PC Online Multiplayer Fair Play Agreement

EarlCG

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I appreciate this is some duplication of AngryPixel's "Fairplay Creed for PC gamers and List of Fair/UnFair Players." thread but I'd be grateful if the moderators would allow us to at least see what the reception to these proposals are.

My reason for starting this new thread is because I think that the previous attempt at such a list was strangled at birth by the set of rules devised by AngryPixel, which were poorly thought through IMO. The fact he actually made the post before he received the game has a lot to do with this. Simply put, how can you make informed decisions about the intricacies of the gameplay having only played the demo?

As I think many have agreed, yorkers are not a problem for a batsmen to deal with (unless the batsmen is surprised, in which case the bowlers deserves whatever reward he gets) and his handling of negative fielding tactics are confusing (2 one side, three on the other, where do the others go?), while not quitting is just common sense and will be included in this list.

The Fundemental Rule
  • Don't Quit
    It's simple - if you start a game, finish it, regardless of whether the outcome is to your liking or not.

If you absolutely have to leave during a game, promptly send a message (private message or a post on the matchmaking thread - this is assuming they are a PlanetCricket member) to the person explaining and profusely apologising.

However, ideally don't make the mistake at all; always try and unsure you have for a full game.

The only circumstance where quitting can be justified is that the opponent breaks another agreed rule, in which case a screenshot should be taken (as proof of this transgression) and the details and image should be posted on this thread.

Initial Proposals
  1. Ban Short Cover fielding position?
    This position close to the batsmen in front of square seems to pick up a heck a lot of catches and limits the batsmen's very severely, much more than seems realistic. I have benefited from using it a lot but am prepared to agree to no longer use it.
  2. Require at least two fielders on the legside at all times?
    This is to stop the fielding side placing more than 7 of their 9 allocated fielders on the offside, so there will be at least some kind of gap for the batsmen to aim for if the bowler delivers the ball outside off stump.
  3. Ban excessive use of footwork down the pitch?
    This is one of the_gas' issues rather than my own, but I'm willing to include it if we can find an enforceable way for any such rule to work. I think disallowing it totally would be a mistake - the batsmen hasn't got as many options as the bowler & his field and so removing a choice hurts the batsmen a lot. However, I'm willing to go with the group consensus.
If you have another issue you'd like to raise, please do so. Let's see if can come up with some more discussion and thorough thought than the previous attempt.

Last edited:

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
It seems like a fair enough solution i agree Earl, i think realistically though with most people here we won't need to adopt these sort of agreements.

About the charge thing, i am not able to do that yet, so i cannot say for sure that it should be banned (if we do decide to even ban stuff) it was only an initial impression i got. Ruling it out would be silly, i just think its a shame that it is even an option apart from on occasion to fast bowlers.

I'm looking forward to trying charging out myself, hopefully tomorrow. Trouble is i've got so set without using it i might find it hard to adjust i think.

EarlCG

Club Cricketer
It seems like a fair enough solution i agree Earl, i think realistically though with most people here we won't need to adopt these sort of agreements.
Hopefully not, but I've been bitten enough times to be cautious. I think it's always best to get things down in black and white (or at least a dark shade of grey ;) ) rather than base it on peoples assumptions as every bodies opinion is different.

About the charge thing, i am not able to do that yet, so i cannot say for sure that it should be banned (if we do decide to even ban stuff) it was only an initial impression i got. Ruling it out would be silly, i just think its a shame that it is even an option apart from on occasion to fast bowlers.
Although my timing isn't the best, I think it's pretty tough to do against fast bowlers tbh. It seems pretty tough to get as the batsmen get in a lot quicker than on BLIC2007 but the Wicketkeeper's glovework isn't very swift behind the stumps.

I'm just not sure how to come up with an enforceable rule to limit it's use without banning it. I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

I'm looking forward to trying charging out myself, hopefully tomorrow. Trouble is i've got so set without using it i might find it hard to adjust i think
That's the other reason I'm looking forward to you getting your controller - out of (no doubt vain) hope you'll be crap with it and I might be able to get my first victory against you :p

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Hopefully not, but I've been bitten enough times to be cautious. I think it's always best to get things down in black and white (or at least a dark shade of grey ;) ) rather than base it on peoples assumptions as every bodies opinion is different.

Although my timing isn't the best, I think it's pretty tough to do against fast bowlers tbh. It seems pretty tough to get as the batsmen get in a lot quicker than on BLIC2007 but the Wicketkeeper's glovework isn't very swift behind the stumps.

