IPL Indian Premier League 2016- General Discussion

Which team will be the champion of IPL 2017?

• Delhi Daredevils

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kolkata Knight Riders

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Kings XI Punjab

• Mumbai Indians

• Rising Pune Supergiants

• Gujarat Lions

• Sunrisers Hyderabad

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Royal Challengers Bangalore

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
KKR ! RCB, Done and dusted. An excellent show of run chase with some quality hitting. Pathan and Russell were just too good for them.

[HASHTAG]#KorboLorboJeetbo[/HASHTAG]

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
My god. Am so mad at RCB. #### this. Honestly batting was bad. They know their weakness and they know their strong areas. They should have gotten extra 15 runs. First 10 overs, we batted very slowly. Even in the last match batting was horrible. And that is supposed to be our strengthThe only positive in this game is chahal. He bowled superbly. It's all but over for RCB this season. I don't think we will ever win IPL.

This RCB side is one of the best sides in the league, but they have the worst management and I'm sorry to say but if the captain has a say in selection then even Kohli. Why? He chops and changes WAY too much. MSD never changes a side and VK makes four-five changes every game. I've been screaming for centuries that you need to trust your domestic talent ala Stuart Binny. The foreign pool can only win you so many games. VK has been batting like a super human and that too will at some point become more 'human.' Look at the talent RCB have. Guys like Sarfaraz, Jadhav and Baby would walk into PLENTY of IPL sides, but they never get a consistent run. Chris Gayle is the biggest waste to have in that RCB team because he comes at a regal price of 9.5 cr and he's NEVER EVER going to be in the AB de Villiers league. You HAVE TO play Watson because he's a GENUINE match winner with bat and ball. RCB see some MYSTERY in Shamzi but I see only SHAM. Unless you have all your remaining foreigners unwell, I see NO reason for him to play. Look at Chahal! The guy has been a match winner for 2 seasons and he got dropped after a few bad games! You HAVE TO back your players! Chopping and changing doesn't help!

I am in no way implying that Gayle isn't a quality player but he's not as CONSISTENT as AB and the latter is equally destructive! Plus, AB has made runs in pressure situations, chasing and setting, Gayle hasn't, specially against QUALITY bowling, but that's just my opinion. The only thing working for them was Kohli opening and AB at 3 and for some reason they decided to change that today! BIZARRE!

THIS should be the RCB line up in batting order-

Watson :os:
Kohli :c:
De Villiers :os:
Rahul (Badreenath sort of role @ CSK)
Mandeep Singh / Sarfaraz Khan / Sachin Baby (play two of these)
Stuart Binny
Chris Jordan :os:
Varun Aaron / Vikramjeet Malik / Srinath Aravind
Adam Milne :os: (why he got dropped after a reasonable game is beyond me!)
Yuzvendra Chahal

BACK A TEAM!! Your domestic fast bowling is getting carted around! It's not rocket science to figure you need two foreign QUICKS!! Milne did a terrific job in the recently concluded World T20 and I have no idea why he's not playing!!

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
KKR ! RCB, Done and dusted. An excellent show of run chase with some quality hitting. Pathan and Russell were just too good for them.

[HASHTAG]#KorboLorboJeetbo[/HASHTAG]
2-0. :D [HASHTAG]#DilseIndian[/HASHTAG]

Was supporting RCB last night due to some mathematics for us but unfortunately they lost. Next game straight after a week i.e. next Sunday vs SRH at their state which is next venue. We are playing home to them at their home!

grkrama

National Board President
he captain has a say in selection then even Kohli. Why? He chops and changes WAY too much. MSD never changes a side and VK makes four-five changes every game.

ya its also very unlike the test captain kohli we know, i think they still havnt fitted the roles of players in the team which is the most crucial thing, i mean even virat himself is opening a couple games then moving down, they just need to sit down get a plan, give roles to players and stick with it!
Sarfraz has been amazing, cant see any reason in him being dropped! With regards to gayle, he will still come good with a few matches every tournament if persisted with, though he is a bit overprized for the value he brings to team!

