Sri Lanka

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
sllogo.png

For discussion about the Sri Lanka cricket team in the T20 World cup.

Squad

Batsmen
Sanath Jayasuriya
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Mahela Jayawardena
Chamara Silva
Jehan Mubarak

Bowlers
Muttiah Muralidaran (vice-captain)
Ajantha Mendis
Nuwan Kulasekara
Thilan Thushara Mirando
Lasith Malinga

All Rounders
Angelo Mathews
Farveez Maharoof
Isuru Udana Thilakaratne

Wicket Keepers
Indika de Saram
Kumar Sangakkara (captain)

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
mubarak? STILL?

I know samaraweera is seen as steady test batsman but he's in form, which is more than mubarak has ever been in his life. would have been much happier with him, tharanga or udwatte in the team instead of him.

bowling looks interesting though. kulasekera is growing into a great limited over bowler, maharoof has shown good form in twenty20, Vaas is just such a wily charater and Malinga provides fantastic opening and death bowling. Throw Murali and Mendis into that equation and it's difficult to see any team finding a weak link to go after.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
mubarak? STILL?

I know samaraweera is seen as steady test batsman but he's in form, which is more than mubarak has ever been in his life. would have been much happier with him, tharanga or udwatte in the team instead of him.

bowling looks interesting though. kulasekera is growing into a great limited over bowler, maharoof has shown good form in twenty20, Vaas is just such a wily charater and Malinga provides fantastic opening and death bowling. Throw Murali and Mendis into that equation and it's difficult to see any team finding a weak link to go after.

He's probably still cashing in on that furious 46 from 13 balls against Kenya at the last T20 world cup. His T20 record looks OK especially when you compare with Chamara Silva or even Jayawardene who have been pretty ordinary in the shortest form so far. He's also excellent in the field.

naresh091

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Mahela,Dilshan,Sanga,Murali,Malinga are all in fantastic form.Their only concern would be Jaya's slightly pathetic batting form.
They are one of the top 3 contenders for the title for me.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Powerful team. Jaya to open with Dilshan maybe, Mahela, Sanga, Silva the middle order. Mubarak/Matthews might bat at 6, Mahroof at 7, Malinga, Kulasekra, Mendis, Murali the 4 bowlers. Batting looks a bit thin, long tail, so maybe Mubarak will play for sure. Mahroof might be dropped for an allrounder who is a better batsman. But apart from that, strong top order, lethal bowling combination...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This is a very strong team. But there are stronger teams than SL in this competition. But SL have the capability to reach the finals. Murali is going to be the danger guy. Malinga and Murali in the team is a big boost. Mendis should not be picked. Instead, Thushara and other fast bowlers must be picked. Mendis has been sorted out.

Amiya

Panel of Selectors
Jayawardene, Malinga and Murali are in great form. Jayasuriya too can exploit any bowling attack. According to me, Sri lanka would be good contender. I would love to watch India vs. Sri lanka in finals.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
was thinking about this, but obviously the main factor for sri lanka will be how sangakkara leads the team. One of the most inexperienced captains in the competition but also potentially one of the better ones.

massively smart cricketer and person, obviously has the full backing of the team but he still has to go out and actually do the job well.

if he does well though, the bit part players well mak telling contributions and the match winners just need to step up and they'll be in the semi's at least.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Mendis might have been figured out by the sides he has already played but I don't think WI have played him yet and I know the Aussie plays haven't. So he will be useful for the group stage at the very least.

Their bowling lineup would be up there with Pakistan having the spin twins and Malinga. The batting is the big question with no real big hitter.

naresh091

International Cricketer
Mendis made his debut against the Windies IIRC.The Aussies will smell havoc for atleast teh first 5 games they face him.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Mendis might have been figured out by the sides he has already played but I don't think WI have played him yet and I know the Aussie plays haven't. So he will be useful for the group stage at the very least.

Their bowling lineup would be up there with Pakistan having the spin twins and Malinga. The batting is the big question with no real big hitter.

see, I'm a bit unsure about this figuring out business. I mean, in ODIs sometimes spinners go for a lot, it just happens, he's young and the tests in pakistan are hardly any litmus test. how many batsmen got double centuries there? the wickets couldn't be any flatter (in fact I think cricinfo said it was statisitcally the most batting friendly series ever in history)

it's not about being figured out, it's about bowling well, and he can bowl very well.

however should point out that he made his ODI debut against the windies.

Users who are viewing this thread