International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If you don't know Prithvi Shaw, here's him at 15.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Stopped at 47 secs after hearing

'Sachin Tendulkar is widely regarded as the greatness batsman of all time'

SMH!
you should not have started in first place watching that video. The title says "next Sachin Tendulkar"

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
Trying him in the IPL would be the best test of his ability against top international players. International is too far for someone who just started.
I don't believe in that too. Many times, a good test batsmen may not be good in ipl. (Pujara). But yeah, it will definitely be good to see how he faces top bowlers.

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I don't believe in that too. Many times, a good test batsmen may not be good in ipl. (Pujara). But yeah, it will definitely be good to see how he faces top bowlers.
Yes, plus dead pitches. I said it since it's the only way to try him against international bowlers.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Which position is best for MS to bat ?

At 4. But the issue is that there are too many players for that position. He has lost some of his power and his finishing ability and needs to move up the order.

If you see a clear place for him at the WC19, then move him into a role that he can perform rather than living the old memories. He takes time to get in and you can't-do that at 6/7, especially when you have Pandya to take over the role and maybe even Jadhav. It seems a little premature to move Pandya within the top 4 especially if you want him to come and bowl 6+ overs. Not worth the injury, IMHO.

S

Satan666

At 4. But the issue is that there are too many players for that position. He has lost some of his power and his finishing ability and needs to move up the order.

If there are too many players for position 4, why slot in MSD then?

Why not just allow him to play the role more of a wicket keeper who can bat a bit? I agree he has loss some of his finishing ability but he is still head and shoulders above most of the guys when it comes to tail end batting. The top order and middle order is solid. Possibly Hardik could bat lower and develop into a finisher?

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
If there are too many players for position 4, why slot in MSD then?

Why not just allow him to play the role more of a wicket keeper who can bat a bit? I agree he has loss some of his finishing ability but he is still head and shoulders above most of the guys when it comes to tail end batting. The top order and middle order is solid. Possibly Hardik could bat lower and develop into a finisher?

Whats the point of playing him for just a WK when he has the quality to play decent innings still. May as well replace him for a younger and agile keeper - e.g. Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samson (I know, he is still a very good keeper). Admittedly, he can still hit a long ball but not with the regularity that he had 5 years back. He clearly wants to play till the 2019WC and is a pivotal in keeping the team calm when Kohli overexpresses his emotions.

If you play him just as a wicketkeeper, where would you slot him in? Probably 6/7, where he becomes more of a burden than an asset that he can be. He takes him time to get in before hitting the big hits now and that's not the role a finisher should be doing especially when India is chasing those 300+ targets with more regularity.

S

Satan666

Whats the point of playing him for just a WK when he has the quality to play decent innings still. May as well replace him for a younger and agile keeper - e.g. Rishabh Pant, Sanju Samson (I know, he is still a very good keeper). Admittedly, he can still hit a long ball but not with the regularity that he had 5 years back. He clearly wants to play till the 2019WC and is a pivotal in keeping the team calm when Kohli overexpresses his emotions.

If you play him just as a wicketkeeper, where would you slot him in? Probably 6/7, where he becomes more of a burden than an asset that he can be. He takes him time to get in before hitting the big hits now and that's not the role a finisher should be doing especially when India is chasing those 300+ targets with more regularity.

Interesting point you brought up about posting 300 plus scores and chasing them regularly.

So basically what youre saying is that in today's ODI system you need a wk who is also a more than capable batsman to take up any position in the batting lineup.

We need either a Sangakara or Ghilchrist for the perfect ODI IX.

To an extent I agree with you but what I am saying is that MSD is obviously a better keeper than most of the guys on offer in India. You already have a powerful and capable batting lineup so you can afford to slot him at 7. As oppose to have him playing in the difficult number 4 position.[DOUBLEPOST=1506804446][/DOUBLEPOST]I really see him playing after the WC, and should be dropped only if there is someone better, which at this point there aint!

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Interesting point you brought up about posting 300 plus scores and chasing them regularly.

So basically what youre saying is that in today's ODI system you need a wk who is also a more than capable batsman to take up any position in the batting lineup.

We need either a Sangakara or Ghilchrist for the perfect ODI IX.

To an extent I agree with you but what I am saying is that MSD is obviously a better keeper than most of the guys on offer in India. You already have a powerful and capable batting lineup so you can afford to slot him at 7. As oppose to have him playing in the difficult number 4 position.[DOUBLEPOST=1506804446][/DOUBLEPOST]I really see him playing after the WC, and should be dropped only if there is someone better, which at this point there aint!

We are well past the stage of having a keeper on the side for just keeping - no longer would the likes of Rashid Latif, Geraint Jones make it into playing XI. I mean South Africa used AB De Villiers at keeper for so many games before De Kock just to accommodate another useful player into the XI.

Back on Dhoni, I doubt he will play past the 2019 WC, barring maybe T20's. He has a better average at both 4 and 5 (where 5 of his 10 hundred have come at a very decent strike rate). I understand your concern but with position 4 being up for grabs at the moment, it's best to accommodate him there.

upload_2017-9-30_22-0-49.png
Ideally, the India line-up heading into the next year should be:

1. Rohit Sharma
2. Shikhar Dhawan/ Ajinkya Rahane
3. Virat Kohli (c)
4. MS Dhoni (+)
5. Manish Pandey / Similar alternative
6. Kedar Jhadav
7. Hardik Pandya
8. Bhuv Kumar
9. Kuldeep Yadav / Yuvi Chahal
10. Jasprit Bumrah
11. Mohammad Shami

Deep batting and a decent bowling with 5 genuine bowling options - with the ability to use Kedar as a 6th

Last edited:
S

Satan666

We are well past the stage of having a keeper on the side for just keeping - no longer would the likes of Rashid Latif, Geraint Jones make it into playing XI. I mean South Africa used AB De Villiers at keeper for so many games before De Kock just to accommodate another useful player into the XI.

Back on Dhoni, I doubt he will play past the 2019 WC, barring maybe T20's. He has a better average at both 4 and 5 (where 5 of his 10 hundred have come at a very decent strike rate). I understand your concern but with position 4 being up for grabs at the moment, it's best to accommodate him there.

1. Rohit Sharma
3. Virat Kohli (c)
4. MS Dhoni (+)
6. Kedar Yadav
7. Hardik Pandya
8. Bhuv Kumar
10. Jasprit Bumrah
11. Mohammad Shami

Deep batting and a decent bowling with 5 genuine bowling options - with the ability to use Kedar as a 6th

Okay you won me over. Great argument.

Couldnt agree with you more.

Manish.

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
In place of kedhar/Manish they must try Suresh Raina

1. Rohit Sharma
3. Virat Kohli (c)
4. MS Dhoni (+)
6. Kedar Yadav
7. Hardik Pandya
8. Bhuv Kumar
10. Jasprit Bumrah
11. Mohammad Shami

Users who are viewing this thread