The FA Cup Thread

PhilD123

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Everton 1-0 United. FA Cup final 1995.:(
Spurs 2-1 Chelsea Carling Cup final 2008

I could go on but I think those examples show it well enough. The best team on paper doesn't always win the match.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
We were outplayed, but it's not as if we shouldn't have been there. If it was Scolari's Chelsea we'd have won.

Yeh exactly, we beat Liverpool, Aston Villa and Manchester United on the way to that final, if we didn't deserve to be there, then I don't know who else did. We did exceptionally well to even get through to the final, so really there's no way that anyone can say Everton had no chance of lifting the cup that day.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
I never said you did not deserve to be there. But it was always an extremely outside chance of beating Chelsea in the final.

PhilD123

International Coach
How about responding to my last post? The best team on paper doesn't always win.

PhilD123

International Coach
Then we get back to Everton beating United in a cup final and Chelsea beating Spurs in a cup final, going back further, Wimbledon beating Liverpool in a cup final. It's not just a slim chance, yes Chelsea were more likely but Everton have a good team.

sd92

International Coach
If the chance was so slim, why were Everton trading at around 4.2 on Betfair. That's 3.2/1 in normal betting figures, as Betfair is decimal figures, and I wouldn't call a price which is effectively 3/1 an "outside chance". An outside chance in my books in football, is when prices are above 10/1. For example, Kazakhstan are 28/1 to beat England - that's an outside chance.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
When Kewell was at his prime, Barca were rubbish. So I dont think he would have joined them anyways.

Hahaha that's funny. SBS The World Game - Kewell, Rijkaard unite at Gala
"When Rijkaard took over the coach job at Barcelona in 2003 one of the first players he wanted in his team was Harry," Mandic said.

"Harry chose to go (from Leeds) to Liverpool but Rijkaard's Gala appointment is very good news for Harry."

Also about Timmy Cahill SBS The World Game - Cahill: I don't need to move
Cahill is widely considered good enough to play for England's big four and is rated highly by some of the world's best managers, including Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger and the former Australia coach Guus Hiddink.

Although he does not rule out a move to a bigger club, Cahill does not feel like he is missing anything by staying with Everton.
"To qualify for the Champions League (qualifiers in 2004-05), to play in two FA Cup finals and the World Cup, for me it's like winning.

"I'm winning because getting Millwall to the FA Cup final, it's something that will never happen again.

"And with Everton, you look at what we spend and what we achieve.

"Of course, I love silverware, I love all the award nominations and all that but I also think I've achieved a lot and have been part of a league team that's been contesting more and more, not a team that's slumping or that's stayed stagnant."

Cahill is fiercely loyal to Everton and their manager David Moyes, who plucked him from the English Championship, and makes no bones about it.

"I have to be," he said."I've been there for five years and they've always rewarded and looked after me."

Last edited:

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
The true hallmark of a joke fan is to immediately assume that the better team on paper has a 100% guarantee to win. Unlucky vaughan, your a joke fan. You don't support a team who's even from your country = joke fan. You support more than one team = joke fan. You don't support the nation you are from = joke fan.

And you still won't admit that Barca are better than you = epic fail, joke fan.

What other team does he support? If it's from a different country then the first team he supports, or if they will never meet then I don't see the problem. I support 2 teams (Sydney and Liverpool) and pretty much every soccer fan in Australia does (A-League team and EPL or Spanish or Italian team)

Thats a stupid comparision. Real Madrid are stronger than all four of those sides (even the current one). But the situation was different. Real were playing them having pretty much lost the title race, while Chelsea were playing in a cup final, with everything to play for.

Pretty Much? So there was still a slim chance? Wouldn't that make you more determined to go all out and win like Liverpool? (for example)

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
What other team does he support? If it's from a different country then the first team he supports, or if they will never meet then I don't see the problem. I support 2 teams (Sydney and Liverpool) and pretty much every soccer fan in Australia does (A-League team and EPL or Spanish or Italian team)

Pretty Much? So there was still a slim chance? Wouldn't that make you more determined to go all out and win like Liverpool? (for example)

To answer your first question, I basically have one preferred team from all the four big leagues in Europe. But I only support Real Madrid and Spain, and have done from the time I started watching football.

To answer your second question, that is what I was hoping for, but the way we played against Valencia, showed that the players had given up. There was no fight, something that was clearly visible prior to the clasico game. We did not play well this season, but still managed to stay in the title hunt for much longer than one would have expected, especially after December when Barca were 15 points clear.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Oh that is a glorious glorious result at Old Trafford. Don't like Leeds much but still hard not to crack a smile :D

Users who are viewing this thread