Fixed spots in Super Eights

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I still think Australia are in it... I guess Lee might rip through the Lankan batting today!

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I guess that didn't happen at all, because Sri Lanka knocked out Australia out of the tournament. Anyway, the good news about these prefixed standings is that fans can buy tickets quickly now, since they know where the Super Eights matches will be held.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
This might be the appropriate spot for this question, but who knows.

Will points be carried forward from the group stages on account of the teams (for example, India and Ireland) not being in the same group.

Also, will NRR be started over, or will that carry forward?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't think any points or run rates are being carried forward. Not 100% sure, only 80%.

But this tournament format is starting to bug me. There are 4 games in the next 2 nights - and only 1 of them matters: Pakistan v Netherlands. The other 3 do nothing at all as there is nothing to play for. All the spots are pre-determined. So 3 of the 12 prelim games will have been pointless. Good for ticket holders for the Super Eight games I suppose who know where their team will be playing, but that's the only advantage I can think of, and since those games are all double headers anyway it probably doesn't matter much.

This predetermining of Super 8 spots could have been a negative deterrent too to good cricket too. Imagine if Australia had scraped past Sri Lanka last night. They then then be in the position of having to rely on Sri Lanka beating the West Indies quite well to get through, or Sri Lanka losing again. What's to stop both the SL and WI teams getting together and 'manufactuing' a result to make sure they both got through? Ie. matchfixing. Neither team would have had ANY incentive to play hard because they already knew what Super 8 group they will be in if they go through.

T20 may be an entertaining format, but I don't think much of the tournament setup.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
This predetermining of Super 8 spots could have been a negative deterrent too to good cricket too. Imagine if Australia had scraped past Sri Lanka last night. They then then be in the position of having to rely on Sri Lanka beating the West Indies quite well to get through, or Sri Lanka losing again. What's to stop both the SL and WI teams getting together and 'manufactuing' a result to make sure they both got through? Ie. matchfixing. Neither team would have had ANY incentive to play hard because they already knew what Super 8 group they will be in if they go through.

Being in the Group of Death was always going to make things difficult for one strong nation.The question of match fixing doesnt arise here at all.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
This might be the appropriate spot for this question, but who knows.

Will points be carried forward from the group stages on account of the teams (for example, India and Ireland) not being in the same group.

Also, will NRR be started over, or will that carry forward?
I'm fairly certain that teams start with a clean slate in the Super 8's, because their positioning is not based on their first round performance. For example, if India, South Africa and England had won both their first round match-ups, they would still be in the same group and would have 2 points each, which would mean the third team (Windies/Australia) would be at a disadvantage.

It seems that the first round is simply a second round of warm-ups.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Logistical reasons? I dont see other tournaments in other sports doing this. It is, as sohum said, basically reducing the first round as just another bunch of warm-up games.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I was just reading the cricinfo explanation of this:

A1, B2, C1 and D2 in Group E and A2, B1, C2 and D1 in Group F.

I don't think it's acceptable to use seedings twice in a tournament for both rounds of groups. If the super 8's had been based on the above and actual position the groups would be:

A1 - India
B2 - Pakistan
C1 - Sri Lanka
D2 - New Zealand

A2 - Ireland
B1 - England
C2 - West Indies
D1 - South Africa

There's only actually one change (India for Ireland) but to my mind those groups are much fairer...

Gurjot95

National Board President
I am feeling bad for Australia as they got Group of death and next time also they will have group of death as they knocked out in 1st round and acc. to rules they will face 2 strong teams in their groups for next T20 WC.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I was just reading the cricinfo explanation of this:

I don't think it's acceptable to use seedings twice in a tournament for both rounds of groups. If the super 8's had been based on the above and actual position the groups would be:

There's only actually one change (India for Ireland) but to my mind those groups are much fairer...
Yup. I griped out this a couple of days ago on my blog and the PC members' articles section. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread