Post your questions about the game here!

Ross, question regarding fielding and the problems you guys encounter when developing a cricket game.

I know you have talked about bowling being determined prior to the release of the ball by the mechanics of the run up/action (so there is no pitch marker). In regards to fielding, can you not have a similar system? I know when I field a ball the difference between returning it to the keeper quickly and possibly effecting a run out is determined by 5 factors:
1. The pace at which you sprint to the ball
2. The cleanliness of the pick up
3. The decision to throw over-arm or under-arm
4. The amount of effort put into the ball release
5. The accuracy of the throw (determined by balance)

Perhaps in the ball chase you select the end to throw to, but then when actually arriving to claim the ball there are 3 main things to focus on; the pickup, the speed, and the balance (determines accuracy).

I also had a question about the challenges the development team face when animating character models. Obviously in the rugby and AFL games it was very hard to account for the range of animations because of the collisions between players. FIFA have only recently got this right with their impact engine in 12. In cricket the only collision is between bat and ball, and thus actions such as the bowlers run up can be preset. How have these issues influenced your animation techniques? :)

I also had a question about the challenges the development team face when animating character models. Obviously in the rugby and AFL games it was very hard to account for the range of animations because of the collisions between players. FIFA have only recently got this right with their impact engine in 12. In cricket the only collision is between bat and ball, and thus actions such as the bowlers run up can be preset. How have these issues influenced your animation techniques? :)

I agree the collision physics are majorly coded for bat and ball...but it happens between batman-batman(run-outs), batsman-bowler(again runouts) and fielder-fielder(drop catches) too right?

I agree the collision physics are majorly coded for bat and ball...but it happens between batman-batman(run-outs), batsman-bowler(again runouts) and fielder-fielder(drop catches) too right?

Yes, you are right. I oversimplified! :facepalm But my questions about the collisions being more predictable than say AFL or rugby remains :)

There are no "canned animations" when the ball is in play.

There are canned animation for celebrations, disappontments, and the like where the ball is not in play.

We use a variety of methods to make sure that the player remains in control and it is a mark of our games that players feel that they can attempt do anything at any time (there is no restriction due to an animation loop).

----------

There are licenses, that's all I can say for now.

----------

You don't need to play someone who has created the team, just some one who has it - we expect teams to go "viral".

-----------

kits of unlicensed teams are real or not ??

Yeah I agree with you. One thing I would like to know is; what sort of attributes will be in the game? Is it going to be more like Fifa with lots of specific stuff such as running speed, reflexes, short bowling ability, accuracy, stamina etc, or more like AC2010 with just batting bowling and fielding. Thoughts Chief?

Cricket 97 Ashes Tour Edition ( best cricket game ever in my opinion ) has the following :

Speed
Aggression
Focus
Precision
Strength
Batting
Bowling
Fielding

It has poor graphics but is the most realistic Cricket game, one of its salient attributes is that it does not have a six or a loft button therefore slogging is not possible, every run and wicket has to be earned!

Ashes 97 was a good game but I could score in excess of five hundred very easily in fifty over games. But you are right about the fun factor of the game. The bowling was pretty awesome too. There were a lot of options like cutters and seam deliveries.

I agree with you^ That is why one of my top priority for this game is dynamic AI. Ross, can you please tell us about the AI in the game, would it possible to get exciting Test matches vs the CPU or is it eventually going to become too easy and repetitive? Can you please tell us how much importance is being given to this aspect of the game? I really don't want to depend on online play for good games.

I agree with you^ That is why one of my top priority for this game is dynamic AI. Ross, can you please tell us about the AI in the game, would it possible to get exciting Test matches vs the CPU or is it eventually going to become too easy and repetitive? Can you please tell us how much importance is being given to this aspect of the game? I really don't want to depend on online play for good games.

What sort of an asinine question is that? What do you expect the game developers to say? That their game sucks balls and a 2 year old can beat their AI? Of course they will say that their game is the best game ever and the AI is comparable to Deep Blue.

I hope the developers have "review" or "trial" sessions with Planet Cricket community before the AI is completely developed so that they have enough time to incorporate the feedback in the game. As for AI the only time you will come to know whether it's good or not is when you play the game.

Users who are viewing this thread