Television Coverage

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I don't understand why Eurosport is such a popular channel.

It's schedule is frequently inexplicably changed, it breaks into adverts at random and inappropriate moments, it's presentation looks dated and it rarely gets the rights for any big events.

As I write, it is showing Fencing. Cycling, volleyball and U20 football is also on it's listings for today. These are sports that nobody really understands or cares enough about to watch it!

The sound quality on the Fencing is poor as well, the commentators sound as if they have chest infections.

Despite all of this, it is popular in 54 countries!

Last edited:

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Its in Australia. On a channel 24 hours a day, no-one watches the crap.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Its in Australia. On a channel 24 hours a day, no-one watches the crap.

In the UK, Eurosport isn't available as an analogue channel. It is available with digital, satellite and cable packages as standard though.

I think it's popular precisely because it shows sports that the other channels don't.

I wouldn't mind learning the rules of Fencing or volleyball, even though I don't care that much about it right now. If Eurosport invested in some better sound equipment and brought their presentation into the 21st Century, I might watch it!

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
It's only on satellite and cable in Australia

The way Hooper put it, it sounded like it was freely available in Australia.

Not only should Eurosport invest in better sound equipment and bring their presentation into the 21st Century, they should also stick to their schedules!

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
I agree. Everything looks like a re-run. Generally, because it is. The commentator sounds as if the microphone is inside his mouth. The only time I ever watch that channel is for International Football matches and Athletics.

sd92

International Coach
I never watch it, apart from beach volleyball :p

Did anyone watch the Beach Cricket on skysports last night?

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I agree. Everything looks like a re-run. Generally, because it is. The commentator sounds as if the microphone is inside his mouth. The only time I ever watch that channel is for International Football matches and Athletics.

I am very much the same.

I never watch it, apart from beach volleyball :p

Did anyone watch the Beach Cricket on skysports last night?

No, I didn't yesterday, but it's now showing on Sky Sports Xtra and I'm watching that.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
As Andrew said, people watch it because it has comprehensive coverage that you cant get anywhere else, ok so the production values aren't very high but a few years back skysports was pretty much as poor and Eurosport dont get £40 a month off everyone do they, they have to rely on adverts for Continental Tyres and other such low brand products to pay for their programmes.

sd92

International Coach
No, I didn't yesterday, but it's now showing on Sky Sports Xtra and I'm watching that.

Was awesome wasn't it, are they making it a regular thing, or just a one off, if they are, i will make a beachcricket thread, cos its a pretty fun sport by the looks of it

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Was awesome wasn't it, are they making it a regular thing, or just a one off, if they are, i will make a beachcricket thread, cos its a pretty fun sport by the looks of it
Not if your local beach has pebbles instead of sand :p

sd92

International Coach
It doesn't have pebbles, but the sand isn't particularly golden, and the water reminds me more of the colour of sewage rather than blue seas, where you can see the bottom :p

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
As Andrew said, people watch it because it has comprehensive coverage that you cant get anywhere else, ok so the production values aren't very high but a few years back skysports was pretty much as poor and Eurosport dont get ?40 a month off everyone do they, they have to rely on adverts for Continental Tyres and other such low brand products to pay for their programmes.

I appreciate that. Although, I probably have a better quality microphone than Eurosport do and I bought mine very cheaply from PC World.

Not if your local beach has pebbles instead of sand :p

It doesn't have pebbles, but the sand isn't particularly golden, and the water reminds me more of the colour of sewage rather than blue seas, where you can see the bottom :p

I enjoyed the beach cricket. It was a fun and interesting concept. The presentation and sound quality was good and it was great to see the legends in action again.

It was played during the Ashes tour so I doubt it will be on again any time soon unfortunately.

I will rename this thread to "Television Coverage" so the discussion isn't restricted to Europsort.

Users who are viewing this thread