Solve your computer problem with the help of experts!

Neo95

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can any1 tell me, What is defragment ???

And if you ever want to defragment your HDD.Never make the suicidal mistake of using Windows Defrag:p.Use Diskeeper instead,You can evenuse O&O Defrag which is better,but the difference is that Diskeeper is free and O&O is paid;)

Abhas

Retired Administrator
There is no problem in Windows Defragment. It may not be as effective, or quick, but nevertheless, it NEVER would create any problems.

I agree Diskeeper is very good, and when compared to windows defrag, it is a winner, hands down.

Neo95

Club Cricketer
On some computers every time you logon to the desktop,the wally changes how is this possible.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
AFAIK, There are softwares, like Webshots Desktop. They are capable of doing this, and a bit more.
They can cycle through the wallpapers on a daily basis, or as required.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've heard that allowing your drives, especially your C:\ or system drive to go below 15% can cause issues, especially when it comes to defragging. Is that true and if so, does it only apply to the system drive? At the moment, my C:\ is down to 9%, D:\ is 16%, so is ok.

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
My DVD drive doesn't open with the button provided i have to pin something to the hole provided...
Do i need a New DVD/RW?

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well I thought people could atleast solve these little problems on their own. Obviously if its not working you might as well send it for warranty if its in one, or send it for repairs if possible, or buy a new DVD RW all together. How can we solve hardware inner faults here? :p

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Well I thought people could atleast solve these little problems on their own. Obviously if its not working you might as well send it for warranty if its in one, or send it for repairs if possible, or buy a new DVD RW all together. How can we solve hardware inner faults here? :p

I knew :) anyway i m thinking to buy a new one on Sunday

Abhas

Retired Administrator
Chetan, You can get the tray repaired. I thing the Elastic holding it must have become free or could have broken. It can be easily repaired.
Else, go ahead and get a new one :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
I've heard that allowing your drives, especially your C:\ or system drive to go below 15% can cause issues, especially when it comes to defragging. Is that true and if so, does it only apply to the system drive? At the moment, my C:\ is down to 9%, D:\ is 16%, so is ok.

Anyone got an answer for this one?

Abhas

Retired Administrator
It is recommended that all your partitions have atleast 20% free space.
In particular, this should be followed for system partitions. It needs the space for the page files, hibernation files, efficient working of the OS.

I am also facing the same problem as you - Infact I'm worse - 3%, 5% free in my 2 partitions :eek:
I need to clear out space urgently, but I'm too lazy to do it :D

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
If I could install my AVG Anti Virus/Anti Spyware on D: it will relieve the pressure on the system drive. Will they work just as well if not installed on the system drive?

Abhas

Retired Administrator
You can choose the main program folder in the D: , but there are some common files of the software, which are generally located in System Drive:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\

These files will remain on the system Drive, and you cannot move them to D: .
You should not install programs in the other drive, rather, move files like songs, videos, other large files to the other partition.
I say this, because, after a while, both your drives will get cluttered with programs, and it will be very difficult to manage them. You will end up installing the same program in both the drives, thus resulting in more space wastage.

Though, technically, it is absolutely not a problem/issue in installing to a different drive, I would not recommend it. I have installed a few programs of mine in the other partition, and I sometimes regret doing that, for a simple reason, that I wanted to format the other partition, but because my software was on that, I could not do so.

Keep these little things in mind, and proceed :)

Users who are viewing this thread