Gameplay questions

Toecrusher

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Been playing for a couple of days and have a few questions about the gameplay. Your help appreciated!

1) Ball length
How do you get some more variety in the length of delivery? As you see from my pitch mat below, I’ve only managed to get 3 variations in length (short, good, full). I’ve tried using the R1/L1 modifier but haven’t found this to have an impact.

2) Swing conditions
What are the best conditions to see the ball swinging around? Assume it is a grassy and soft pitch, but haven’t managed to get it to swing more than marginally on this. I’d also assume overcast conditions would help but haven’t encountered these yet (are they in the game?)

3) Edges to slips
I’ve got quite a few edges to keeper, but none to slips. Playing on Pro, Medium Difficulty bowling and batting, Hard/Green/Pristine surface. I've seen gameplay vids with edges to slips though, so wondering if there is any particular setup that is particularly conducive to seeing edges to slips?

4) Red circle
Is there any way to remove the red circle around the ball when bowling? I’ve seen some gameplay vids without it so assume there must be a way.

5) Running cams
Is there any way to have the running cam setup from DBC 14? The option seems to be missing, and the available ones detract from the enjoyment/are disorienting.

6) Pitch wear
Is this happening, and if so, having a material impact on gameplay (e.g. turns more if ball is pitched in the rough)

7) Get Best
Is a good download available now? Or would you suggest waiting a little bit for a better version? For instance I did GetBest and a couple of logos were incorrect (e.g. NZ) so thought it might be better to wait…

Thanks!

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Been playing for a couple of days and have a few questions about the gameplay. Your help appreciated!

1) Ball length
How do you get some more variety in the length of delivery? As you see from my pitch mat below, I’ve only managed to get 3 variations in length (short, good, full). I’ve tried using the R1/L1 modifier but haven’t found this to have an impact.

you have to hold L1/R1 then choose length to bowl, this is supposed to modify the normal lengths a bit.

2) Swing conditions
What are the best conditions to see the ball swinging around? Assume it is a grassy and soft pitch, but haven’t managed to get it to swing more than marginally on this. I’d also assume overcast conditions would help but haven’t encountered these yet (are they in the game?)
Yes they are, but not really seen -- you dont see the cloud cover, but it will be reported as overcast when u start the game, I have had some amazing swing.(also check your gameplay modifier sliders u can change swing parameters.
3) Edges to slips
I’ve got quite a few edges to keeper, but none to slips. Playing on Pro, Medium Difficulty bowling and batting, Hard/Green/Pristine surface. I've seen gameplay vids with edges to slips though, so wondering if there is any particular setup that is particularly conducive to seeing edges to slips?
Sorry can't answer this one, I have had nicks to slips and gully.

4) Red circle
Is there any way to remove the red circle around the ball when bowling? I’ve seen some gameplay vids without it so assume there must be a way.
In setup, there is a setting for AERIAL marker - i think thats the ball marker...[/QUOTE]

5) Running cams
Is there any way to have the running cam setup from DBC 14? The option seems to be missing, and the available ones detract from the enjoyment/are disorienting.
Many have asked for this, we hoping for it in a future patch.

6) Pitch wear
Is this happening, and if so, having a material impact on gameplay (e.g. turns more if ball is pitched in the rough)
Is being investigated by game players. (see other threads on forum)
7) Get Best
Is a good download available now? Or would you suggest waiting a little bit for a better version? For instance I did GetBest and a couple of logos were incorrect (e.g. NZ) so thought it might be better to wait…

Thanks!

Get best does work now, as a temporary fix for crashes, the team logos do not download.... however not all the teams have been done by the community as yet... so you may want to wait a week or so :)

Toecrusher

Club Captain
you have to hold L1/R1 then choose length to bowl, this is supposed to modify the normal lengths a bit.
Thanks this worked a treat! Turns out I was pressing L1/R1 after the original length selection (as the screen instructions suggest), and not holding before like you said. See pic below for the change.

Sorry can't answer this one, I have had nicks to slips and gully.
The only ones to slip I've had are off late cuts to third man. Nothing from a defensive or straight bat shot:(

Appreciate the help:)

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
You can also vary the length by varying the release point using right stick, instead of aimiing for green every time (good release) do it earlier, then the ball should be fuller in length.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Thanks this worked a treat! Turns out I was pressing L1/R1 after the original length selection (as the screen instructions suggest), and not holding before like you said. See pic below for the change.
Nice.... if you do the tutorial there are two sets of instructions, which are quite opposite to each other :) to pass the tutorial you had to do it the way I described!

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

A quick clarification regarding the length modifier since I haven't bowled much and am still coming to grips with bowling...

My understanding is that you select length 'X', 'O' or 'Triangle' and the bowler starts the run up. In case you want to bowl a slightly short of length delivery as the bowler runs in you hold R1 (or could be L1 - can't remember) and press X again while you are holding R1. Then you let go of R1 and push back RS to initiate the jump and bring the RS forward to bowl the delivery.

Kristingle

School Cricketer
Hello,

I was on around 90 with my career player and he went very blurry as did the fielders. The HUD is unchanged. I was able to get him to his first century! But it's still blurry.

Any ideas?

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
A quick clarification regarding the length modifier since I haven't bowled much and am still coming to grips with bowling...

My understanding is that you select length 'X', 'O' or 'Triangle' and the bowler starts the run up. In case you want to bowl a slightly short of length delivery as the bowler runs in you hold R1 (or could be L1 - can't remember) and press X again while you are holding R1. Then you let go of R1 and push back RS to initiate the jump and bring the RS forward to bowl the delivery.

or just hold R1/L1 from the start press X, O, Triangle to start your run up....while the bowler is running in you can change the length if you want to by pressing another X, O, or triangle if you wish...

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
R1 and L1 triggers needs to be just pressed not necessary to hold whereas slow and effort ball L2 and R2 needs to be [Reason being some effort being taken to get the effort ball rather than getting it at click of a button]

Alberts

International Coach
You can also vary the length by varying the release point using right stick, instead of aimiing for green every time (good release) do it earlier, then the ball should be fuller in length.

From what I can find this doesn't have a huge impact this year, hence even on harder difficulties you can hit the same length like you're iMcGrath 2.0. I hope they add a bit more variance to the length, you shouldn't be able to hit the same length that consistently.

christy_lenin1

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You can also vary the length by varying the release point using right stick, instead of aiming for green every time (good release) do it earlier, then the ball should be fuller in length.

In dbc14 this worked perfectly but I don't think it has the same effect in dbc17. I think they should remove R1/L1 and use the R-stick release to vary the length or both should have the same effect, at times it's too much confusing and I bowl no balls.

Also if I remember correctly in dbc14, we can select the delivery type before or during the run up which is missing in dbc17. What happens now is, if I select outswing the bowler runs closer to the crease and for outswing far from the crease which gives the indication to the opponent especially when playing online.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
R1 and L1 triggers needs to be just pressed not necessary to hold whereas slow and effort ball L2 and R2 needs to be [Reason being some effort being taken to get the effort ball rather than getting it at click of a button]
You need to hold it while pressing the length O, X, etc then you can leave it.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
You need to hold it while pressing the length O, X, etc then you can leave it.
What I do is type of delivery , then length then the trigger then run up [in the academy]...Find it easier ..

Toecrusher

Club Captain
Based on Jerm's suggestion, the way the length modifier worked for me was as follows....
1) Hold L1 or R1
2) Press Length selection button (i.e. short, good, full, Yorker)
3) Release L1 or R1
4) Usual bowling sequence from here...

What this meant was that now I could deliver at 12 different lengths rather than the 4 previously (see the pitch mat pics above for illustration).

Has anyone been consistently getting edges to slips (not WK) off front foot drives or defensive shots? Only slips catches I've gotten are off late cuts, which aren't really edges.....

N_stbss

Club Captain
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ive top edged a ball for six

Users who are viewing this thread