I'm just not sure how to come up with an enforceable rule to limit it's use without banning it. I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

That's the other reason I'm looking forward to you getting your controller - out of (no doubt vain) hope you'll be crap with it and I might be able to get my first victory against you :p

Well its going to be an xbox controller, and i hate them. But more and more games are only supporting them these days. I'll get used to it though, its not majorly different from my logitech/saitek pads that im used to.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Im sure members from PC won't quit or use negative tactcis

EarlCG

Club Cricketer
Well its going to be an xbox controller, and i hate them. But more and more games are only supporting them these days. I'll get used to it though, its not majorly different from my logitech/saitek pads that im used to.
Yeah - I use an X-Box one; bought it when RaceDriver:Grid (another Codies game) was cheap on Steam a few weeks back. I've actually been more impressed than I thought I would be but, as you say, it's major boon is games being purpose built for it unlike my Logitech Dual Action (which is like the PS2 controller).

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
Ban excessive use of footwork down the pitch?
This is one of the_gas' issues rather than my own, but I'm willing to include it if we can find an enforceable way for any such rule to work. I think disallowing it totally would be a mistake - the batsmen hasn't got as many options as the bowler & his field and so removing a choice hurts the batsmen a lot. However, I'm willing to go with the group consensus.

I'm with Gas on this. Although I've not seen much online so far (hell, I've only been able to finish 3 games so far), if someone masters it, it will be extremely effective. The advance shots seem to get hit so much harder. Most lofted shots barely clear the ropes, but an advance lofted shot can go out of stadiums. At the very least there needs to be a limit in place.

I have some ideas that I'll post later, but now its time for some dinner. :D

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I'm with Gas on this. Although I've not seen much online so far (hell, I've only been able to finish 3 games so far), if someone masters it, it will be extremely effective. The advance shots seem to get hit so much harder. Most lofted shots barely clear the ropes, but an advance lofted shot can go out of stadiums. At the very least there needs to be a limit in place.

I have some ideas that I'll post later, but now its time for some dinner. :D

Yeah, i have to admit i thought the same after seeing it in action. Really, i think it should only be an option against spin bowlers, as frankly there is really no reason to use spin bowlers at all in this game. :p

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I don't mind the second suggestion. The 1st and the last could be over-come I think. Bowl it short if they're gonna charge you, or just slip in a slower ball. I wouldn't know if this works (only have played the demo), but I guess it should. The short-cover one can be avoided if you time the ball well or play at other parts of the ground. However, if it is an issue where a very well timed shot could get caught there, then maybe it should be brought up in the Patch thread? A Patch could probably sort this issue?

NICK_GIFF

Club Captain
I'm willing to conform to these rules.

Would like to hear from Valerian over his just quitting on me when I was destroying him. I'd like to trust that a PC member wouldn't quit on me, but his quitting when the game was clearly gone sadly makes me suspicious.

Edit: Valerian has said he didn't quit but we were disconnected from each other. If that means that the server is dodgy, then I'd really like it to be strengthened in the patch or sometime soon. So disheartening not to get the game complete when I'd have gone near the top of the Strike Rate leaderboard. :(

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
It's a fair agreement.

I don't understand what this means:

The only circumstance where quitting can be justified is that the opponent breaks another key, in which case a screenshot should be taken (as proof of this transgression) and the details and image should be posted on this thread.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
I'm willing to conform to these rules.

Would like to hear from Valerian over his just quitting on me when I was destroying him. I'd like to trust that a PC member wouldn't quit on me, but his quitting when the game was clearly gone sadly makes me suspicious.

Edit: Valerian has said he didn't quit but we were disconnected from each other. If that means that the server is dodgy, then I'd really like it to be strengthened in the patch or sometime soon. So disheartening not to get the game complete when I'd have gone near the top of the Strike Rate leaderboard. :(

Wait man, i can confirm valerian is a sound player. He has a very slow net which is the reason, it has happened to him lots. I have beat him twice, do he does see out games if his net will allow.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Both threads serves the same purpose so i guess either my thread should be merged in this or vice-versa. I dont agree with rule 1 and 3 though. :p Addition to rule two could be restricting the number of players in the outfield on either side. Coz at the moment even using your rule of minimum 2 players on the leg ,anyone could abuse the wideline tactic by placing all the remaining players on off side boundary.

The_gas

Chairman of Selectors
Both threads serves the same purpose so i guess either my thread should be merged in this or vice-versa. I dont agree with rule 1 and 3 though. :p Addition to rule two could be restricting the number of players in the outfield on either side. Coz at the moment even using your rule of minimum 2 players on the leg ,anyone could abuse the wideline tactic by placing all the remaining players on off side boundary.

No, because if you place all/some men on the boundary it is possible to pick up two runs, that means you go at 12 runs per over. Hardly abuse. This is what people failed to realise with my so called bad field.

Users who are viewing this thread