TAOC Alpha Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11215

For once Will, I'm agreeing with you here. Its been looking nice and attractive for months and months, but really, its shoddy marketing from the guys here. I know this started out as a "lets actually make a cricket game that's good, and is for everyone," but you either bring out regular updates, and wayyy before now there should have been some playability for people, OR you keep it behind closed doors.

Although this is a farcical effort from a "games company," perspective, nonetheless i'm a Cricket fan and am willing to give anything a go. Timing is crucial from here on in, as too long and you'll lose followers.

Ha nice to see an old face agreeing with me atleast not everyone hates me :p

Allrounder18

Banned
and another reason why TAOC will beat everyone in terms of gameplay.
the marker is for the straight ball...more like a reference. so if its swinging..it'll pitch differently than the marker. otherwise even tailenders can comfortably play swing lol.

hmm....about the anims after the release. tbh, am really not sure at this stage. depends on how many play the game, ratings / feedback etc.

jkartik added 11 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

i dont know about LM's future plans but this game will certainly not "enrich" my resume in anyway.

am an aspiring movie director / writer / actor. making this game has nothing to do with my career prospects as you can tell.

i should actually be doing rounds of production studios, making short films, writing scripts, assisting directors, giving auditions etc. but am putting it all on hold so that i can finish this game once and for all. its ONLY the love for the sport and TAOC that has kept me going over the years.

i've never done any course in animation nor game development and whatever i've learnt so far is due to self-learning and improvement with obviously
the guidance of LM.

many a times, i decided to quit TAOC, planetcricket and the entire scenario and focus on my career...i even came pretty close and literally announced my resignation to LM. heck, even LM came close to quitting.

we have sacrificed social lives, personal relationships etc just for this game.

all this and for what ? few hundred people who MIGHT like this game, no pay etc. oh and not to mention facing the OTT nit-picking of a few members who sometimes fail to understand the basic things.

and now while am writing this, its again gotten me into the philosophical zone where i question whether i should continue or not ! :doh

so i better stop the "repeated several times" rant and go to bed in the hopes of getting up fresh and working towards the alpha.

JK

I respect each and every min you and LM have dedicated to this game and I think other should realize this that you guys are doing just for the love of the game and not for profit motive so plz guys stop being hypercritical.

umair jalil

School Cricketer
Jk and LM you are the true cricket fans,:clap I really appreciate your efforts and best of luck for your future

Last edited:

yusuf_m

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Just wanted to add my support to JK and LM ...

Keep going guys, we all admire your dedication and can'r wait to get our hands on what will be the best cricket game ever.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Most things people are mentioning like the vertices, the ball too red, etc are very minor and when people play the game and if gameplay is as good as it sounds then people won't even notice those.

My suggestion as always is please give priority to the alpha release. Once people actually see the gameplay then they would see the big picture and hopefully give better feedback

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

For once Will, I'm agreeing with you here. Its been looking nice and attractive for months and months, but really, its shoddy marketing from the guys here. I know this started out as a "lets actually make a cricket game that's good, and is for everyone," but you either bring out regular updates, and wayyy before now there should have been some playability for people, OR you keep it behind closed doors.

Although this is a farcical effort from a "games company," perspective, nonetheless i'm a Cricket fan and am willing to give anything a go. Timing is crucial from here on in, as too long and you'll lose followers.

A little harsh, yes, but also true. Our marketing has been poor, because it has really been non-existent! And we're effectively a 2-man part time Indie at this stage. I wouldn't call ourselves a 'games company' until we release at least 1 game ;)

Good to see people mentioning the foot movement i thought i was the only one, and I think I mentioned it in an earlier video, which would make sense as JK said it was the old anims.

I showed the video to a friend and he was shocked at how good they looked. Couple of things, I think it was mentioned that the type of pitch will play a role in this game, so I would like to ask if this was a hard pitch would the ball bounce a lot high and carry through high because it does seem very skiddy.

Also as for the pace bowling the seam movement was brilliant, but it didnt really seem to swing much, so i was just wondering if, JK and LM did take my suggestion on board about whether the swinging ball will land on the marker or not, or does it deviate from the marker meaning the batsman will have to anticipate swing.

Lastly after the game is released, could more animations be added provided JK would want to continue to make them, or if someone else offered.

Top Stuff
Brilliant stuff

Different pitches will definitely affect the ball bounce and skid factor.

Re: the seam/swing...the swing was subtle here, but it shouldn't be too over the top. There will be a range though of min and max swing possible. I would say this amount is more like a 7-8/10.

Seaming is different though. If you watch this vid (number 2) carefully you will see it swings away in the air before it bounces, also taking it wide of the original bowling marker.

Plus I highly doubt they are developing this game to get rich. It's probably most for their resumes.

If they were going to make 50-100k off this then I am sure it would have been a different story but there is no way this game will generate that kind of revenue. It will probably be pirated to the max.

It's all about numbers to me. I want more and more people playing it, rather than cold hard cash. I want market saturation for cricket gaming fans- oh, and world domination too.

Just wanted to add my support to JK and LM ...

Keep going guys, we all admire your dedication and can'r wait to get our hands on what will be the best cricket game ever.

Thanks. Believe me, no-one wants to play the full game more than me and JK!

cnbd_novice

International Coach
@sachingr8 and @styles20 - the next vid will have LOADS more batting and bowling animations and also the physics and stuff. :)

if we stick to our guns....then may be in another 7-10 days ?
even quicker if we go crazy lol! :P

Another set of videos, huh? Wow, the Alpha must be way behind what I expected.

Lol, guess that's what I get for getting my hopes up. :)

Last edited:

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Take your time guys. I am willing to wait. :)

Not even too much bothered about videos and stuff.. just want something to play.. something quality! So, enjoy whatever you do and do it for fun. :)

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Quick update here - fixed these things last night:

- The ball size has been reduced and the brightness (caused by too much specular lighting) reduced
- The ground friction has been increased
- The bowler's 3D ball icon has been moved down and to the right, away from the main action
- The bounce of the ball reduced

Also, not sure if anyone noticed, but in Video 3 you get a small glimpse of the spinner getting a tiny bit of subtle drift and spin once it hits the ground. Note also the spinning of the 3D ball icon which the bowler uses to choose the delivery type. If people hadn't already worked it out, the amount of spin is determined by how fast the revolutions of the 3d ball icon are spinning at the point of release. The type of delivery is determined by the direction of the spin.

The flight of the ball is determined by the spinner's 'power bar'. At the maximum level the ball is flat and faster, at the lowest level it is flighted and slower.

For pace bowlers (as seen in Video 2) the ball icon has the seam tilted to the left to make it into an outswinger. The amount of swing here was hardcoded, but in the real sim will be based on tons of different factors, such as weather, condition of the ball, skill of the bowler etc.

If the pacer 'spins' the ball icon like the spin bowler does then it generates seam movement or 'cut' and is also dependent on the speed of the spinning of the ball icon at the moment of release.

LM

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors

- The ball size has been reduced and the brightness (caused by too much specular lighting) reduced
- The bowler's 3D ball icon has been moved down and to the right, away from the main action

Also, not sure if anyone noticed, but in Video 3 you get a small glimpse of the spinner getting a tiny bit of subtle drift and spin once it hits the ground. Note also the spinning of the 3D ball icon which the bowler uses to choose the delivery type. If people hadn't already worked it out, the amount of spin is determined by how fast the revolutions of the 3d ball icon are spinning at the point of release. The type of delivery is determined by the direction of the spin.

The flight of the ball is determined by the spinner's 'power bar'. At the maximum level the ball is flat and faster, at the lowest level it is flighted and slower.

For pace bowlers (as seen in Video 2) the ball icon has the seam tilted to the left to make it into an outswinger. The amount of swing here was hardcoded, but in the real sim will be based on tons of different factors, such as weather, condition of the ball, skill of the bowler etc.

If the pacer 'spins' the ball icon like the spin bowler does then it generates seam movement or 'cut' and is also dependent on the speed of the spinning of the ball icon at the moment of release.

LM

nice to see them.
It will help us to get many innovations.
Nice work dude.:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise:hpraise

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
lovely system :) Just hope it is as good practically as it sounds in theory. ;)

Allrounder18

Banned

LM

So it means that if there is strong wind in ball 1 of the over it will likely to swing more than the ball 6 of the over where there is no/little wind ? Also on a seaming track and strong wind even a part time medium pacer can swing the new ball miles so how much bowler skill will translate in to this? (I think he should get uncontrollable swing which resulting in wides most of the times)

Regarding the bounce I thought it was low in the 2nd video also will there be less friction on a hard pitch (means the ball will lose less pace after pitching) combine it with the overcloud atmosphere and strong wind then you will have a nightmare as a batsman

Finally plz tell me I am not dreaming:doh and you have incorporated all the things I have mentioned in this post:p

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
Just watched the vid's and WOW, after year's of disappointment's and rehashed edition's it looks like we may finally have something that does the game of cricket justice. Highly anticipating the alpha release now. Good work fella's!!:)

arundracula

Club Cricketer
There will be no cricket games above TAOC after release. I am sure. :happy

I like the ball speed and movement in the 2nd video (especially).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread