T20 World Cup 2012

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah India certainly punished him in those Tests of 2009, but Mendis hasn't really been successful in Tests since that original series in 2008 anyway eg. Pakistan had hammered him in 2009 as well before Sehwag got hold of him. The more relevant question is whether his T20 game will suffer or not and it's hard to tell because he hasn't played too much recently.

From start of 2010 here are Mendis' averages:
Tests: 6 matches, 18 wickets @ 56.44, 3.05 RPO
ODIs: 21 matches, 24 wickets @ 29.42, 4.42 RPO
T20Is: 9 matches, 15 wickets @ 13.4, 6.09 RPO

Just seems like a great way to destroy Mendis' confidence though, by telling him: 'hey you can play against this team, but not against that team'. If he's not good enough to play against EVERY team, then he really shouldn't be in the team to start with. (If that all makes sense :p)

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
ICC World Twenty20 2012 : Jacques Kallis will play the World Twenty20 for South Africa | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

Predictable poor and questionable T20 squad from the Proteas.

Where is David Miller, Ryan McClaren, Roloef Van Der Merwe and Colin Ingram??

Amla, Parnell one of Ontong/Behardien, really don't deserve to be in that squad.

After these two superb innings on T20 finals day today in England by David Miller:

- Sssx 136/8 (20.0 ov, A Khan 5*, CD Nash 80*, RJ Sidebottom 1/28) - Match over | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

- Yorks 140/8 (20.0 ov, DA Miller 72*, DR Briggs 1/27) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Its even more mind-boggling that the proteas did not select him in their world t20 squad as i suggested earlier in the thread.:facepalm

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Mendis is still a fine T20 bowler and he's doing well in the SLPL also. I think he will go on to be one of the key bowlers in the tournament. It will be interesting to watch both Narine and Mendis in the tournament, batsmen's nightmare on this pitches. :D

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I like the England squad. Full of exciting young players with some good experience to mix in there. I think we actually have a great chance of doing well. Personally, for the final XI, I'd go with:

Hales
Wright
Kieswetter
Morgan
Bairstow
Buttler
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Finn
Briggs

I wouldn't be surprised if Patel and Bopara started though. I just think we're better off with explosive players in that middle order. Luke Wright for example has been off and proven himself as a good player, so I'd rather go with him and have him as a bowling option over Bopara, but I expect England may go the other way.

Anjula

Club Captain
This should be the Final XI for Sri Lanka in My Opinion:
Tilakaratne Dilshan
Dilshan Munaweera
Kumar Sangakkara(W)
Mahela Jayawardana(C)
Lahiru Thirimanne
Angelo Mathews
Thisara Perera
Shaminda Eranga(OBW)
Lasith Malinga(OBW)
Ajantha Mendis
Akila Dananjaya

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Thirimanne ahead of Mathews? I'd open with Jayawardene and try to fit Mathews into my top 5.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
mendis' career has been subject to a little too much influence from the media. he was the next murali for a couple of months, then went to being useless.

more annoyingly sri lanka bought it, it's almost inexplicable he was dropped for the world cup final after being one of the bowlers of the tournament.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Mathews was sensational last night, I agree he should get to bat at the top order.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Just noticed, Bangladesh is in the Caribbean to play a couple of warm up T20s. My question is- why go all the way to the Caribbean ? Haven't the players had enough practice in Sri Lanka ? They could have very easily hosted say Afghanistan or Ireland for a couple of games. The decision of touring the Windies seems pretty much stupid.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Evening all. I've written an article to preview the tournament.

Kick The Whistle said:
The World Twenty20 is the product of the modern era in cricket. T20 was launched in 2003 to boost attendances and interest levels in the English county game, but few could have expected the format to take over quite as much as it has. The first international match took place in 2005 ? between Australia and New Zealand ? and there are various domestic leagues that have been set up all over the world, most notably the Indian Premier League, which is as much about the money as it is about the cricket.

Go here to read it and do tell me what you think of my predictions.

Users who are viewing this thread