Master Bates

School Cricketer
India
ENG....
DD.....
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Rahane can bat at 3. He can negotiate the new ball when he is in good form, which he isn't lately.
I wish Kohli could play like Root (negating the new ball while also playing his strokes, but Kohli plays spin much better than Root)

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I dont understand why all the spotlight is on Pujara and his place in the side. Why should he be on his final warning when he has actually been as consistent/inconsistent as Vijay/Rahane/Dhawan in the last 4-5 series.

If we take the SA series (the only major overseas tour in recent past), Pujara scored 100 runs in 6 innings, while Vijay scored 102 runs in 6 innings. Pujara was actually run out in both innings in the second test trying to prove his "intent", and score a crucial 50 in the last test.

His county stint was poor, no doubt, but I don't think we can simply write him off on that basis.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
I don't think we are going to get a lot of batting time in the second innings the way things are going

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I wish Kohli could play like Root (negating the new ball while also playing his strokes, but Kohli plays spin much better than Root)

Virat Kohli is twice the batsman Joe Root is in his dreams. If you want to compare Root in England to Kohli in India, the difference isn't much. But format to format, everywhere else, Joe has a lot to prove. Among the top 4 he's last on my list in all formats. Just see their performance, not records in places like Australia, SA. Root has won tests and ashes for England at home but nothing abroad. Kohli has done both and only has England to tick off.

As captains, I would say Kohli is the worst international captain of all time. Root is nothing great yet but there's some leadership potential there. I'd be very surprised if Joe doesn't conquer and achieve a lot outside England. He's real quality but still unproven.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Kuldeep finally introduced .. we are feeding a boundary ball every over it seems

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
How I wish Bhuvi was around..

Along with Umesh and Ishant we would have had an attack better than England's. Now that overrated Shami/Bumrah will play!

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
So with Dhawan and Rahul going out to open in the 2nd innings....I think that was a straight shootout between the two for the openers slot. Dhawan getting two ducks in two innings means Rahul's going to play in the first test and Pujara will play at no.3.

bumrahguy

School Cricketer
How I wish Bhuvi was around..

Along with Umesh and Ishant we would have had an attack better than England's. Now that overrated Shami/Bumrah will play!

Utterly ridiculous. Umesh and Ishant have some of the worst control and consistency I have ever seen. In fact, Umesh Yadav is the worst bowler I have ever seen. He must never play for India again. He is leagues behind Bumrah in terms of intelligence, control, length and wicket-taking potential.

Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma are some of the worst pace bowlers I have ever seen. It is impossible for a pace bowler to be worse than these two players.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Hope the twin ducks of Dhawan in this warmup game, has put all doubts to rest on who should open along with Vijay in the first test against England.

I wouldn't worry too much about Pujara. And to be honest, nobody's place is secure in this side bar Kohli. He's capable of dropping anyone. We don't need to overcomplicate and overthink. Let everyone bat where they do. I am 100% not playing Pandya in the test. Our biggest loss is BK. He was the perfect bowler for England and his runs at 8 were crucial.

Something tells me India wont miss Bhuvi much. From all what we've been hearing, conditions are very hot and dry in England. I think this summer could be a batsman's feast in the test series with the spinners probably playing a more bigger role. Yes Bhuvi's batting down the order might be missed but if Pandya and Ashwin both play together, they would neutralize that loss. And as far as Bhuvi the bowler is concerned, I think Ishant and Yadav are capable of handling the duties. Ishant looks good from what we saw this game and also he has had considerable success recently in county and he has put in the hard yards to succeed in England. And Yadav has looked as good as he ever has been. Its Pandya as the third seamer that worries me but if our top 4 bowlers fire, Pandya's dibbly dobblies might not even be needed much.

Utterly ridiculous. Umesh and Ishant have some of the worst control and consistency I have ever seen. In fact, Umesh Yadav is the worst bowler I have ever seen. He must never play for India again. He is leagues behind Bumrah in terms of intelligence, control, length and wicket-taking potential.

Umesh Yadav and Ishant Sharma are some of the worst pace bowlers I have ever seen. It is impossible for a pace bowler to be worse than these two players.

What are you smoking? I think I might need some of that. :rolleyes:rolleyes:noway:(

Yadav has displayed significantly solid control in recent times, starting from the IPL and into the T20's and ODI series here in England. And as far as tests are concerned, Yadav has always displayed immense attacking and wicket taking potential. It is actually weird why he fell out of favor in between with the likes of Bumrah (who is not even test material) getting opportunities above Yadav.

Ishant has been an enigma, but he looks like he is finally putting his career back in place with the hard yards he has done in county cricket. He has not been picked in IPL and due to that, he has went to county and honed himself up. He has been very successful so far in county and that gives India a huge boost because the guy knows the conditions and knows how to bowl in it. In fact, Ishant/Yadav/Bhuvi will be an amazing attack for India in most conditions.

Last edited:

bumrahguy

School Cricketer
Hope the twin ducks of Dhawan in this warmup game, has put all doubts to rest on who should open along with Vijay in the first test against England.

