate!

Users who are viewing this thread