Semifinals and Final

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Since the semifinals basically feature just two matches, I thought a single thread would be enough to discuss about them.

Two really big matches, New Zealand vs Pakistan and India vs Australia. India could have faced Pakistan had South Africa scored 142 and above, but now they have to face Australia. They can take heart from the fact that Australia have lost to Zimbabwe and Pakistan in this tournament.

On the other hand, NZ must be really happy to scrap through to the semis. But they will face a resurgent Pakistani side under Shoaib Malik who are proving to be dangerous. Both matches will be greatly expected and lets hope for some terrific entertainment.

Norbert

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
New Zealand's top order will need to perform better than they have previously in the tournament...but I think a run rate above seven will be competitive against Pakistan. Australia/Sri Lanka is a bigger "power" matchup...I wouldn't be surprised to see two scores in excess of 200...(although I don't know what surface that one will be help on...:/)

usy

Chairman of Selectors
common pakistan, wee can do it.

irottev

School Cricketer
My 12 for the Pakistan game

McCullum
Vincent
Fulton
Styris
Taylor
McMillan
Oram
Vettori
Bond
Gillespie
Patel

It seems Pakistan has had their most trouble with spin, looking at the Bangladesh scorecard. That is why i'm taking Patel over Martin. I also dropped Taylor down, he's so good against spin, get him in when the spinners are on. If we have a collapse, let Fulton and Styris steady the ship. Otherwise bat Taylor up the order. McMillan and Oram to be the finishers. When our top order finally fire, the opposition is going to be in real trouble with McMillan and Oram down there.

Last edited:

usy

Chairman of Selectors
I'm putting Vcash on. Pakistan. I hope afridi opens.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
We should use this for finals as well ;)

Well, a mod can edit the thread title and make it "Twenty20 World Cup 2007 - Semifinals & Final"

wat about the indian game

Well, Australia will obviously start off as favorites, but they should have known by now that they cant take India lightly. You cant take India lightly anyday. India have had some really good encounters with Australia in history, and it will be a keenly anticipated one. Australia dont really look the same invincible team and India probably will feel that they can put pressure on Australia if they bat and bowl well.

Hayden and Gilchrist will be the key. If India bat first, even if the conditions favor bowling, a total of 180+ is a must. If not, the openers will batter you. May be India can bring in Agarkar for Joginder just to get the cushion of that experience to face Aussies. Also we should think about giving Pathan the new ball and have him bowl with RP Singh in tandem at the start.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I certainly will be happy if we are bowling first, both our losses have come when we were bowling 2nd. Unless our batters fire first up I don't have much faith in us defending a small total.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I certainly will be happy if we are bowling first, both our losses have come when we were bowling 2nd. Unless our batters fire first up I don't have much faith in us defending a small total.

Well India have been backing themselves to defend totals, and you back yourself to chase totals. Pretty interesting!

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
My lineup

Gambhir
Shewag
Uthappa
Yubraj
Dhoni
Rohit Sharma
Irfan Pathan
Jogindar Sharma
RP Singh
Sreesanth
Harbhajan

I would suggest only one change and india has to do it if they have any chance of winning if the pitch is bare play piyush chawla in place of joginder sharma if piyush is unfit play yousuf pathan.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Hafeez
Afridi
Younis
Malik
Misbah
Akmal
Nazir
Fawad Alam(usefull batsman and a good spinner too)
Tanvir
Gul
Asif

Hafeez and Afridi to open the did okay today and both are good spinners, the 3-5 should be the same as they have been for the entire tournament. Akmal,Nazir,Fawad for some big hitting if requierd.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I think Dhoni will probably go with the same team that ruined South Africa. He'll be hoping for a better performance from our top order, though. I think if Yuvraj fixes his injury he will be back in place of Karthik.

Users who are viewing this thread