Something tells me India wont miss Bhuvi much. From all what we've been hearing, conditions are very hot and dry in England. I think this summer could be a batsman's feast in the test series with the spinners probably playing a more bigger role. Yes Bhuvi's batting down the order might be missed but if Pandya and Ashwin both play together, they would neutralize that loss. And as far as Bhuvi the bowler is concerned, I think Ishant and Yadav are capable of handling the duties. Ishant looks good from what we saw this game and also he has had considerable success recently in county and he has put in the hard yards to succeed in England. And Yadav has looked as good as he ever has been. Its Pandya as the third seamer that worries me but if our top 4 bowlers fire, Pandya's dibbly dobblies might not even be needed much.

What are you smoking? I think I might need some of that. :rolleyes:rolleyes:noway:(

Yadav has displayed significantly solid control in recent times, starting from the IPL and into the T20's and ODI series here in England. And as far as tests are concerned, Yadav has always displayed immense attacking and wicket taking potential. It is actually weird why he fell out of favor in between with the likes of Bumrah (who is not even test material) getting opportunities above Yadav.

Ishant has been an enigma, but he looks like he is finally putting his career back in place with the hard yards he has done in county cricket. He has not been picked in IPL and due to that, he has went to county and honed himself up. He has been very successful so far in county and that gives India a huge boost because the guy knows the conditions and knows how to bowl in it. In fact, Ishant/Yadav/Bhuvi will be an amazing attack for India in most conditions.
If you believe Ishant/Yadav/Bhuvi is an amazing attack, you have seriously low standards. Second point, how do you write off Bumrah and know that he is not test potential? Just because he is young? Look at his excellent first class average of 25. This shows serious test capability.

Also, Umesh Yadav may have ''solid'' control by your standards, but he has very poor control by mine.

Umesh Yadav is the worst bowler I have ever seen. Bumrah is an intellectual, a scientist, a mathematician. In test cricket terms, he bowls with solid control in the corridor, always getting serious bounce whilst possessing the ability to bring wickets out of nowhere. He is an X-factor, who is also metronomic, controlled and intellectual. He MUST play if he is fit.

Your assertion that Umesh Yadav showed good form in the ODIs and T20s is ridiculous. He was very poor in most matches, and has only been good for the present match against Essex, granted for which he earns his place in the starting lineup given the pitiful nature of the other available pace bowlers (barring Bumrah, who is excellent).

Your assertion that Umesh Yadav shows wicket taking potential is contradicted by his test average, which is well above 30, which also means he is consuming valuable resources and presents an opportunity cost in terms of giving chances to other youngsters and emerging quicks, who surely cannot be worse.

Umesh Yadav must be replaced/thrown out as soon as possible. The same logic applies for Ishant Sharma.

Also, Pant must replace one of Dhawan, Pujara and Pandya. He is too good a batsman to miss out.

Last edited:

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Rahane can bat at 3. He can negotiate the new ball when he is in good form, which he isn't lately.
I don't see why this is necessary if Pujara is there. I feel if he doesn't score a hundred or something substantial in the first three Tests, he'll be dropped and Rahane will be the #3. It's a good idea, but Pujara has the experience and capability to bat there rather than #5 as some people here are saying. I'll say this again, the batting should NOT be tinkered around with just yet. A change of openers is different, but India need to stick with the same top 6 that they've maintained over the last few years (with one out of Rahul/Dhawan for opener). Pujara should not be at #5.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Profile Flag
India
I don't see why this is necessary if Pujara is there. I feel if he doesn't score a hundred or something substantial in the first three Tests, he'll be dropped and Rahane will be the #3. It's a good idea, but Pujara has the experience and capability to bat there rather than #5 as some people here are saying. I'll say this again, the batting should NOT be tinkered around with just yet. A change of openers is different, but India need to stick with the same top 6 that they've maintained over the last few years (with one out of Rahul/Dhawan for opener). Pujara should not be at #5.
I never told Pujara should bat at 5. He should be at #3 else out of the team. I was just replying to sinister_one when he said there is no player apart from Pujara who can play at #3.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
I never told Pujara should bat at 5. He should be at #3 else out of the team. I was just replying to sinister_one when he said there is no player apart from Pujara who can play at #3.
Yes I know. I said "some people", which I wasn't directly referring to you. I only said that Rahane should not bat there while Pujara is in the XI.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Looks like a relative of Bumrah's has joined PlanetCricket.[DOUBLEPOST=1532821096][/DOUBLEPOST]It'll be interesting to see Vijay and DK bat together. Hope they're pro about it.

RichieBGM

Associate Captain
This thread is heavily in favor of India. I am on the fence.. as as you can read I am Australian. I expect this to be an exciting 5 tester. Can not pick the winner. England certainly wont have it all their own way as the conditions are different from the norm. This will be a far closer contest than the past with a fair duel between bat and ball. Expect to get some Pommie opposition when my Geordie mate Shadowplayer comes on here.

Users who are viewing this thread