PlanetCricket.net Sports Personality of the Year

Face Off: Who should WIN the PC.net Sports Personality of the Year award?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Animator!

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Voted Becks, for reason I've already gone over, and McRae. Hate to sound like a tosser, but a legend dying is hardly any reason to put him up for Sportsperson of the year. Clearly the fact that he's dead means he hasn't actuall produced a lot this year, cos he's dead.

If this was on Sportsperson who deserves recognition then yeah, him everytime probably because he owned his sport, but not on this years performances.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
I haven't moaned, I've stated how I feel about Beckham and Barry being selected. Just like you have with Brady which is fine if it is your opinion. Like i said i'm just backing up why I feel he should be there.

Stevie, did he win the touring cars this year by any chance?

Yep, world champion for the third time, although it's effectively the fourth time.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Look. Every English sports fan knows who Gareth Barry and David Beckham are. This is not the case for Tom Brady. If he was such a personality, we'd all have heard of him wouldn't we? Case rested.

Rugby is so rubbish that it's played in more countries worldwide and is ultimately more popular than American Football so yeah, correct Trev.

I'm sorry Matt, i dont really care if you dont like NFL, or who's more important between Brady and Barry. The point is down to achievement, thats what Sports Personality is about. It's not all about who's the most recognised sportsman in the world. Tom Brady as achieved more in his sport than most other nominations have in their sport. Brady is the leader of his team, and has a fantastic record. You saying that he isnt worthy of being part of vote is frankly naive, it shows me that you dont appreciate the guys achievements, just because he isnt a household name, in a sport that you dont really like. I'm not a rugby fan, or a golf fan, but i can respect the achievements of Harrington and Habana. The fact that you arent appreciating Brady's brilliance in his field makes the whole competition void as far as i'm concerned. If people who have achieved massive amounts dont get in, but an above average performer for a losing team can then the voting shouldnt really be carried out, and the competition given to a well known sportsman.

Brady definetly deserves to be in with a chance of winning, whether you like the sport or not.

D

Deleted member 9102

Edit: Chris Gayle

Last edited by a moderator:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I voted to lose Barry and Brady. Barry because he hasnt really done a lot this year, I only saw him properly in the Croatia game and I kept forgetting he was even on the pitch. He is also a nasty piece of work, look what he did when he scored the penalty on Saturday, he went and kicked the guy down.

As for Brady, he plays a sport that is virtually restrained to one country, and the USA at that! Until he was nominated for this I had never even heard of him, and it doesnt matter what anyone says I cant let someone become the Sports Personality of the Year if he is unknown to myself and the majority of the forum.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Sports Personality just means someone famous for sport (it would be a bit longwinded to say Sportsman/Woman of the year). It doesn't mean they have a nice personality. Most sportsmen/women are so focused on their sport they dont have much of a personality anyway ;)

Animator!

School Cricketer
So Barry balanced the midfield so much that the world class player that is Gerrard could bomb into the attack while Barry stops everything coming his way and helps the defence out? How did that work out? Not very well, we lost to Russia and Croatia conceding 5 goals in those games, I know you can blame the defence but they didn't get the best protection from Barry did they? He's a poor man's Owen Hargreaves...
It doesn't matter what you say, Beckham still has stats over the past year of 5 caps 4 assists for England, now if you say that isn't good enough then find a winger who would do better than that...

Because our Keepers can't catch a cold, our two centre-backs were very, very average and we have a strike force that cannot create. Barry played very well on all accounts. However he cannot take on the role of the players playing poorly around him, he got no support from other midfielders and when they bombed forward they were crap. He enabled us to do something, it's a shame they were crap at it. Can't blame Barry for other players poor performances.

Oh, Owen Hargreaves, who was our best player at the last World Cup and who's role in midfield enabled us to open up and defend at the same time, providing support for attack and defence. I know, roles does nothing at all does it.

Beckham can provide a cross, but it doesn't really work when we only have one striker over 6 foot and he can't even get a game for his club. Doesn't fit in the squad or formaton anymore. He holds us back. He always does naff all apart from one contribution.

Added to that, the personality factor that he is a tosser.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Well the personality part of the title is to say it's about one person. Seeing as there is an 'life time achievement award', the main award is also based upon achievement. You never see an average sportsman/woman who just is a popular and good guy win the award...

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I voted to lose Barry and Brady. Barry because he hasnt really done a lot this year, I only saw him properly in the Croatia game and I kept forgetting he was even on the pitch. He is also a nasty piece of work, look what he did when he scored the penalty on Saturday, he went and kicked the guy down.

As for Brady, he plays a sport that is virtually restrained to one country, and the USA at that! Until he was nominated for this I had never even heard of him, and it doesnt matter what anyone says I cant let someone become the Sports Personality of the Year if he is unknown to myself and the majority of the forum.

I'd never heard of Zara Phillips being involved in sport before last year's BBC Sports Personality of The Year awards. Why has this suddenly become about recognition ? It's about the top performing sportsman in the past year, Brady is up there with the best of them in terms of achievements. Brady is much more worthy of the award than McRae, Beckham and Barry, neither of them 3 have acheived as much as Brady has in the past year.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Just to list Brady's achievements compared to Beckham and Barry:

Brady - 4095 yards in 13 games. Just 989 yards off the record for a season and they have 3 games + playoffs still to go. 45 TD's in 13 games, 4 off the record. Set for the best quaterback rating in a season if he continues his form.

Barry and Beckham - Set up a few goals perhaps. Played well but was in a team that didn't make it past Euro Championship Qualifying.

There is just no comparison between them...

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I take it nobody wants to notice the fact Beckham played a major part in Madrid winning the title last season having been dropped, considering that its personality of the year I'd say that puts him up there with anyone on the list. Trev how can you say you respect people opinions and then say you think someones is crap? Not really very respectful is it, also don't just dismiss rugby, it' more popular than US football and I could have called it boring crap but instead I didn't because I knew all the fans of it would get on their periods, just because the same doesn't apply with rugby doesn't mean you can call it rubbish either. Also of course recognition plays a part, Flintoff put cricket on the map and won it, had it been a dull loss but he'd performed even better but just on his own then he wouldn't have won it.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Who have I said is crap? I said that I personally feel that everything about what you guys are saying is a load of rubbish. I said I can see that other people have their own opinions about things. I am just stating my own...

Users who are viewing this thread