Mar 4 - New Zealand vs Zimbabwe

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Zimbabwe's best chance was bowling first and letting the spinners loose. Their spinners aren't known for being destructive and that looks like what will be needed going by the total they will be posting.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I still can't see how people can have a problem with Oram, he's not a strike bowler, but he's one of the best containment bowlers in the world. Sure I admit his batting's pretty average these days, but if you play him along with Mills and Southee instead of Bennett, it would make a hell of a lot more sense IMO.

ferg512

International Coach
I cant see how you can justify Bennetts selection after going for 63 from 7 overs.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
How do you justify any players selection after a poor performance?

Owzat

International Coach
Sorry, but how do Zimbabwe expect to win games when their tail is so long?!?!?!? Why so many bowlers!?!?

Lamb and Chigumbura can bowl, why do they need Utseya, Price, Cremer AND Panyangera? That said, if their batsmen aren't scoring runs then the length of the tail isn't going to make any difference. If Taibu is listed as the keeper then why is Chakabva in the side? (ordinary batsman, listed as a keeper) Is this FOUR wicket-keepers in the side with Coventry and Taylor also having kept? (in the past)

Shame so many of these games have been over by half-time :(

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I cant see how you can justify Bennetts selection after going for 63 from 7 overs.

Guessing they are going off his first game and the fact he took 2 wickets in that 63 runs so they are trying to use him like Australia does with Johnson/Tait.

ferg512

International Coach
How do you justify any players selection after a poor performance?

True

----------

Guessing they are going off his first game and the fact he took 2 wickets in that 63 runs so they are trying to use him like Australia does with Johnson/Tait.

Yeah but Johnson and Tait haven't been going at 9 an over and given that his two wickets were when Australia was like 130-0, I dont think they should really be considered.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Yeah but Johnson and Tait haven't been going at 9 an over and given that his two wickets were when Australia was like 130-0, I dont think they should really be considered.

What do you mean? Yes he got those wickets at 130/0 but that means his two wickets were top order wickets which in my books are worth more than easy tailender scalps.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

They haven't been flogged yet and may not but they certainly have been in the past.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Bennett has been NZs highest wicket taker this year, 17 wickets @ 18.18. Take away the 4/16 he got against Kenya and he'll still have 13 @ 22.53. That's still more than second place, Southee.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
In the situation we've got ATM, I'd play Oram over Bennett without any hesitation.

He's only a couple of km's faster than Southee anyway, so it's not like he brings that much to the table that Southee/Mills/Oram don't already possess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread