Review The Official Thread for Wii

Monty - SA

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
As you can tell from the title I am absolutely estatic about the game I bought (AC09 for Wii.) I will give you a review of it.

My First Game
After a study of the Tutorial I geared up into Ashes T20 action with me as England. With Cricket 07 being so easy to slog I attempted to smash the ball with Straussy! But I was reallistically bowled and the stumps went flying. Bopara and Bell played steady to take England to the 40-1 mark but Symonds destroyed me with spin and I slumped to 91-8. Thankfully, Swann and Anderson stayed in, making a mass partnership of 45 leaving England on 136-8 after the allocated overs.
Bowling is slightly more tricky, with wickets being hard to get and I consequently suffered. After 13.5 overs Australia had smashed 139 for the loss of no wicket. Now into the proper bit.....

Gameplay - Impressive, but bowling could improve - 8
Graphics - Nothing special, abit like BLIC 05 - 5
Range of Modes - Superb scenario mode - 8
Commentary - Work Required but good start - 6

Conclusion - Fantastic game, very addicting - got it yesterday at 3 pm - slept for 2 hours since rest of time just played it, sorry for rushed review but I must return to the game. If PS3 is better than this than it must be game of the decade......I think I might be sad?

Any question will be answered instantly!

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
How is the batting control in Wii? I mean how do you play different shots - straight drive, cover drive etc. And can you place your shots all over the arc or the shots only go in a few select directions?

Since Wii Motion Plus is not supported by the game, I am a bit curious about the game control. I hope it's not as simplistic as Wii Tennis where you simply waggle the Wiimote.

OffCutters

International Coach
Yeah, how do you play different shots, and how do you choose the amount of spin/swing, when bowling?

Monty - SA

School Cricketer
How is the batting control in Wii? I mean how do you play different shots - straight drive, cover drive etc. And can you place your shots all over the arc or the shots only go in a few select directions?

Since Wii Motion Plus is not supported by the game, I am a bit curious about the game control. I hope it's not as simplistic as Wii Tennis where you simply waggle the Wiimote.
Using the control bad you higlight an area of the pitch you wish to hit the ball to. Say if you were playing the ball straight, you would swing (I prefer to do the motion of a cover drive as it gets more power) the Wiimote far for a powerful shot and lightly to play for a single. You hold down B to slog.
You adjust spin/swing by twisting the Wiimote at the end of your bowling action (can chuck if want to.) Also, to get effective swing you have to bowl a tad slower and shine the ball before hand.

OffCutters

International Coach
Nice, they do have test matches right? Though i cant imagine myself playing on the Wii for that long. And, does it work that the harder you swing the Wiimote when bowling, the faster you bowl?

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Seems okay... What about test matches? What's the gameplay like on there?

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
Using the control bad you higlight an area of the pitch you wish to hit the ball to. Say if you were playing the ball straight, you would swing (I prefer to do the motion of a cover drive as it gets more power) the Wiimote far for a powerful shot and lightly to play for a single. You hold down B to slog.
You adjust spin/swing by twisting the Wiimote at the end of your bowling action (can chuck if want to.) Also, to get effective swing you have to bowl a tad slower and shine the ball before hand.

So does that mean you have to use control pad to select the direction in which shot is to be played and Wiimote is used only for playing the shot? Looks like I can simply wave the Wiimote any which way as long as I have the direction specified using the control pad.

And thanks for answering queries. Really appreciate that.

Monty - SA

School Cricketer
Nice, they do have test matches right? Though i cant imagine myself playing on the Wii for that long. And, does it work that the harder you swing the Wiimote when bowling, the faster you bowl?
Yes - they do have Test matches! If you swing the remote further it goes faster if you haven't applied swing and selected the faster ball.

Seems okay... What about test matches? What's the gameplay like on there?
Test matches are fine. The AI paces itself fine if you bowl well....

Is there online play?
No

So does that mean you have to use control pad to select the direction in which shot is to be played and Wiimote is used only for playing the shot? Looks like I can simply wave the Wiimote any which way as long as I have the direction specified using the control pad.

And thanks for answering queries. Really appreciate that.
If you wave the Wiimote anyway the shot will be a light one. You can always not put a direction in and let the AI decide the best direction but that is very unreliable.....

cricket/2009

School Cricketer
Could you get someone to video like the screen and you playing the game, if its possible and you know what i mean so you playing the shots and bowling and the screen.

Ste

Executive member
how u like the gameplay ??? Is it fun or just play an hour and change??????

Its pretty good, I have the game but have been away over the weekend so not much chance to play it until tonight.

The amount of options is very limited:

Exhibition - a choice of one off test matches and ODIs/Twenty20 and also Double Wicket
The Ashes - 5 test ashes series
Scenarios, about 50 scenarios which can be unlocked as you get through them all, I dont think based on real life situations, not played many so not 100% sure.

There is no hawkeye in the game (or not that I have seen), you dont get to see the speed of each ball, stats is basically just the scorecard (no wagon wheel etc. etc.).

Only 8 teams are included - no Bangladesh or Zimbabwe.

As previously mentioned in this thread, batting is as follows:

*Bowler starts his run up
*Can move along the crease with + and - buttons
*Ball pitching position is shown as bowler runs
*Use the down d-pad button and point the wiiremote at the screen to select where you want the shot to go, after the ball has left the bowlers hand swing the wii-remote timing it right to make the shot.
*Hold A whilst doing that for a defensive shot, hold nothing for a normal shot and B for a lofted shot.
*The batsman then performs the shot as the ball gets to him (not simultaneously with you swing the remote).

As also mentioned you can swing the wii remote any way you want once you have chosen the shot direction. You can do this on Wii Sports tennis though really!

Its 100% best to play the shot with the wiiremote though, makes it much more entertaining and satisfying as 9/10 the game does seem to play the shot you are acting out.

It is very enjoyable to play really, for the next version of the game Wii MotionPlus would be a must, being able to act out the shot simultaneously as actually playing the ball on the game would be fantastic and definatly make up for the lack of options.

I am playing a test match on hard at the moment, once I get into bowling I will post on how the CPU AI is and if the problems in the PC version is there.

TangoCharlie

School Cricketer
One thing that irks me is that I cant tell who's on strike when batting.

Am I missing something?

Also when bowling, I'm not sure why you have to click the large cricket ball before making a point for the ball to pitch. Is it for swing?

I enjoyed batting and did fairly well until I got a bit impatient and couldnt resist some suicide runs (i have a problem there!!).
Bowling is tough, Ive got two out by catches but not seen any stumps fly yet!

Tc

Ste

Executive member
One thing that irks me is that I cant tell who's on strike when batting.

Am I missing something?

Also when bowling, I'm not sure why you have to click the large cricket ball before making a point for the ball to pitch. Is it for swing?

I enjoyed batting and did fairly well until I got a bit impatient and couldnt resist some suicide runs (i have a problem there!!).
Bowling is tough, Ive got two out by catches but not seen any stumps fly yet!

Tc

Yes the large cricket ball is for shining the ball, if you quickly move the remote up and down it will add shine to the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread