World Cup Group B - Pool Matches Discussion Thread

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Ireland took our bowlers to the cleaners today. India would be very happy at not playing its knockouts in NZL. When I left for work, I thought that the Irish will score around 320, as they had plenty of batting yet to come. India's batting did bail them out, but this could mean trouble in the knockouts.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ireland took our bowlers to the cleaners today. India would be very happy at not playing its knockouts in NZL. When I left for work, I thought that the Irish will score around 320, as they had plenty of batting yet to come. India's batting did bail them out, but this could mean trouble in the knockouts.

Eden Park is not as much a run feast as this. Remember this WC's best game between Australia and NZ, a low scoring thriller was played there. Eden Park assists swing bowling. But I think India won't play at Eden Park because if they qualify for the semis, they should play it in Sydney (since SF2 is in Sydney and will be played between QF2 and QF4 and India are in QF4). India's last match in New Zealand conditions should be the next one vs Zimbabwe at Eden Park (i.e. our last league match).

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I don't see Ireland beating Pakistan with this kind of bowling attack. They are playing in Adelaide which is a flat surface and this Ireland bowling is not good enough to contain them. They will need to bat first and post a big score to put pressure on Pakistan.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
India's last match in New Zealand conditions should be the next one vs Zimbabwe at Eden Park (i.e. our last league match).

Hope that complacency doesn't get the better of our bowlers. We have a habit of doing so and I definitely don't want to see India going home after losing to Bangladesh. Another problem I foresee for the team is meeting a strong Aussie team in the SF when our previous 5 opponents have been- Bangladesh(probable), Zimbabwe, Ireland, West Indies and U.A.E

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Ireland need to score atleast 300 runs against Pakistan to have a chance of qualifying as I do not think the Irish bowling still has that aggression to pick 10 wickets. Pakistan are back in the mix won few matches and confidence would be good and only way I see Pakistan losing to Ireland is Ireland scoring close to 300 runs and then the pressure does the rest for Pakistan if the middle overs are quite, other then that this defeat and that too with India chasing in just 36 odd overs has almost ended Ireland's chances. Its sad but thats the truth.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I don't see Ireland beating Pakistan with this kind of bowling attack. They are playing in Adelaide which is a flat surface and this Ireland bowling is not good enough to contain them. They will need to bat first and post a big score to put pressure on Pakistan.

Completely agree! I knew it when Ireland struggled to defend 330+ against Zimbabwe that their bowling is completely off the mark (i.e. very much Associate level). And India proved it by winning with more than 12 overs to spare, chasing 260. Had India batted first, 400+ was a very high possibility.

Pakistan's batting is not great, but Ireland could make them look really good. Best option for Ireland is to bat first and let Pakistan's weakness (i.e. batting) take the heat of a chase.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Been reading comments on cricinfo. Apparently our weak, fluke bowling combined with some flat wickets and lots of luck helped us win the matches in the world cup so far.

Nice.

Thank you universe for being kind to us :cheers

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
keep the luck coming then!

if we win the WC (fingers crossed) i'll be waiting for War to say it was because of South Africa's quota selection, because Mitchell Starc wasn't wearing his lucky socks, and because NZ is playing with a handicap since Guptill only has 2 toes.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Been reading comments on cricinfo. Apparently our weak, fluke bowling combined with some flat wickets and lots of luck helped us win the matches in the world cup so far.

Nice.

Thank you universe for being kind to us :cheers

That's the strange thing about India that people probably should accept, under Dhoni they play well in most world tournaments since they won the 2007 T20 Cup, while being generally poor in bilateral series, which is inadvertently not a bad trait. Nobody would suddenly call Shami/Yadav/Sharma top quality quicks because although they are not horrible their overall career shows them to be inconsistent.

But just like Manaf Patel in 2011, if they can keep the trio bowling well in for just this cup who know how far they can go - although I don't expect them to go further than the semi's regardless.[DOUBLEPOST=1426006390][/DOUBLEPOST]
keep the luck coming then!

if we win the WC (fingers crossed) i'll be waiting for War to say it was because of South Africa's quota selection, because Mitchell Starc wasn't wearing his lucky socks, and because NZ is playing with a handicap since Guptill only has 2 toes.

Ha I know a lot of you Indian fans on PC always thinking about me, how lovely :lol

namin96

Club Captain
That post match interview of Ashwin heavily reminded me of Rahul Dravid. That smooth English accent, that vibrant and confident body language. Dravid was a delight to listen to when he talks, and Ashwin seems of the same mould. In fact, most of Dravid's era of cricketers (Dravid, Kumble, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Laxman) were very good speakers. Laxman was the weakest, followed by Tendulkar who spoke well but had a very jerky style of speaking.

On the game, must say Ireland fell 40-50 runs short, seeing the position they were in at 40th over. This looks like a 300 pitch. But they will be bowling under lights and they have a more seam friendly attack. India should definitely be challenged here and who knows what can happen.

Tendulkar's English was still pretty fluent and better than the average Indian person can speak. Also, Ishant Sharma's English is pathetic I just needed to mention that.

namin96

Club Captain
That's the strange thing about India that people probably should accept, under Dhoni they play well in most world tournaments since they won the 2007 T20 Cup, while being generally poor in bilateral series, which is inadvertently not a bad trait. Nobody would suddenly call Shami/Yadav/Sharma top quality quicks because although they are not horrible their overall career shows them to be inconsistent.

But just like Manaf Patel in 2011, if they can keep the trio bowling well in for just this cup who know how far they can go - although I don't expect them to go further than the semi's regardless.[DOUBLEPOST=1426006390][/DOUBLEPOST]

Ha I know a lot of you Indian fans on PC always thinking about me, how lovely :lol

Alright you need to calm down with the negativity. People didn't even expect India to win against South Africa and come out on top in the group, which will now take place. This Indian team is looking really determined and Dhoni means business so far. He is really serious about the cup and you can tell he wants it again badly. The energy level while we are in the field is incredible, I think that was missing while we were playing the test matches against Australia and in the tri series. Everything is slowly coming together. I sense a Kohli special is around the corner maybe in the semis when we will need him the most. He's been pretty quiet since the 1st match but he has still made good contributions. I think this team will be in the final and everyone will be proven wrong once again about India's chances.

S

Satan666

Tendulkar's English was still pretty fluent and better than the average Indian person can speak. Also, Ishant Sharma's English is pathetic I just needed to mention that.

Last I check speaking standard English was not prerequisite to represent your national team.

grkrama

National Board President
Nobody would suddenly call Shami/Yadav/Sharma top quality quicks because although they are not horrible their overall career shows them to be inconsistent

point being nobody is claiming them to be steyn or mitch but simply they were pretty good on the given days in the tournament, which a lot of bowlers can be despite inconsistent careers and not much to do with luck or fluke!

namin96

Club Captain
point being nobody is claiming them to be steyn or mitch but simply they were pretty good on the given days in the tournament, which a lot of bowlers can be despite inconsistent careers and not much to do with luck or fluke!

I think our bowlers have improved though. They are bowling a good consistent line and length which we didn't see for a long time till they are in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread