Semifinals and Final

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well India have been backing themselves to defend totals, and you back yourself to chase totals. Pretty interesting!

I thought you guys liked to chase 2nd too? In ODIs when India were at their peak they loved to chase. If what you say is what Dhoni thinks too then the toss is basically pointless for our semi.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yes, but chasing hasn't been India's strength of late. The batting seems much more relaxed batting first.

Regardless of conditions, both times should be looking to set the target in such a big game. Always puts the team batting second under pressure and particularly under lights.

Conditions won't change all that much in the night game.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I thought you guys liked to chase 2nd too? In ODIs when India were at their peak they loved to chase. If what you say is what Dhoni thinks too then the toss is basically pointless for our semi.
Dhoni claimed sometime before the Scotland game that he would be looking to bat first and get runs on the board. I feel it was a general comment, though it may have been specific to the Scotland game.

I don't think the toss is pointless because the conditions will definitely be assessed by any half-decent captain before making a decision. If there is wet weather forecast for the evening and none forecast for the night, it may well pay well for India to get the opposition in first. Also, don't forget this is basically an evening-nighter so Australia would also be looking to bat first and get India in under artificial lighting.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Sohum, the time seems to be the same time (as mentioned on ESPN Star) as the previous games. i.e. 9:30 pm IST

Or have they made a mistake?

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Well this would be my India line-up for Saturday....

1) Gautam Gambhir
2) Virender Sehwag
3) Robin Uthappa
4) Rohit Sharma
5) Dinesh Karthik+
6) Yuvraj Singh
7) Mahendra Dhoni*
8) Irfan Pathan
9) Harbhajan Singh
10) RP Singh (OB2)
11) Shantakumaran Sreesanth (OB1)

12) Joginder Sharma - (sorry he just hasn't impressed me so far, even though he has had catches dropped of his bowling, he just looks like he's gonna get slogged with every delivery he bowls)

I think we can squeeze out 4 overs out of Yuvraj, Sehwag or Sharma. It would be successful if they go for under 30 runs in the 4 overs.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Yes, Dropping Dinesh Kartik after his good fielding and keeping wouldn't be fair. His batting is the key though. I cannot see Joginder score too many down the order, so he's basically wasted down there. Kartik at #5 or #6 is a much better asset and getting overs from Sehwag or Yuvraj would be a wiser gamble.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Also the tactic which confused us all yesterday when Karthik took over the gloves paid, Karthik to be honest looks far more athletic behind the stumps than Dhoni, to add to that it is important that Dhoni can communicate with his bowlers at mid-off/mid-on, so it all works out nicely.

King Cricket

International Coach
Dhoni should bat at no 3 or 4. Rohit Sharma should come at no 6 so that if the top order collapses he can manage,like he did yesterday

Shewag
Gambhir
Uthappa
Dhoni
Yubraj
Rohit Sharma
Kartik/Jogindar/Y Pathan
Irfan
RP
Sreesanth
Harbhajan

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Dhoni should bat at no 3 or 4. Rohit Sharma should come at no 6 so that if the top order collapses he can manage,like he did yesterday

Shewag
Gambhir
Uthappa
Dhoni
Yubraj
Rohit Sharma
Kartik/Jogindar/Y Pathan
Irfan
RP
Sreesanth
Harbhajan

yes, but sharma is a genuine top order batsmen, who can drive perfectly

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
Well this would be my India line-up for Saturday....

1) Gautam Gambhir
2) Virender Sehwag
3) Robin Uthappa
4) Rohit Sharma
5) Dinesh Karthik+
6) Yuvraj Singh
7) Mahendra Dhoni*
8) Irfan Pathan
9) Harbhajan Singh
10) RP Singh (OB2)
11) Shantakumaran Sreesanth (OB1)

Thats spot on. I somehow feel that Saturday will be India's day!

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Thats spot on. I somehow feel that Saturday will be India's day!

Even if India don't make it through (touchwood they do), i will be happy enough for a young India to make it the Semi's, as long as we show a fight - thats what matters ;)

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Hopefully Pakistan continues with the same team format, except Butt. Personally I would say his rate of scoring is the difference between a win or loss. Fawad Alam could be a better player there for the team.

And this is really bad planning: a World Cup final on a Monday.

Harrypotter_fan

Panel of Selectors
Even if India don't make it through (touchwood they do), i will be happy enough for a young India to make it the Semi's, as long as we show a fight - thats what matters ;)

Yeah, like what happened to Germany in the FIFA World Cup 06. They lost the cup but won their supporters' hearts!

usy

Chairman of Selectors
Hafeez
Afridi
Younis
Malik
Misbah
Akmal
Nazir
Fawad Alam(usefull batsman and a good spinner too)
Tanvir
Gul
Asif

Hafeez and Afridi to open the did okay today and both are good spinners, the 3-5 should be the same as they have been for the entire tournament. Akmal,Nazir,Fawad for some big hitting if requierd.

At the back of my mind there is something missing, aah what could it be ..

Users who are viewing this thread