SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
@Rumple43

Pitch and possibly ball bounce definately needs a tweak in v2 of the set.

Just started the second test on a standard, hard deck in Adelaide.

This is the "bounce".

One of those was a red, short ball too.

View attachment 261388
Ugh.

Looks like I'll have to shelve my current match to do some more tweaking then, that's not good.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I've restarted my England / Pakistan 87/88 series. (Teams shared on the academy under user mrdconnors).

I adjusted the spreadsheet sliders for Asia, I wanted a flat pitch that will start flat and take turn as it goes on.

So I have:
  • Striker Timing 47
  • Wicket Chance 28
  • Bowl Quality 73
  • Run rate 13
  • Pace bowling speed min 63 / max 73
  • Spin bowling drift 35
  • Spin bowling rev 35
  • Pace bowling swing 52
  • Pitch friction 68
  • Pitch bounce 40
  • ball friction 35
  • ball bounce 40
Pretty sure everything else physics wise is as per the spreadsheet for Asia. I meant to set up a grassy/dusty medium but accidentally set it to hard.

The idea was to have a pitch that would make for attritional cricket, with conditions in favour of batsmen early but needing them to be watchful, and allowing spin to be the dominant force.

I batted first and well it was just great. I've found in this game with the reduced skills they really have an impact on how batting with that player feels, in a way i didn't get before. So I had to be careful. I batted past lunch on day 2, 124.4 overs for just 334. That's proper test cricket in asia in the 80s! David Capel top scored, last man out for 92 from 188 balls. Gatting (79 from 132) also passed 50.

Bowling has been a different story. They carted along at 4 an over against the seamers, though that was nearly all down to Mudassar Nazar (81 from 99). Foster got Raja for 15 off 18. The it was all about the spin. After Emburey got Malik for 11 from 54, Miandad, Ahmed and Mutjaba all fell for ducks as they went from 100/1 to 105/5 in the space of a few overs. Carnage.

Ashraf Ali (11* off 41) and Wasim Akram (10* off 26) are currently rebuilding, they're 132 for 6 off 41 overs.

Mudassar Nazar is supposed to be conservative, which is really disappointing since until now I've felt mentalities have really shown. @Langeveldt have you noticed a change?

@Rumple43 @WealeyH anything you'd suggest slider-wise to get the AI a little more sensible and robust?

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I think there is a bug because it’s been insane. 10+ an over for over 30 overs. Tested by dragging the run rate down to 2 and they started leaving and defending. Put it back to 17 and carnage again.

think the 2nd inns in my game got a bit bugged too in terms of the AI suddenly being unreasonably aggressive,
Bowling has been a different story. They carted along at 4 an over against the seamers, though that was nearly all down to Mudassar Nazar (81 from 99). Foster got Raja for 15 off 18. The it was all about the spin. After Emburey got Malik for 11 from 54, Miandad, Ahmed and Mutjaba all fell for ducks as they went from 100/1 to 105/5 in the space of a few overs. Carnage.

Ashraf Ali (11* off 41) and Wasim Akram (10* off 26) are currently rebuilding, they're 132 for 6 off 41 overs.

Mudassar Nazar is supposed to be conservative, which is really disappointing since until now I've felt mentalities have really shown.

Well an interesting sequel to all this... turns out I'm an absolute moron. The custom match type I thought i'd created as a 5-day match, was actually a 2 day one. So the AI was playing entirely reasonable, and indeed showing good match awareness by trying to score quickly. Indeed, it must have been quietly losing it's shit as I tapped along at 2.6 an over for 124.4 overs in a 2-day, 90-overs a day match.

Well, overall I'll call that a positive - it's positive that the AI shows that kind of situational awareness, and I'm positive that I'm an idiot.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
@Rumple43

Pitch and possibly ball bounce definately needs a tweak in v2 of the set.

Just started the second test on a standard, hard deck in Adelaide.

This is the "bounce".

One of those was a red, short ball too.

View attachment 261388
Looking at this one again now that I've woken up a bit more, the black delivery appears to have pitched in the middle of the green, standard area and isn't that far from the top of the stumps.

The blue one pitches in the yellow, full area and is the lowest of the lot. That's also fair I think

Not good if you have a bouncer in there tho, that's more concerning.

I just did some basic testing this afternoon but ran out of time before I could have a look at standard. Based on what I found this afternoon, England's Grassy, Medium pitch needs to go from pitch bounce 35 to pitch bounce 50, to look something like this:

1642088032512.png

1642088068680.png

A dry, hard pitch (Australia) also needed a notch up, I've tried that at pitch bounce 40 rather than 35 and it looked like this:

1642088135423.png

1642088158586.png

So my thoughts for your standard pitch are to change it from 35 to 40 and see how it looks. Failing that, go for 50, though that seems too high for a hard pitch, everything will clear the stumps for sure.

I'll add all this into v2 of the spreadsheet asap.

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Looking at this one again now that I've woken up a bit more, the black delivery appears to have pitched in the middle of the green, standard area and isn't that far from the top of the stumps.

The blue one pitches in the yellow, full area and is the lowest of the lot. That's also fair I think

Not good if you have a bouncer in there tho, that's more concerning.

I just did some basic testing this afternoon but ran out of time before I could have a look at standard. Based on what I found this afternoon, England's Grassy, Medium pitch needs to go from pitch bounce 35 to pitch bounce 50, to look something like this:

A dry, hard pitch (Australia) also needed a notch up, I've tried that at pitch bounce 40 rather than 35 and it looked like this:

So my thoughts for your standard pitch are to change it from 35 to 40 and see how it looks. Failing that, go for 50, though that seems too high for a hard pitch, everything will clear the stumps for sure.

I'll add all this into v2 of the spreadsheet asap.
Yeah the green delivery was a bouncer pitching in the red zone, but its hidden behind the others.

Think the tweak should help.

Its all good info for refining the set further.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Yeah the green delivery was a bouncer pitching in the red zone, but its hidden behind the others.

Think the tweak should help.

Its all good info for refining the set further.
I ended up tinkering at 4 of the 6 venues, didn't get time to do NZ or West Indies but fairly confident they'll still be ok.

Hopefully I'll get some excel time tomorrow, see how far I can get.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I've restarted my England / Pakistan 87/88 series. (Teams shared on the academy under user mrdconnors).

I adjusted the spreadsheet sliders for Asia, I wanted a flat pitch that will start flat and take turn as it goes on.

So I have:
  • Striker Timing 47
  • Wicket Chance 28
  • Bowl Quality 73
  • Run rate 13
  • Pace bowling speed min 63 / max 73
  • Spin bowling drift 35
  • Spin bowling rev 35
  • Pace bowling swing 52
  • Pitch friction 68
  • Pitch bounce 40
  • ball friction 35
  • ball bounce 40
Pretty sure everything else physics wise is as per the spreadsheet for Asia. I meant to set up a grassy/dusty medium but accidentally set it to hard.

The idea was to have a pitch that would make for attritional cricket, with conditions in favour of batsmen early but needing them to be watchful, and allowing spin to be the dominant force.

I batted first and well it was just great. I've found in this game with the reduced skills they really have an impact on how batting with that player feels, in a way i didn't get before. So I had to be careful. I batted past lunch on day 2, 124.4 overs for just 334. That's proper test cricket in asia in the 80s! David Capel top scored, last man out for 92 from 188 balls. Gatting (79 from 132) also passed 50.

Mudassar Nazar is supposed to be conservative, which is really disappointing since until now I've felt mentalities have really shown. @Langeveldt have you noticed a change?

@Rumple43 @WealeyH anything you'd suggest slider-wise to get the AI a little more sensible and robust?

What do you have your bowling jump and placement on mate?
Post automatically merged:

What do you have your bowling jump and placement on mate?

Edit… just read your following post… u prat

stanchez47

Little Timmy
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi guys has anyone noticed that since patch 15 when simming teams are just collapsing? Before the patch playing career mode Australia would score between 200-400 runs depending on the pitch. Now every team seems to get rolled for 150-200. As an experiment I simmed an Ashes test on a Hard dry pitch at Adelaide and both teams 3 times over scored 200 or less in the first innings. Second innings was a little better (200-300) but tests are finishing within 2-3 days. I changed from using the Australian Settings to South Africa and got the same.

Very frustrating!

Gamefroggy

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
South Africa
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is there a new pitch slider spreadsheet or do we use the attached version on page one?

Lassana_Dias

School Cricketer
Speaking of white ball cricket, I finally managed to get back on my PS4 and delve into my previously mentioned T20 sliders. If you just want the sliders and don't want the waffle, they are in a spoiler box at the bottom of this post. Scroll down, I won't be offended, honest.... :spy

Anyway I played 2 games, both England v Scotland, with me taking a turn as both teams.

It was.....alright haha

Let me preface the following with this. I'm not a huge T20 fan anyway, though fair play if that is your thing. Whilst I did find the two games I played (plus one or two others I've completed elsewhere) to be decent enough, they didn't really blow me away. I'm not hankering to smash a load more of them out, put it that way. The main reason for this is that in my opinion, T20 cricket appears to be right in the wheel house of what Cricket 22 struggles with the most.

Fielding is a big one, and some of the fielding in both games was, in short, abysmal. In a format where runs are a premium, some of the fielding decisions and animations and all the rest are put under an even greater spotlight. The other main issue is the AI playing unrealistic shots when batting that a) look dumb and jarring considering where the ball is delivered to where it ends up going and b) as a user you can't do the same.

First up, I went with the harder option and played as Scotland. As mentioned, the sliders and settings are at the bottom of this post. I went with a standard, medium pitch both times, with no cracks and day 1 wear. A good batting strip for white ball cricket.

View attachment 260819
Didn't get much love from England, tbh. I had about 5 or 6 edges that all found a gap, but I couldn't really get any kind of pressure going as they smashed it around at will.

