ICC Awards Thread.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Go Muhammad Yousuf, I'm sure he is cricketer or test player of the year 06.

irottev

School Cricketer
I must say that I diagree with a few of the actual winners. Ponting didin't really deserve them but whatever, They could have chosen worse.

Bell claims Emerging Player award
Dravid named captain of Test Team of the Year
Hussey named ODI Player of the Year
Jayawardene leads World ODI Team of the Year
Jayawardene named Captain of the Year
Ponting named ICC Player of the Year
Ponting scoops Test Player of the Year award
Rolton wins Women's Player of the Year award
Taufel named top umpire for a third time

World Test Team of the Year 1 Matthew Hayden, 2 Michael Hussey, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Rahul Dravid (capt), 5 Mohammed Yousuf, 6 Kumar Sangakkar (wk), 7 Andrew Flintoff, 8 Shane Warne, 9 Makhaya Ntini, 10 Muttiah Muralitharan, 11 Glenn McGrath. 12th man: Brett Lee.

World ODI Team of the Year 1 Adam Gilchrist (wkt), 2 MS Dhoni, 3 Ricky Ponting, 4 Mahela Jayawardene (capt), 5 Yuvraj Singh, 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Andrew Flintoff, 8 Irfan Pathan, 9 Brett Lee, 10 Shane Bond, 11 Muttiah Muralitharan. 12th man: Andrew Symonds.

Dhoni opening? Sorry, I totally cannot agree with that one let alone him being needed if Gilchrist is picked. Why not choose a specalist batsman. Astle and Tendulkar are near the top of the list, why not pick them? Even Jaysuria. At least they are specailists and all of them can bowl a bit.
http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/BY_CALENDAR/2000S/2006/ODI_BAT_HIGHEST_AVS_2006.html

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I feel some of the players like Sachin, KP, Gayle,Astle or Fleming,Jayasuriya are missing really!!!

Also Not a good choice of Dhoni & Gilli opening lol :p ;)

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Would be fun to watch if they clicked on the day though :p

Not sure Sachin or Astle deserved a spot ahead of some of the guys picked, they've not played much cricket this year. Gayle has had a good year, but his superb recent form I am sure was not considered and came too late. Fleming probably fits in the same category as Astle, and Jayasuriya was dropped and retired at the start of the year. So their picks are pretty fair I think.

Irrotev it's not like they are picking a team to actually play a game. Things like teams of the week in football don't take into account positions, just performance.

Dhoni was right at the top of the Odi batting charts for most of the year, so he deserves the honour. If I had to disagree with anything, it would be no Jayawardene in the test team of the year, but it would be hard to leave out any of the chaps they've picked.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think Bell deserves Emerging player of the year because of the simple fact that he emerged two years ago. I think Cook should have win it hands down as he has made runs against everyone so far in his Test career.

irottev

School Cricketer
Well they are and should be, the rest of the side looks i nthe right batting positions and they have the right mix of bowlers.

I don't think "not playing enough cricket" is a good enough reason because they can't play games their sides arn't a part of. If their side only plays 11 matches compared with Australia's 26 odd then they can't help that.

And if you read the stats closely you will notice Hussey has played 25 games, for 6 fifties where he came in and just played a nothing to lose innings. 9 not outs. Astle has played 20 for 2 hundreds and 4 fifties. So really, Astle has a better ratio. 8 not outs inflate the average. Why was he totally overlooked? I seriously don't understand it. Not just him, look at Jayasuriya. 4 hundreds!!!! 3 fifties.

I don't disagree with Husseys selection at all. Just comparing the best batsmen of the year to others. He would have been my first selection.

Dhoni
http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

vs

Jayasuriya
http://statserver.cricket.org/guru?...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

vs

Astle

vs

Hussey

gaurav_indian

International Coach
evertonfan said:
I don't think Bell deserves Emerging player of the year because of the simple fact that he emerged two years ago. I think Cook should have win it hands down as he has made runs against everyone so far in his Test career.
M.Asif deserved that even though he is banned but that award is for the last year.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Whats this with Ponting not getting player of the year.. he has been amazing...

156 at Old Trafford, 100's against South Africa in his 100th test, great 100 under pressure v Bangladesh his big hundred in the ODI against South Africa... consitentcy in big scores.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
irottev said:
I must say that I diagree with a few of the actual winners. Ponting didin't really deserve them but whatever, They could have chosen worse.

Same here,even I disagree with a few award winners.

Jayawardene named Captain of the Year-not at all.Vaughan/Dravid deserved it more than this guy

Ponting named ICC Player of the Year
Ponting scoops Test Player of the Year award-Ponting didnt deserve it.M.Yousuf could have got the Test player of the Year and the player of the Year could have been some-one else.

Another thing
Shane Bond in the ICC ODI Team ?
Did he even play a single match to be in that team ?

Sureshot

Executive member
evertonfan said:

I disagree, Bell has emerged as a player he's shown what a class act and what a beautiful batsman he is.

He's really emerged this year, it's not the best new player. I think Bell out performed Asif in this last year, Gaurav.

irottev

School Cricketer
iceman_waugh said:
Another thing
Shane Bond in the ICC ODI Team ?
Did he even play a single match to be in that team ?

18 matches
36 wickets
best of 6-19 vs India
18.11 bowling average.

I think the figures justify his inclusion.

As I said before, since when should this be judged on how many games someone has played. Yes if they only played 10 or less then I understand.

Compare that with Brett Lee.

23 matches (I don't consider 5 being a large difference)
37 wickets
best of 5/22 vs South Africa
26.51 bowling average.

I don't think a further comment is necessary, the stats speak for themselves.

Yousuf:

vs Ponting

Average was better, but less hundreds, maybe it was half fair, though 2 double hundreds in one year and 2 which were close also. Unlucky, very unlucky. Ponting deserved Cricketer of the year though.

GrayNicolls

School Cricketer
I agree that Mohammad Yousuf should have got Test Player of the Year. He aboslutely blitzed England, and if it wasn't for him then England would have trounced Pakistan.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
irottev said:
18 matches
36 wickets
best of 6-19 vs India
18.11 bowling average.

I think the figures justify his inclusion.

You misunderstood me.
I meant this current year. 2005-2006

irottev

School Cricketer
Yeah, exactly, my stats were taken from August 1 2005 - August 8 2006 which was the period.

So why is this year relevant?

Users who are viewing this thread