Member's Articles Revamp Ideas

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Hi All,
The news team idea was a fantastic one. We had some talented writers who really loved the game. What's the result of that? Some awesome articles.

But I believe that the whole system needs a revamp. The writers aren't posting and have been kicked out, and rightly so. Articles haven't been posted in months, and this fantastic idea is dieing or already is dead. But we can bring it back to life.

My idea's to make the News Team a better place for both writers, readers, and all of PC.
  • Use an online Blogger tool as our place to submit and read articles. This allows us to organize our work more, and create a better platform for the readers to well, read them! Pictures can be squared around words, and we can have a much more professional look to the piece. The domain can also be linked to planetcricket.org/newsteam or something. It doesn't have to be a third party URL.

• More workload for the writers. One article a month is nowhere near enough to keep the writers interested. At least, it wasn't for me. We should assign members to write specific columns on different topics such as Indian Cricket, Australian Cricket, ect. And If there is a series between the two nations, they work together. This similar to Cricinfo.
    More then one person can do a specific topic. Example: Both Manee and I can do different columns on Indian Cricket.
    They don't just have to be regional though, it can be whatever Cricket related. We can decide that later.

• More exposure. We should get links and little snippets to our articles on the main page. Alot of forums have done this, and it's usually a huge hit with them.

If you have any idea's to add at all, don't hesitate to let your voice be heard!
Please don't shoot these Idea's down, admins. I feel we have too much writing talent here at PC for this to not go through.

Thanks

Idea's suggested by other members:

• AOTM (Article of the Month)- includes vCash prize, custom title, and article gets posted on the homepage- Thanks Hooper
  • One Article a Week- Thanks Treva
  • One Article every Two Weeks/Ten Days- Thanks Highlander

Supporters List:

Cricketman93
Hooper
Treva
THE BARMY ARMY
.Mob
Left_Hander
Highlander999
Feeling Blue?

Last edited:

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yes, I agree! Well posted Cricketman, I had a similar post, but I didn't go into this much detail and it didn't get that much notice from the admins or mods.

I suggested some good ideas I think:

Something needs to change.

Currently there are only four regular writers for the Article forum. Its always dead and peoples hard work isnt being appreciated.

I think their has to be some sort of reward system or competition to get this part of the forum running again. Maybe a "Article of the Month" or something like, the best article per month gets their article posted on the www.planetcricket.org homepage.

Just something to get us News Team members more notice and to get this forum interesting. Possilbly vCash for articles? I dont know, these are just some of my suggestions.

Cheers, Hooper

I think for the best exposure would be for an "Article of the Month" to be posted on the homepage, or as you said that online blogger thing.

Oh and don't worry, I will be posting a load of articles when the Australian summer starts.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Good to see you interested, Hooper.
Hopefully we can all pitch in (News Team Members and Ex's) and help make it really sweet.

Added idea's to first post.
I kinda bunched it up into one, I hope you don't mind, Jordan. And I added you to the supporters list.
Thanks alot mate.

Last edited:

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I like the ideas. If you can get a few people who are interested and commited to making many articles it would be a good thing for the site. But I think the only way it'll work is if there are commited members. It takes time and effort to do, but say 1 a week or many members taking big news as it comes out that would be good. Would add another dimension to the site.

So you can put me down for supporting the idea :)

Pakistani Army

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I like the ideas Rohit. You would need to get people/members who are comitted to do this. I am sure you would get people. However, it would also take effort and time to do. Treva said "1 a week" I am sure that that would be suitable enough.

I am sure suporting this and infact I would love to write articles in the Pakistani Cricket Section :p

Very good idea Rohit! :)

.Mob

International Coach
I like the idea of more workloads and advertising it more, good job, again. :)

manee

Chairman of Selectors
The ideas are good for a forum whose cricket chat forum is buzzing with many threads about many different diverse subjects but this is not the case currently at PC. The two threads with activity are the Australia Vs India tour thread and the Symonds racial abuse thread. Add English members to the mix and you have the demographic of the forum - predominantly three nationalities but that is not half the problem.

For the record though, your suggestions are very good, we just need more article writing and better article writing first.

If you read the articles in the members forum from a critical point of view, few of them are very good and although I am yet to see a poor article, there is nothing worthy of competing with cricinfo or even a cricketweb (whose articles I particularly find well written).

May I ask why you think a member would choose PC (if we write more articles) over cricketweb or cricinfo as an article source? That is an honest question, not meaning to be harsh.
Before a revamp which no doubt will initially bring a influx of new members, not only do the amount of articles written be increased but also the quality. It is not quality or quantity, it is both!

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I quite like the idea though what happens if a writer doesn't stick to the "1 article per week" policy?

Highlander999

ICC President
Very good idea, but maybe 1 article every 2 weeks or every 10 days as people can sometimes have a very busy schedule for a few days e.g. exams or a lot of school work.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
This would make me much more interested to join the news team again.
I like the idea of having one country per person. Maybe one person do game reports, an other person do the issues of Australian cricket etc..

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
The ideas are good for a forum whose cricket chat forum is buzzing with many threads about many different diverse subjects but this is not the case currently at PC. The two threads with activity are the Australia Vs India tour thread and the Symonds racial abuse thread. Add English members to the mix and you have the demographic of the forum - predominantly three nationalities but that is not half the problem.

For the record though, your suggestions are very good, we just need more article writing and better article writing first.

If you read the articles in the members forum from a critical point of view, few of them are very good and although I am yet to see a poor article, there is nothing worthy of competing with cricinfo or even a cricketweb (whose articles I particularly find well written).

May I ask why you think a member would choose PC (if we write more articles) over cricketweb or cricinfo as an article source? That is an honest question, not meaning to be harsh.
Before a revamp which no doubt will initially bring a influx of new members, not only do the amount of articles written be increased but also the quality. It is not quality or quantity, it is both!

We do have the talent to make good articles, Manee, but since there is a lack of interest from readers causing lack of interest for writers, the articles quality is going down south.
I'm sure once they get writing more and more articles they become better at it.
Why i'd choose it over cricketweb? We can't compete with Cricinfo, no doubt.
More people at PC read it, spread the word, and it eventually becomes a big integral part of this website.
That's what my plan is anyways.

I quite like the idea though what happens if a writer doesn't stick to the "1 article per week" policy?

We won't be too strict on it. I'm thinking one a week is a bit too much from what Highlander said. Some people are busy :p
But let's say that they don't write something in 2 weeks, they get a warning. 2 consecutive warnings, you're out.

Thanks to all the supporters once again Keep the ideas coming! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread