India tour of South Africa

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Float like a butterfly, Sting like AB!!!!

Wonder how some of those idiots feel about writing him off earlier and calling him over rated. :clap:spy

We get it bro, you have a crush on AB!!!

On a more related note, it's nice to watch a decent test match after some time. India was always in the backseat after losing the toss, but they did a good job to get South Africa out cheaply this morning.

With a target like 200 on a pitch like this you will certainly get out, its simply about scoring will you're there - something for the likes of Pujara.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Well a good test match to watch as a neutral but not so good if you are an Indian fan. I completely agree with people who are complaining about selection. There is no way we should start with Dhawan and Rohit when we have Rahul and Rahane in the squad. Hopefully management and captain realizes that and gets them back in the final 11 for 2nd test match.

For people complaining about Kohli's failure is absolutely ridiculous. There is no way we were ever going to achieve this target once Kohli got out. He looked in control in the inning he played today but just missed a straight one which was unfortunate. The amount of movement our bowlers generated from the pitch, it was clear that their bowlers were going to bowl better simply because their bowlers are better.

As a batsman you never quite feel settled on this types of pitches because there was something in the pitch for bowlers every time they pitched it in the right areas. Philander is someone who will always hit those areas ball after ball and that is why he is so difficult to face especially when he gets it to seam from the surface. It was important for our openers to see off the new ball as I feel without Dale Steyn, South Africa might have struggled with the old ball. However, that did not happen and we ended up paying the price for it.

Also, Shami cannot be moody. Far too often he just doesn't run in. I'd give him a sound earful. The pundits were raving about Bumrah but IMHO, AB could have run up and bowled and taken 2-3 wickets with the amount of juice in the wicket.

Totally agree with that. Far too often he just doesn't run in even when the pitch is offering assistance. It's almost as if he doesn't have fitness to do so which is surprising since under Kohli, one of the main mantra of the team is to be fitter.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
We get it bro, you have a crush on AB!!!

On a more related note, it's nice to watch a decent test match after some time. India was always in the backseat after losing the toss, but they did a good job to get South Africa out cheaply this morning.

With a target like 200 on a pitch like this you will certainly get out, its simply about scoring will you're there - something for the likes of Pujara.

What's your point?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I do too. We didn't get blown away. The only issue was the batting, which is unusual because every time overseas the issue is bowling and this time that wasn't the case. He needs to step up his own performance though, no need to talk all the pre-series crap if you can't back it up on the ground and Pujara as well - "we can chase 350 to win". If you struggle to get a 100 in each innings how can you chase 350 lol.

72 runs on that wicket is a decent margin of defeat. Had Pandya not played out of his skin, we would have been embarrassed.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Fairly routine in the end. Hopefully we get Morris in for Steyn. Happy with the performance

B

Bigby Wolf

Pretty much my team minus Yadav plus Ishant. Ishant gives me control as well as bounce. I think he's become a really good test bowler. Yadav leaks runs and people under estimate the value of a control bowler.

Also, Shami cannot be moody. Far too often he just doesn't run in. I'd give him a sound earful. The pundits were raving about Bumrah but IMHO, AB could have run up and bowled and taken 2-3 wickets with the amount of juice in the wicket.

Lastly, Pandya at 6, Ashwin at 7 and Saha at 8. Saha is a walking wicket here with his front foot game..
Agree with the Ishant thing deserves a chance in the XI just feel he has become a better bowler in the past year or so did well for Delhi in the Ranji trophy as well.

Saha is top class wk but almost a free wicket due to his inadequate batting. Its really a worrying sign for us that we still don't have not only a decent wicket Kepeer but a good batter in the side. Although Parthiv Patel is a reserved keeper for the tour but his keeping skills are horrible keeper (has this knack of dropping crucial catches).

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I can't help feeling disappointed that India could've won if there were proper selections and smart cricket was played. I feel frustrated that the team could've come out with a comeback victory if it weren't for poor shot selections. Our bowlers bowled better than expected, but the batsmen just failed to back them up. First off, Rohit cannot play good fast bowlers. First and second innings he did not look comfortable at all and looked like he could get out any ball. If we had a more established batsman like Rahane, surely the match would've gone closer. Also, Dhawan cannot play proper fast bowlers on wickets that assist them. Played a stupid shot in the first and got bounced out in the second. Looks like the players are getting hype and put into the team based on one day performances. After all, that's why Rohit, Dhawan, and Bumrah are doing here in the first place. India need to select proper players who are good for TESTS, not players they can just pluck from the limited overs scene. This worked for Pandya and a few others, but doesn't always work.

I'm noticing a lot of blame towards Kohli and Saha, which I don't understand. Keep in mind he is a human being also, he makes mistakes and doesn't look uncomfortable at the crease like Dhawan and Rohit Sharma. This is what happens when you have extremely high expectations for a player and everybody starts to put them down based on one performance. I believe he will do better in the next test.
Saha on the other hand, is our best keeper out there. He never was much of a good wicket keeper batsman like Bairstow and de Kock today, but he's our best glove man who took 10 catches in the match. Parthiv Patel is a better batsman but not as good keeper. Saha is mainly a front foot player but he will slowly adjust.
My lineup for next test

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Ashwin
Pandya
Saha
Kumar
Shami
Yadav/Bumrah

It would be nice to have a fast bowler who can really get it up above 140 km to support Bhuvi and Shami. Wouldn't mind Bumrah but Umesh is still the better option. Rohit looks clueless against the likes of Rabada, Morkel and Philander. Dhawan cannot play the short ball.

I believe our team can still win if we focus and make smart decisions, in selections and in batting and bowling. Us fans need to remain optimistic though India lost today.

S

Satan666

Also shows how big mouth talks do no good before the series. Both our coach and captain need to realize that. And ffs get the players who can actually win us games in the XI!

Where they gonna find that? In the IPL? No in the Ranji Trophy, many guys worthy of this tour yet stick with the rockstars of T20 cricket.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Well that was not bad. Indian bowlers were spot on and showed if there is seam the Indian seamers will be lethal too. We lost the match only because of the first innings and piss poor selection especially of Rahane being dropped for piss poor always in favor Rohit Sharma. No matter how many runs he scores in ODI's he is and should be no where near the test side. He plays one inning and sleeps for a year. Rahane is and will always be greater and better than Rohit Sharma. With Kohli though the deserving players will not be playing and only close family and relatives will play. Time is not too far that when Virat and Anushka have a kid he/she will be in Kohli's team.:facepalm

Dhawan and Rohit has to go out. Rahul and Rahane has to come in. Bowling wise I am willing to stay with the same. The margin of loss was not much and had we scored better in first innings(thanks to Hardik for even getting us close) we actually were in position of winning this.

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I can't help feeling disappointed that India could've won if there were proper selections and smart cricket was played. I feel frustrated that the team could've come out with a comeback victory if it weren't for poor shot selections. Our bowlers bowled better than expected, but the batsmen just failed to back them up. First off, Rohit cannot play good fast bowlers. First and second innings he did not look comfortable at all and looked like he could get out any ball. If we had a more established batsman like Rahane, surely the match would've gone closer. Also, Dhawan cannot play proper fast bowlers on wickets that assist them. Played a stupid shot in the first and got bounced out in the second. Looks like the players are getting hype and put into the team based on one day performances. After all, that's why Rohit, Dhawan, and Bumrah are doing here in the first place. India need to select proper players who are good for TESTS, not players they can just pluck from the limited overs scene. This worked for Pandya and a few others, but doesn't always work.

I'm noticing a lot of blame towards Kohli and Saha, which I don't understand. Keep in mind he is a human being also, he makes mistakes and doesn't look uncomfortable at the crease like Dhawan and Rohit Sharma. This is what happens when you have extremely high expectations for a player and everybody starts to put them down based on one performance. I believe he will do better in the next test.
Saha on the other hand, is our best keeper out there. He never was much of a good wicket keeper batsman like Bairstow and de Kock today, but he's our best glove man who took 10 catches in the match. Parthiv Patel is a better batsman but not as good keeper. Saha is mainly a front foot player but he will slowly adjust.
My lineup for next test

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Ashwin
Pandya
Saha
Kumar
Shami
Yadav/Bumrah

It would be nice to have a fast bowler who can really get it up above 140 km to support Bhuvi and Shami. Wouldn't mind Bumrah but Umesh is still the better option. Rohit looks clueless against the likes of Rabada, Morkel and Philander. Dhawan cannot play the short ball.

I believe our team can still win if we focus and make smart decisions, in selections and in batting and bowling. Us fans need to remain optimistic though India lost today.
Ashwin was quite comfortable, so i agree with putting him at 6 and Saha at 8.

namin96

Club Captain

My lineup for next test

Vijay
Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Ashwin
Pandya
Saha
Kumar
Shami
Yadav/Bumrah

I'm not sure he will bring Rahul in for Dhawan because of the left right combination at the top we would have. He really should because Rahul is a better player than Dhawan in Tests. Rahul was the main reason we turned around the series against Australia at home and I don't understand how many more chances Dhawan will get. Then also Centurion is supposed to have more bounce and pace, I'd probably consider no Ashwin and go in with Umesh which makes 4 fast bowlers - Umesh, Kumar, Shami, Bumrah. Now that would be a handful for them if we pick that combination. We saw today that they can also struggle with good quality pace, and we can take advantage of that. I know it's tough on Ashwin because he really played well this match, but we have to go in with what gives us the best chance, and I think that lineup is much stronger batting wise and adds more pace to the bowling as well. I like Umesh over Ishant because Umesh can get it to reverse swing at a really good pace compared to Ishant. Ishant to me just doesn't seem like a wicket taking bowler, Umesh can attack.

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Being a big fan of Rohit, I admit he ain't a test material.

Rohit need to adapt situations and condition before playing any shot.I think Kohli can use him only on flat & home track.Rahul is much technically right than Rohit.Ravi Shastri like Rohit as test batsman and that's hurting India especially in overseas.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Rohit need to adapt situations and condition before playing any shot.I think Kohli can use him only on flat & home track.Rahul is much technically right than Rohit.Ravi Shastri like Rohit as test batsman and that's hurting India especially in overseas.

There is nothing wrong with Rohit's technique. He's one of the few blokes who like AB can pull on the front foot. His issue is his temperament and game sense. He's finally become a force in limited overs, but it took him 7-8 years to master that. We can't waste another 7-8 years waiting for him to get his test game sorted. He was not even himself in the first test. He forgot he's a stroke maker and not a Pujara kind solid bat.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Didn’t watch a lot of the test but from what I did watch it’s so great to see Maharaj playing in the side. Quality find by the selectors and looks to keep getting better. 60 odd wickets after 15 matches is very impressive considering those 15 include a tour down under. With him in the side I feel that we should play 7 batsmen now with Steyns injury. I would bring De Bruyn in but we all know it will be Bavuma

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I'm not sure he will bring Rahul in for Dhawan because of the left right combination at the top we would have. He really should because Rahul is a better player than Dhawan in Tests. Rahul was the main reason we turned around the series against Australia at home and I don't understand how many more chances Dhawan will get. Then also Centurion is supposed to have more bounce and pace, I'd probably consider no Ashwin and go in with Umesh which makes 4 fast bowlers - Umesh, Kumar, Shami, Bumrah. Now that would be a handful for them if we pick that combination. We saw today that they can also struggle with good quality pace, and we can take advantage of that. I know it's tough on Ashwin because he really played well this match, but we have to go in with what gives us the best chance, and I think that lineup is much stronger batting wise and adds more pace to the bowling as well. I like Umesh over Ishant because Umesh can get it to reverse swing at a really good pace compared to Ishant. Ishant to me just doesn't seem like a wicket taking bowler, Umesh can attack.

There's no need to fix an issue that isn't there. Ashwin's biggest critic here is me but he was one of the few shining lights of the first test and never really got to bowl. Bumrah should be replaced with Ishant and if Shami can run in then he should be there else Yadav. Our issue is the batting.

Dhawan is in the team because he's a lefty. That's the IQ of our coach and captain.

I think to further disturb the line and length of the bowlers we must alternate between lefties and righties. Dhawan/Vijay followed by Pujara. Then Suresh Raina at 4. Kohli at 5 and bring back a retired Ganguly at 6. Ashwin at 7 and Vinod Kambli at 8. Bhuvi 9, Barinder Sran at 10 and then have no one at 11 so that this order doesn't get disturbed.

Users who are viewing this thread