Your Cricket The Art of Offspin.

Lee1981

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yea, I'm working with a tactic to try and dart a few in, get the batsman ready on the back foot, then float one up.

Also, I'm not the only one who struggles to spin it on this surface :p But the leggie in our team can get quite good turn. Guess I either don't get enough revolutions or don't release it right.

Tried a faster ball variation too. Except it wasn't that much faster than my standard dart :p Need stronger shoulders.

Gotta say im not sure either if im releasing the ball right, i have definately improved alot in the past 6 weeks of nets, i can feel that it is coming out the hand alot better, plus im getting some good turn.

But like i said before i dont know if that is down to the amount spin im putting on the ball or if the mat we use is assisting me greatly, its starting to bug me not knowing.:facepalm

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
i release the ball at a 90 degree angle when i bowl, and find it hard to find it hard to release it at a 45 degree angle where it usually spins. I do know how to bowl a arm ball though and would like to know how to turn the ball. any techniques?

Lee1981

International Coach
I just really concentrate on what my fingers are doing at the point of release, my run up, follow through and position of my hand at release i no longer really think about they just sort of take care of themselves sort of now.

So i got more time to think about making sure i try and give the ball as much rip as i can, before i used to think about everything but the release and it wouldnt spin.

Im not a big ripper like a swann or h singh, i have my thumb on the ball and use mostly my index finger to impart my spin, but like ive said before im not sure if im actually pretty good at spinning it or if the indoor mat is assisting me a lot.

Last edited:

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Decent session today.

Friend pointed out a small kink in my bowling action at the point of release which was causing me to fire the ball in with my arm and not use the whole body. My arm was hurting at the end, but then I made the adjustment and it was coming out pretty well.

A few deliveries turned, was focusing on how I released it too so was getting a bit more spin than before. Bowling at a decent pace, got some sharp bounce when I fired it in short, all in all quite promising. Bowled some filth too, true, so need to work on consistency a bit. But yea, I'm getting a better grasp of it.

Last edited:

Lee1981

International Coach
when I fired it in short

As a fellow spinner im not sure thats where you want to be bowling, your just asking to get slogged out the ground. im not trying to dig you out just trying to help.

Glad your releasing it better now, concentrating on your release definately helps me aswell.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Matter of practice really now. Just wish that coach guy was there, I keep in mind that I must pivot on my front foot but am not really sure I'm doing it.

Also, it's a bit depressing that when I rip the ball as much as I can, it still doesn't spin more than one stump's width. Gonna play a match this Sunday at another Uni's ground, so let's see how it turns on that wicket.

Lee1981

International Coach
I need to pivot on my front foot more aswell, sometimes i do it great other times im very half hearted when i follow through.

Good luck bowling next time mate let me know how it goes.

I got nets tuesday night and im really going to try and spin it loads and see how that affects my accuracy.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Bowled today.

Short runup, realised I wasn't comfortable with a longer one, prefer just ambling in.

Got decent revolutions, accuracy was pretty good, was trying to bowl as well as I could keeping in mind I had a match to play tomorrow, so no experimenting. Got like one ball to rip sharply and I have no idea how. I guess it must have hit a crack or something :p A few turned but not a lot. Decent bounce and paste, fired in my yorker length stuff well when I tried.

Looking forward to bowling tomorrow.

Lee1981

International Coach
Had my first bas session last tuesday in a long time, without making any excuses but i had so much going on lately i just couldnt get anything going how i normally do, i didnt decide till the last minute if i was even gonna go, wish i hadn't:facepalm.

Next week gonna make sure im in the right frame of mind before i go, i want to build on the large improvements ive made recently

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
7-0-57-3 today in a game where we ended up conceding 349 in 35 overs.

Two wickets in my first over, both openers, one caught at point and one stumped. Bowled a nice first 5 over spell after being brought in at the 7th over, had one dropped catch during this time, one near stumping (square leg decided it was not out), and one absolutely plum lbw (hit on the back foot by a low full toss right in front off middle) that wasn't given.

Second spell of 2 overs towards the end of the innings, got one more stumping, but bowled a few bad balls to the lefty in my last over which was disappointing. It was like fulltoss (4), landed on a length and completely beat his slog, then fulltoss off the last ball (3).

Overall I think I could have bowled a bit better, but I bowled well in general. Was our most threatening looking bowler, broke a 50 run + opening stand, got a few deliveries to kick and turn which was nice to see.

So pleased overall, even tho we got absolutely thrashed.

Spraggy

Club Cricketer
If anyone has seen Marcus Norths bowling action mine is pretty much like that. Our Home pitch does turn quite alot and where i play in kent all pitches do turn quite a bit. Last season i had a straight run up which lead to me droping it short, last season i finished with 10 wickets in 12 games and an avarage of 28.67 and econnamy of 5.01, my best figures where 11-5-32, 11-2-41, 10-2-45, 4-1-10, like i said though now i have changed my action and does look like Norths ( was not meant to look like that ) I only have the problem of pivoting when i do pivot i get good flight and turn when i dont pivot it drops short. I bowl with no great pace prob about 35-40 MPH.

----------

7-0-57-3 today in a game where we ended up conceding 349 in 35 overs.

Two wickets in my first over, both openers, one caught at point and one stumped. Bowled a nice first 5 over spell after being brought in at the 7th over, had one dropped catch during this time, one near stumping (square leg decided it was not out), and one absolutely plum lbw (hit on the back foot by a low full toss right in front off middle) that wasn't given.

Second spell of 2 overs towards the end of the innings, got one more stumping, but bowled a few bad balls to the lefty in my last over which was disappointing. It was like fulltoss (4), landed on a length and completely beat his slog, then fulltoss off the last ball (3).

Overall I think I could have bowled a bit better, but I bowled well in general. Was our most threatening looking bowler, broke a 50 run + opening stand, got a few deliveries to kick and turn which was nice to see.

So pleased overall, even tho we got absolutely thrashed.

Was that first game of the season ? Not bad for first game back really !

Lee1981

International Coach
Nice one zorax, least you picked up a few wickets mate,

I think as an offie you can expect to go for a few runs.

Spraggy, isn't 40 mph a bit to slow to bowl?

Alot of the lads at my club tell me alot to try and bowl quicker as at those speeds its just easy pickings.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
First hardball game I've played in a long while, so my first bowl in a non-nets situation. Pretty pleased with that.

And yea, you will go for runs. I got clean slogged for 2 sixes and a few fours off deliveries that weren't bad at all.

40 MPH is a bit on the slow side. Should be aiming to be around about 50 MPH. I think I bowl at mid-later 40s too though tbh.

Also, North has a pretty neat action. You could do much worse than that.

Last edited:

Spraggy

Club Cricketer
Nice one zorax, least you picked up a few wickets mate,

I think as an offie you can expect to go for a few runs.

Spraggy, isn't 40 mph a bit to slow to bowl?

Alot of the lads at my club tell me alot to try and bowl quicker as at those speeds its just easy pickings.

thats what i think my speed is, never been taken on the speed gun, and i can be easy pickings sometimes but only go for 5 and a bit an over which aint to bad for 45/45 over games!

Users who are viewing this thread