I caught three guys in the deep, there was a run out that was a genuine run out, it was about the best I was going to do I think, unless those edges had gone to a fielder early on.

So often the AI would also find a gap and be able to run two against an outfielder, because they'd just be so slow getting to the ball, doing their animation and getting the ball back. That probably cost me 30 runs, easily. Or it could be that Scotland's players just have low running, throwing attributes, idk.

Could I chase down 189? It seemed unlikely, but I was certainly going to give it a go!

This helped, from my opener:

View attachment 260820
Nice effort from the left hander, plenty of love through midwicket and through the covers, with three sixes, which was nice to see and it's something I tend to find lacking. Too many balls tend to bounce a foot from the rope and don't go all the way.

Munsey was about the only bright spot in my innings though.

View attachment 260821
Needing 9.5 an over led to an aggressive batting strategy that simply wasn't sustainable against a much stronger team. In the end I got 7 or 8 down and slowed to just trying to make 140 and lose more respectfully, but it wasn't to be.

During my innings, I did enjoy this one, that I want to say is the AI jumping to save a six but could just be a glitch and a dropped catch. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt, though.

In short, the AI was better than I was and I couldn't stop them. That's pretty much what I was after, anyway.

Result - England (AI) wins by 67 runs

Could we repeat the same thing going the other way?

I won the toss and decided I wanted to chase, so Scotland went in first up.

View attachment 260823
View attachment 260824
This is where the annoyance started to creep in. Golden duck to start, that was great. Then the AI put 50+ on no bother. The number of times I got lofted to cow corner during the power play with the one-foot flick from outside off stump made me want to put my head through the TV. If you put a man down there, they just go either side of him anyway!

As I mentioned previously, this format just seems to put too much strain on already papered over cracks in the game play and engine. The AI has to score at a set rate, I get that, but it then starts to play janky looking shots to all parts that look so out of place in order to maintain that set rate. It all starts to become really contrived. I even got lifted to finest fine leg three times in two overs by tail enders, from deliveries a full set of stumps outside off. Horrible.

Still, the AI as Scotland scored 38 runs less than when they were England, and I had a more manageable chase on my hands.

View attachment 260825
Made it, fairly comfortably, though I did take it down to the last over knocking them off once I got it down to a run a ball when I still needed 50 or 60.

Jason Roy aside, you'll see I had success with Malan, Morgan and Ali (all left handed), and struggled with Buttler, Bairstow and Livingstone (all right handed). I'm sure you can work out why. The AI can easily just ring the off side, bowl outside off and then it's really hard to put the ball into the gaps, or loft it over the infield. I know you can do the aggressive precision shot, but that just feels cheap.

Would I have knocked these off easier if I was a better T20 player? Probably, these things are always ability/difficulty subjective anyway. I hit some shots that I enjoyed. I got out caught behind off mistimed shot three times. The AI bowled at my legs too much. It was all fairly standard stuff.

Result - England (Me) wins by 4 wickets

So there you go. The good team beats the bad team, regardless of who controlled them. If you want to take what I was working with and carry on, expand the box below and give it a go. Just be aware, these sliders are probably a long way from the finished article. With any kind of extended play testing, some serious tweaks and alterations may become apparent. Not least with the AI run rate, which is a bit of a guess but gave two decent outcomes in the games I played.

I was playing on a Standard, medium pitch, no cracks, slow wear.

Hard match difficulty (though I think this gets replaced by your custom difficulty anyway.

View attachment 260826

View attachment 260827

View attachment 260828

View attachment 260829

View attachment 260830

The sliders most closely resemble the Australian settings in v1 of the slider spreadsheet, which are the existing settings that favour batters the most. I've then made some additional boosts to batting sliders to further emphasise that. Shot force, ideal power boost, ball bounce and so on.

I feel I'm going to go back to test cricket for the time being, with Wealey's reskilled breakthrough I want to give that a good look next. If you do play some T20s or ODIs, let me know how you get on.
Testing this for 5 games

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Is there a new pitch slider spreadsheet or do we use the attached version on page one?
Still v1 on the first page for now.

V2 won't change many of the slider numbers in truth, it's more to add further depth to it, so you should be fine.

Testing this for 5 games
Awesome, let me know how you get on!

Lassana_Dias

School Cricketer
The first game with T20 sliders of Rumple43.

human player (Afghanistan)
AI (Nottingham)
Pitch dry / medium

batting - i maybe getting use to new timing but it seemed bit difficult to slog from the start . Out of all the batters rashid khan had great timing from the first ball.

Pitch bounce was low but felt as if ball was skidding with the faster bowlers.

My batting was lazy this one so not much data to be shared am afraid.

Bowling-
AI had no idea it was chasing a low score. Lots of play and misses. It felt as if AI was looking for 2 boundaries per over . But i felt it was good at finding gaps

*No game braking bugs in this match
16421536241017330044484449350994.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread