Pakistan tour of New Zealand 2009

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
That sucks. Oh well loved watching this series tbh, one of the better ones I've seen in the last few years. Congrats to both teams and good luck to Pakistan in Australia

You'll need it :spy

Looking forward to seeing how Umar Akmal goes over there though.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
If the non strikers leave him alone, he'd do alot better.

That, and if he puts some sort of value on his wicket - right now he's very loose, but hes 19. He has about another 17-18 years to put into his cricket.

ksduded

Club Cricketer
it was a hard fought series.... NZ played very well with depleted resources.... though after the dust is settles it was Pakistan's horrendous fielding that cost them a series win. (I have been watching Pak for a long time and it was surely one of their very worst fielding performances.... a cut above their usual bad standards)

If Pakistan want to make any impression in Australia I would hire a fielding coach and a psychiatrist (to convince Younis to come back).

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
That sucks. Oh well loved watching this series tbh, one of the better ones I've seen in the last few years. Congrats to both teams and good luck to Pakistan in Australia

I agree. It was a very good series. There were some excellent performances mixed with some silly performances ( Pakistan's fielding) But overall the twists and surprises in the games were great to watch. Both teams really are evenly matched, tough luck for NZ though, missed out on a highly possible win because of the rain.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Bad luck NZ, still a very good knock by Walting and good effort by them to clean up Pakistan and leave themselves a gettable total.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
Also, the pitches were very sporting too! People will say Napier was very flat, but we nearly got a result!

ksduded

Club Cricketer
and in other news.... India is on target to score 500 against SL in ODI

irottev

School Cricketer
We outplayed Pakistan (this game) and I guess i'll take that since it's onc e in a blue moon it happens. Drawn series which I guess is fair. The teams are pretty even. However with Pakistan playing some very poor shots and fielding so poorly you could argue they are very lucky not to lose the series and perhaps with us coming so close we deserved it.

I think we gain more from a drawn series being ranked below. Pakistan will have enjoyed the games before Australia but they look no where near ready and i'd expect that to be a pretty one sided series unless the fielding and batting improves. Umar was exceptional as was Asif. Kaneria had that good spell also, much better option playing him than playing Ajmal

NZ have a few positives, we've found Watling who has started pretty well and hopefully he keeps it up. McIntosh looked to be improving if you can look past the strike rate. Number 3 is still an issue, but Guptill proved his all-round worth with good fielding and handy bowling. Number 5 is still a big issue, i'd bring in Broom (Another big hundred today) for Flynn who aside from a good catch at short leg has done absolutely nothing all series.

Hopefully Bond will be back to lead Tuffey, Martin and Southee in the bowling too.

Things possibly looking up.

^ And about the pitches comment, I feel NZ pitches keep improving and at the moment, they have some very good wickets. In the past they were too bowler friendly and when you look at India they're too batting friendly. I think we have a good balance now. In all forms of the game.

Last edited:
P

pcfan123

Bravo to both teams and kudos to NZC and the respective ground staff for giving us result wickets in almost all 3 matches.

Great to see Pakistan back in Test cricket, the ICC and anyone who says they love Test cricket need to do all in their power to ensure Pakistan do not wander off into the wilderness again. They obviously have young talent coming through the ranks and we are way better off trying to preserve Pakistani Test cricket than trying to admit Ireland or another new member.

Personally feel this was Pakistan's series, they outplayed NZ in more sessions and should even have won at Dundedin or at least drawn, lost 10 wickets in 3 sessions :facepalm

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
That's so gay!!! We should of won that last game.
Five an over for 20 odd overs, with all 10 wickets in hand is a walk in the park.
The only difference between the two teams was their fielding.

Great series nonetheless, and good luck to Pakistan in Aussie.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Blasted rain! Ended what would have been quite an interesting chase. But well played NZ to do so well in the series. And kudos to Pakistan and good luck to them for Aussie. I'll be following that series closely.

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
Both teams were pretty even. Neither deserved to win the series more than the other. A 1-1 draw seems fair enough. Great to see Pakistan playing again. They just need to get their batting settled out, and they will become a much better team

New Zealand on the other hand, have much more worries. Their batting is extremely frail, and Mcintosh can only score on relatively flat pitches like Napier. The longer he stays in the side, the worse. Ross Taylor and Vettori are the only World Class batsman they have, with McCullum chipping in runs when he feels like it. Bond surely can't keep playing Test Cricket. Brien is gone as well. Martin is Martin. He's old. Tuffey isn't the youngest either. So in a couple of years, it will be Southee, and an aging Vettori... New Zealand have some serious problems to cope with.

Users who are viewing this thread