Indian Premier League - General Discussion

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
He was just about to deliver and surely that much of backing up is okay and this was a horrible act by Ashwin.

You ought to have some part of yourself (including your bat) within the crease until the ball leaves the bowler's hand. The law allows "Mankading". Normally as a gentlemanly conduct, bowlers warn batsman a few times before indulging in this. But that's not really a written rule. There is nothing like "this much of backing up is okay" thing.

As I said, the impact will be bigger here because of the person involved (Buttler with the form he was in and the runs he had scored). But thats good because it brings more focus onto that rule and creates debate on whether it should stay or not. I personally think it should stay in an already batsman dominated game.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He was just about to deliver and surely that much of backing up is okay and this was a horrible act by Ashwin.
That much of backing is less ? If a bowler steps out of line even by a centimeter, it's given no ball. Why should it be ok for batsmen ? You know how close run outs are nowadays.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I disagree. Why did Butler leave the crease ? He is gaining advantage here ! And just look how ahead he was already.

The last time this happened was in U19 WC and it was rightly given out even that time.
I must be watching a different game then because from what I saw I feel it was Ashwin who deliberately stopped at the last moment and that is what allowed Buttler to leave the crease.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Hotstar live streaming quality of the IPL is poor - a lot of pixelation even at @720p which is surprising considering they do broadcast Premier league matches whose quality is way better than what they are showing in the IPL.

Hmm ... running very smoothly for me at 1080p also on mobile data

Havent tried on a bigger screen

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I must be watching a different game then because from what I saw I feel it was Ashwin who deliberately stopped at the last moment and that is what allowed Buttler to leave the crease.
From what I saw in the highlights Butler was already out of crease even before Ash decided to stop.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
That much of backing is less ? If a bowler steps out of line even by a centimeter, it's given no ball. Why should it be ok for batsmen ? You know how close run outs are nowadays.
If you see properly, I feel if Ashwin had delivered the ball it would have looked alright. It is just that Ashwin paused and that is why you feel Buttler was backing up too far.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
If you see properly, I feel if Ashwin had delivered the ball it would have looked alright. It is just that Ashwin paused and that is why you feel Buttler was backing up too far.
Alright, I might have missed that. I saw the highlights once when 3rd umpire was making the decision and it looked like Butler left the crease even before Ash stopped.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I am with Rebel2k19

Ashwin tried to be oversmart here and stopped to purposefully push Butler outside the crease. It would have been very marginal if there wasn't such an exaggerated pause. Wont demonize Ashwin for it, because he found a loophole here, but still that was not very sporting

Butler was not doing it on purpose, it was very natural and smooth backing up and he had barely gone too far

B

Bigby Wolf

Ashwin has this knack of mankading batsmen saw a couple of times he did that - CB series 2012 vs Sri Lanka and one against Smith in 2013 for CSK on both ocassions Dhoni being the captain the appeal was withdrawn considering the spirit of the game. But different people different perspective I guess, IMO a proper 1st warning would have been ideal though before actually running him out.

Also Buttler this is the 2nd time he has been mankad - 1st time vs SL in 2014 and today in this match.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
The Law 41.16 states about the ball must be released before a non striker can leave his ground

As I said in my previous post, either take out this rule or just stop complaining when someone actually goes ahead and does something which is completely within the law. Don't bring out this spirit of cricket nonsense when it is convenient for the situation.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I am not going to go deep into this 'mankading' debate. There are some people who prefer the spirit of the game and some like to follow rules. I just know that Buttler was not warned and he left the crease once the bowler was in his leap. I can say safely that what Buttler did is what happens 99.9% times and he was not gaining any advantage.

At least it gives us a brilliant insight into the kind of human being Ashwin is. More power to him I say. Unfortunately, it won't be enough to put him in the world cup squad and with the rise of Kuldeep Yadav, this might be the only thing he does all year round.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
The Law 41.16 states about the ball must be released before a non striker can leave his ground

As I said in my previous post, either take out this rule or just stop complaining when someone actually goes ahead and does something which is completely within the law. Don't bring out this spirit of cricket nonsense when it is convenient for the situation.
Yeah but the bowler can stop and delay his delivery and wait and when you are out of the crease he will run you out...

Users who are viewing this thread