Nov 25-29: 1st Test: Australia v England at Brisbane

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Really well played by England it has to be said. England in Ashes series gone by would have folded easily.

It has to be said however why do they not declare? Possibly memories of Adelaide last time but there is no way Australia could win the game from here. They could end up with a massive advantage mentally if they grab even 2-3 wickets

There was little prospect of bowling a side out cheaply so England were right to bat a result out of the equation.

I just hope Strauss, Cook and Trott haven't used up their runs for the series, I seem to recall doing the stats for 06/07 and around half of the runs/wkts for a number of batsmen/bowlers came in their best one effort eg Hoggard took 11 wkts with a best of 7/109, Panesar too 10 wkts with a best of 5/92, Collingwood scored 433 runs with a HS of 206, Cook scored 276 runs with a HS of 116.

Cook and Strauss may have used up all their lives/luck too

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Well I've been saying that the AUS attack is overrated but I'd have never thought that Doughboy would average more in Test cricket than his horrendous FC average of 48. He now averages a fantastic 74 in Test cricket

I too have been saying this attack is overrated and was laughed at by War for suggesting such a thing. At least England looked like taking a wicket during the Australian innings while Australia have looked toothless.

We were also laughed at for suggesting that England would get over 400 at a rate quicker than 3...

:p

angryangy

ICC Chairman
New curator bra!

Which means a bat friendly pitch again..
Adelaide has actually seen most of the draws in its history under Les Burdett, those in turn mostly in the 80s, after which the pitch was relaid.

angryangy added 17 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

I too have been saying this attack is overrated and was laughed at by War for suggesting such a thing. At least England looked like taking a wicket during the Australian innings while Australia have looked toothless.

We were also laughed at for suggesting that England would get over 400 at a rate quicker than 3...

:p
While I'm a bit hazy as to whether 'looking like getting a wicket' is something you can pat yourself on the back for, being scoffed at by TumTum and proven right definitely isn't.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
While I'm a bit hazy as to whether 'looking like getting a wicket' is something you can pat yourself on the back for, being scoffed at by TumTum and proven right definitely isn't.

Nearly getting a wicket is good enough for me in comparison to the gross bowled by Australia. Point taken on the latter though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
My View of 1st test

For England:

Great recovery obviously. I am very pleased but at the same thime EXTREMELY surprised @ how well Cook played. Going into this test series given his struggles since the 2006/07 Ashes technically, i really feared (almost a few other ENG fans) that he would be a big problem. But this time clearly what he did with Graham Gooch has worked this time (compared to failed attempt to rejuvenate his ODI batting last winter in S Africa & BANG). Its was fairly noticeable that he is pushing at deliveries outside off-stump anymore & is more allowing such deliveries to come on to the bat.

Everyone else had respectable test. Although i guess Collingwood given his recent struggles in this English summer with will personally want a big score in the next test just to ease his mind.

Swann to level also may knows now the AUS batsmen are not going to allow him to settle when he bowls so he has to adjust.

Positive early signs for Anderson also, that when the ball isn't swinging like he gets over here in England that at least he can be economical. As the series goes on however flatter pitches will be seen, so he still has to show he can reverse it.

For Australia:

Ha well the second innings bowling performance brought back memories of the 2nd innings @ Kolkatta 2001. But i wont worry about that since thats why cricket is a game of glorious uncertainties. Those guys will probably never conceed so many runs for just 1 wicket success for the rest of their careers.

Johnson as most already would be screaming about was just terrible. Can't defend him here since he went into this test fully fit & alot of cricket behind his belt. With Bollinger & Harris in the squad, its VERY tempting to drop him now, but i personally am not sure yet.

The selectors have flopped again keeping North. :facepalm, I expected that. This man just optimises the aura of "middle-order vulnerability" that has encapsuluated Australia's batting since the start of 2009. Its unbelievable how many chances they can give him to prove his consistency. Why cant they just accept that his test career is a reflection of entire FC career over the last decade & realise such inconsistent batting is not good enough to bat in the top 6 for AUS?.

When you think back to how they got rid of Hodge & dropped Hughes so quickly, its mindbogging how they can have such tolerance with North. *SIGHSSS*

One test never proves anything with anymore. But so of my worries about Doherty in the 2nd innings about his test credentials arised. He just bowled too much darts & didn't build on the sort positive signs he showed early in the 1st inning when he flighted the ball & got some enocuraing purchase. He seems far more confortable bowling quickly, which really isn't a recipe for test success.

So for me going into Adelaide i'd would have dropped North obviously & Doherty. Recalled Hughes & would have picked the 4 quicks, in a XI of:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson/Harris
Siddle
Hilfy
Bollinger

But given no batitng changes have been made i'd just drop Doherty, DEFINATELY recall Bollinger & strongly consider axing Johnson for Harris.

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

Yea seriously, seems like the BCCI is rubbing off way too much on CA. First they kill off the OD game in favor of 2020, now their pitches are just as pathetic.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
^^ Even then, a result was possible. England had to score a little more quickly. They had lots of wickets in hand. Either they had to set a lower target or leave Aus with at least 10-12 more overs to tempt them to go after it.

Current captains are always playing safe. What's with that? The only way you ever gonna get a win is if you actually push for it. Not with pussy style.

McLOVIN added 2 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

I hope Swann ends up with a ████ figure. He is been too good lately, and I am tired of it

aha! Tamim Iqbal shows the way.

Attack! Attack! and Attack = Crappy Swann

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Current captains are always playing safe. What's with that? The only way you ever gonna get a win is if you actually push for it. Not with pussy style.

The last team to beat Australia at the Gabba in test cricket was the West Indies back in 88 so to draw there is a good result and considering where England were at the end of the third days play it is a very good result. Our bowling was pretty ragged in the second innings and Watson and Ponting were scoring at a fast rate. So personally I think a defensive declaration in the first test was the correct thing to do.
As far a the pitch is concerned it was definately a great batting track but chances were not taken and decisions went against bowlers. If this hadn't been the case then there could easily have been a result.
Adelaide cannot come soon enough!!!:)

Last edited:

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, England were more than happy with the draw here especially considering where they were after day three.

Can't wait till the next match now even if it means staying up all night again.

Sureshot

Executive member
Are people suggesting England could've forced a result on that wicket if they'd scored faster in the 2nd innings? :lol

Users who are viewing this thread