Its not just batting but also bowlers who need roles, you should know who is going to bowl at death who is goign to strangle in the middle etc instead of randomly playing everybody! Also knowing their weakness is bowling they should aim for more when setting targets!

I certainly believe in shamzi sham :p no idea why he is treated like narine by VK

My eleven would be

Gayle
Kohli
De Villiers
watson
Sarfaraz Khan
Rahul / sachin baby
Stuart Binny/ mandeep singh
Chris Jordan
Varun Aaron
Yuzvendra Chahal
rasool

I would use watto and jordon for the death overs, chahal and rasool to strangle in middle and open with aaron and binny! Also let the batting keep firing till sarfraz, and if things dont go well rahul binny jordan can always play it to a safety score!

Last edited:

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
This RCB side is one of the best sides in the league, but they have the worst management and I'm sorry to say but if the captain has a say in selection then even Kohli. Why? He chops and changes WAY too much. MSD never changes a side and VK makes four-five changes every game. I've been screaming for centuries that you need to trust your domestic talent ala Stuart Binny. The foreign pool can only win you so many games. VK has been batting like a super human and that too will at some point become more 'human.' Look at the talent RCB have. Guys like Sarfaraz, Jadhav and Baby would walk into PLENTY of IPL sides, but they never get a consistent run. Chris Gayle is the biggest waste to have in that RCB team because he comes at a regal price of 9.5 cr and he's NEVER EVER going to be in the AB de Villiers league. You HAVE TO play Watson because he's a GENUINE match winner with bat and ball. RCB see some MYSTERY in Shamzi but I see only SHAM. Unless you have all your remaining foreigners unwell, I see NO reason for him to play. Look at Chahal! The guy has been a match winner for 2 seasons and he got dropped after a few bad games! You HAVE TO back your players! Chopping and changing doesn't help!

I am in no way implying that Gayle isn't a quality player but he's not as CONSISTENT as AB and the latter is equally destructive! Plus, AB has made runs in pressure situations, chasing and setting, Gayle hasn't, specially against QUALITY bowling, but that's just my opinion. The only thing working for them was Kohli opening and AB at 3 and for some reason they decided to change that today! BIZARRE!

Stuart Binny
Yuzvendra Chahal

BACK A TEAM!! Your domestic fast bowling is getting carted around! It's not rocket science to figure you need two foreign QUICKS!! Milne did a terrific job in the recently concluded World T20 and I have no idea why he's not playing!!
Kohli's captaincy is very bad in this ipl tbh. Sarfaraz was playing so nicely and he gets dropped. Binny doesn't even get a proper chance and he will be dropped every alternate games. Sometimes Rahul comes in the middle and now he opened. Kohli was good while opening and he came down 1 down yesterday. Shamsi was belted in his 3 overs and he still comes to bowl the penultimate over. Jordan is good in death and he doesn't get picked. Shamsi isn't good enough. They should drop him. He has played 4 games and hasn't impressed. And Milne is a good bowler. He played just 1 match and he was dropped later on. They should include him for the next match.

Gayle is a high profile player. It will be difficult to drop him. He can be dangerous. He just needs one good game and he will be back on track. We need a good start. Scoring just 40 runs in PP in Bangalore is below par. Although I agree to some extent that Gayle is not consistent and he should be dropped. But, it's difficult to drop him. He can single handedly destroy the opposition. He just needs one good game. But dunno when he will get that. I will go with this line up for the next match against Pune-

Gayle
Kohli
ABD
Watto
Rahul
Sarfaraz
Binny
Jordan
Chahal
Aravind
Malik/ Aaron. But I say, lets give chance to Malik. He has plenty of experience and feel he can do a better job.

The top 4 should just smash,smash and smash. This is a must. We can't win with any score which is below 200. As grkrama mentioned, if things fall away, Rahul and Sarfaraz can play slowly.

How much are we missing Starc and Badree ! Why did both of them get inured ? Damn.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Also, do you guys think Watto should be in the team ? He hasn't done any remarkable damage apart from 1 or 2 games. We can get Milne in for Watto. Anyway, our local boys like rahul, baby, sarfaraz are doing good job with bat. With Milne and Jordan our bowling might look better. [HASHTAG]#NoHatePlease[/HASHTAG].

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I wonder why Amla isn't in the IPL. His consistency would be needed by any side (I'd put him in over Gayle).

I get annoyed that Albie Morkel keeps walking in at 6 or 7 behind Perera. Bat Morkel out 4 or 5 and he'll score you a huge score often...

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Also, do you guys think Watto should be in the team ? He hasn't done any remarkable damage apart from 1 or 2 games. We can get Milne in for Watto. Anyway, our local boys like rahul, baby, sarfaraz are doing good job with bat. With Milne and Jordan our bowling might look better. [HASHTAG]#NoHatePlease[/HASHTAG].

Watson would be my third foreign pick behind Jordan and Milne, even ahead of AB and Gayle. Why? A team is placed much before it's stars. I've said it numerous times that the auction is actually the most important part of the IPL. The RCB management is absolutely delusional to the requirements of the captain. I see no room for AB de Villiers AND Chris Gayle in the squad. You've spent 9.2 and 9.5 crores on them but the home ground where half the matches are played demands star bowlers, not star batsmen. So, you either have exceptional domestic bowling talent ala Sunrisers Hyderabad or you go for domestic batsmen with a star foreign batsman and an underrated foreign batsman just incase your star batsman gets injured or is woefully out of form. From where I see, Travis Head is a quality buy as the injury replacement, and you either play AB/Gayle. The comparison? AB will field (I feel RCB need him to keep), run between wickets, score runs more consistently, be equally destructive and win you games on his own like Gayle will minus the inconsistency. You only need to look at Kane Williamson in the World T20 and the sides he picked to know that the team comes before the stars! Watson is a good enough match for Gayle as an opener. Probably his SR will be 160-180 compared to the 180-190 of Gayle but the man gives you wickets and bowls at the hammer time situations. I reiterate- You have to play Milne and Jordan and open with Binny! Think about it, you have the option of Jordan and Milne/Watson at the death! If you don't opt for that then one of those seamers controls the middle period. It's what RCB desperately needs!!

Is it just me or does anyone else feel RCB should hand AB the gloves? He's having major shoulder trouble. If you guys notice, he only half throws the ball from the deep unlike a Kohli who lets rip. I get the de Villiers in the field logic, but first you need a safe wicketkeeper and Rahul/Jadhav aren't the answer!

REPEAT-

Watson
Kohli (c)
de Villiers (wk)
Rahul
Baby
Sarfaraz
Binny
Jordan
Milne
V Malik/ S Aravind
Chahal

If RCB play this side and qualify or win an IPL, may be even next year, RCB fans will gladly take it. Even without Gayle. MI fans did when SRT couldn't play, for injury reasons. Winning is the only thing that matters in sport! You should learn to lose before you win, true, but not without knowing you did all you can to win! Do RCB have the guts to do that or are we saying 'Hey, we retain five of our best players and go into the auction next year when the whole thing is rebooted and try make a better squad and take it from there?'

Last edited:

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I wonder why Amla isn't in the IPL. His consistency would be needed by any side (I'd put him in over Gayle).

I get annoyed that Albie Morkel keeps walking in at 6 or 7 behind Perera. Bat Morkel out 4 or 5 and he'll score you a huge score often...

Amla isn't in the IPL because absolute stone heads sit in the auctions! Apart from KKR and the now suspended CSK and RR franchises, they all sit with a baton in the auction and just go ALL OUT for a player they've short listed. I think the Gayle/Amla argument in T20's is far fetched, but there are a lot worse players than Hash in the IPL and playing! Albie Morkel? He's again good, but not as good as you perhaps think! I don't rate Thisara, so.. The guy who should bat at 4 is now batting at 4 and I pray MS stays there! Though it's a little too late now.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
The list of injured players for Pune can almost be made into a makeshift XI - Faf, KP, Marsh, Steve Smith. All the big guns around whom the team was built.

