Feb 27 - India v England

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I'm expecting a huge opening partnership for India. I'm feeling like to see a big Sehwag Sachin combi, cause it has been years, watching them play together. And there are rumors on Sachin retirement, which means we won't be able to see any further!
Correct occasion, its the venue they both rocked individually! India should bat first, Sachin and Viru should go after English bowling!

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
So we have a baal Thackeray prodigy here at PC :spy

what does a suicidal maniac have to do with bal thackeray?? lucky for you that majority of Indians are followers of Gandhi and not thackeray. an indo pak final would be a treat irrespective of the outcome because there is always a next time for the either team.

BlueString

School Cricketer
Its actually 63,000 only at Eden Gardens due to the renovation (that couldnt bring it back to 1,00,000). But yes, playing there would have been amazing if India had a match there (sad that we dont play at the Eden).

Btw, 'senseless Indian fans'? WHATS THAT? There would definitely be some sensible and mature guys in there too. Dont use Eden's infamous history to write off everyone that visits Eden Gardens for a match.

Lol, I know of course, I was generalizing. I've been to a few games there, I've been one of those senseless guys :p

Owzat

International Coach
I think if Shahzad was too play (which he really must) it'll be more likely he comes in for either Bresnan or one of Colly/Bopara.

We have to consider the 2nd spinner as well.

BBC is reckoning we won't make any changes. Hard to justify any batting changes, even though it was only Holland they all scored (some) runs against, but the bowling made the target much bigger than it should have been and cost England any significant NRR from the game.

As I've said before and a lot, England really have no foreplanning. If they had then surely if KP was going to bowl then England would have used him more?!?!? Including the two overs against Holland he has bowled a massive 52.5 overs in 111 ODIs (so about THREE balls per ODI), he has taken a respectable seven wickets at 44.00, BUT the most wickets he's taken in a series or indeed ODI is two.

Until England wake up to the fact that you win matches by taking wickets and not by containment/'bowling tightly' they won't get anywhere fast. They need to make most of every area, be excellent in the field, bowlers need to take wickets and batsmen need to make runs. May sound obvious but England are too often lacking in one or more of the three "disciplines" - I do extend "bowling" to taking wickets as wickets do win ODIs.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm expecting a huge opening partnership for India. I'm feeling like to see a big Sehwag Sachin combi, cause it has been years, watching them play together. And there are rumors on Sachin retirement, which means we won't be able to see any further!
Correct occasion, its the venue they both rocked individually! India should bat first, Sachin and Viru should go after English bowling!

I too wish we bat first and hopefully pile up a big enough total. I am hoping that the track would be a much better one than the ones used for the warmups.

1.5 hrs to go. Got 2 hrs of sleep to be ready for the game! Hope its a thriller with India winning.:cheers

King Cricket

International Coach
It's a good gamble to go with both Chawla and Harbhajan. The pitch favoured accurate spin bowling in the Australia match, hope the same happens here as well. Time for our bowlers to step up their game.

Owzat

International Coach
Shame that Broady ain't playing .

But then England have brought in Shahzad and Yardy so the bowling attack looks better balanced and less reliant on medium pace part-timers and a very part-time KP spinner.

Who knows, maybe the pitch will make Yardy look like a world beater.

Doesn't look too bad a balance :

Strauss
Pietersen
Trott
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Shahzad
Anderson

I think this game could be won or lost on how well the seamers bowl for England. I think the key with any England game seems to be what happens, or doesn't, in the middle overs between the opening powerplay overs and the new ball bowlers being changed, to the point at which the innings gains pace as sides look to use wickets in hand to hit 8, 9 or 10 runs an over. This is where I feel England lose direction, looking to simply contain when bowling and get through overs, while batting they don't seem to know whether to stick or twist and too often give their wickets away

Sureshot

Executive member
Big loss to have no Broad, but Shahzad has a chance to show his skills. Yardy in for Bopara, I think it's the right call, we need 2 spinners on these wickets, (even if that 2nd spinner isn't a wicket taker, Owzat ;))

All pressure is on India, I don't think England have a lot to lose, I don't see it affecting our quarter-final qualification. India fans expect a win, England fans expect a respectable performance, even if we lose, I won't be too fussed if we put in a performance.

Users who are viewing this thread