Post your questions about the game here!

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Glorious work, Blocker.

grkrama

National Board President
i just help people - it's what i do.
e1f3d583ab112906008b2a1278bc5b74203c3f34eaa3168f625a18e67c58581f.jpg

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
This is exactly what I am trying to say...I have never seen a batsman given out when BARS is showing PITCHING as well as IMPACT is Outside the Stump Line. But I do think in real cricket it should be given out, but BARS seems to out-rightly reject anything which is pitching & impacting outside the Stump Line...

No, it should not. If a batsman is playing a shot and the ball hits him outside off, it's Not Out. It doesn't matter whether the ball pitches outside off or in line with stumps - if the ball hits you outside off while playing a shot it's out.

Here's the LBW rule in a nutshell as I see lots of confusion around it. These are the things umpire considers before making the call...

1. Did the ball pitch in line with stumps or outside off (i.e. it didn't pitch outside leg)? If no, it's not out. If yes, go to 2.
2. Did the ball hit the batsman outside leg (while playing a shot or not)? If yes, it's not out. If no, go to 3.
3. Was the ball bouncing over the stumps? If yes, it's not out. If no, go to 4.
4. Did the ball hit the batsman outside off? If no, it's out. If yes, go to 5.
5. Was the batsman playing or offering a shot? If yes, it's not out. If no it's out.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
No, it's not. If the ball impact is outside off and you are offering a shot, you are not out.

But that's not how DRS works. It favors the umpires first decision, hence it stays on umpires call. Based on that image (I can't see a forward view) if the ball is touching any part of the stumps, it's still out. Looks like it's hitting top of middle and off?

Last edited:

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
But that's not how DRS works. It favors the umpires first decision, hence it stays on umpires call.

Nah I don't think so - because the impact is unequivocally outside the off stump, so it shouldn't be out. It only stays with the umpire if none of the factors are "wrong".

Here you've got 1 factor for out (pitching outside off), one factor for not out (impact outside off playing a shot) and one factor for umpires call (hitting wkts). Only if impact was also umpires call should it still be out.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
True, but then it's at the umpires discretion whether or not he changes his decision at that point. IRL, he wouldn't. DRS is not a perfect system by any shape of the imagination, I like to think the game is just reflecting that ;)

tazzron

Club Captain
But that's not how DRS works. It favors the umpires first decision, hence it stays on umpires call. Based on that image (I can't see a forward view) if the ball is touching any part of the stumps, it's still out. Looks like it's hitting top of middle and off?

"If an ‘out’ decision is being reviewed, in order to report that the point of impact is not between wicket and wicket (i.e. outside the line of the stumps), the evidence provided by technology should show that no part of the ball at the moment of interception is between wicket and wicket." (http://icc-live.s3.amazonaws.com/cms/media/about_docs/518a6f5d5f88e-Third Umpire - Decision Review System.pdf)

The 'Impact Outside Off' implies no part of the ball at the moment of interception is between wicket and wicket.

Just in general, regardless of the umpire's decision, if any of the three 'parts' show green upon review, it's immediately not out. So if the ball pitches outside leg stump, makes contact with the pad completely outside the line of the stumps or is shown by Hawk-Eye to be completely missing the stumps, it's not out.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
Must've had me set as the umpire in the game, because i'd still give it out. On your bike.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member

Nope, that's not how it works. In case ball hitting the batsman outside off was umpire's call then the call should have stood as is. But it was clear that the ball hit the batsman outside off so the call should've been reversed. If this call wasn't reversed that's a bug.

Users who are viewing this thread