Pune need to go for Parnell or Bopara to fill Marsh's gap. And Dhoni maybe can ask Huss master if he wants to play with him (Huss is in India, commentating). Or Amla/Dilshan if Huss doesn't want or is costly. I am still supporting Pune till they have no mathematical chances of qualifying. I am supporting the 'match fixer' Dhoni who fixed games during the England series as told by our saint manager and re-iterated by some great people here :rolleyes

I think Bopara is an excellent choice although Bhatia is somewhat similar! Plus there are so many allrounders already, but I see your point. Agree with Amla, NO DILSHAN, please!!

Can you please touch on the match fixer bit? I really would like to know who said those things!

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Kohli's captaincy is very bad in this ipl tbh. Sarfaraz was playing so nicely and he gets dropped. Binny doesn't even get a proper chance and he will be dropped every alternate games. Sometimes Rahul comes in the middle and now he opened. Kohli was good while opening and he came down 1 down yesterday. Shamsi was belted in his 3 overs and he still comes to bowl the penultimate over. Jordan is good in death and he doesn't get picked. Shamsi isn't good enough. They should drop him. He has played 4 games and hasn't impressed. And Milne is a good bowler. He played just 1 match and he was dropped later on. They should include him for the next match.

Gayle is a high profile player. It will be difficult to drop him. He can be dangerous. He just needs one good game and he will be back on track. We need a good start. Scoring just 40 runs in PP in Bangalore is below par. Although I agree to some extent that Gayle is not consistent and he should be dropped. But, it's difficult to drop him. He can single handedly destroy the opposition. He just needs one good game. But dunno when he will get that. I will go with this line up for the next match against Pune-

Gayle
Kohli
ABD
Watto
Rahul
Sarfaraz
Binny
Jordan
Chahal
Aravind
Malik/ Aaron. But I say, lets give chance to Malik. He has plenty of experience and feel he can do a better job.

The top 4 should just smash,smash and smash. This is a must. We can't win with any score which is below 200. As grkrama mentioned, if things fall away, Rahul and Sarfaraz can play slowly.

How much are we missing Starc and Badree ! Why did both of them get inured ? Damn.

With the current form gayle is going on, i don't think he will be back in this ipl season

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India

Stuart Binny
Yuzvendra Chahal

they are lacking with team spirit and good captaincy actually

garryjo82

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
ya its also very unlike the test captain kohli we know, i think they still havnt fitted the roles of players in the team which is the most crucial thing, i mean even virat himself is opening a couple games then moving down, they just need to sit down get a plan, give roles to players and stick with it!
Sarfraz has been amazing, cant see any reason in him being dropped! With regards to gayle, he will still come good with a few matches every tournament if persisted with, though he is a bit overprized for the value he brings to team!

Its not just batting but also bowlers who need roles, you should know who is going to bowl at death who is goign to strangle in the middle etc instead of randomly playing everybody! Also knowing their weakness is bowling they should aim for more when setting targets!

I certainly believe in shamzi sham :p no idea why he is treated like narine by VK

My eleven would be

Gayle
Kohli
De Villiers
watson
Sarfaraz Khan
Rahul / sachin baby
Stuart Binny/ mandeep singh
Chris Jordan
Varun Aaron
Yuzvendra Chahal
rasool

I would use watto and jordon for the death overs, chahal and rasool to strangle in middle and open with aaron and binny! Also let the batting keep firing till sarfraz, and if things dont go well rahul binny jordan can always play it to a safety score!
canty understand why sarfraz is out

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Lokesh Rahul
Shane Watson/Kohli
Ab de Villiers/ Kohli
Ab de Villiers/ Watson
Sarfaraz Kahn
Kedar Jadhav
Sachin Baby
Stuart Binny
Adam Milne
Chris Jordan
Yuzvendra Chahal

The problem with RCB is the fact that the brought Wiese and Kane Richardson who aren't very good. I don't know if players like Boult were unsold but they desperately need better bowlers. I'd go with this team and if Binny struggles take him out for another bowler.

What happened to Varun Aaron? I thought he was going to be the next big thing but he seems rather ordinary...

Users who are viewing this thread