They should have been Playing...

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The Thread title sucks i know :doh

I m talking about some players who were axed just for some handy games, one of them "M Kaif"

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Kaif had a lot of bad luck, but he never was the most gifted/naturally skilled batsman. Very Collingwood like player really. And that wasn't going to cut it for the Indian batting lineup really. Although Kaif had more skill and was easier on the eye than Collingwood is, and didn't have the destructive nature that Collingwood sometimes does.

I do think Kaif should have had a longer run, better choice than Raina, Sharma, etc. With some time and opportunities, he certainly could have been a mainstay in our ODI top order. Someone who stabilises the innings, plays some pretty shots, gets the runs and fields brilliantly.

Other names who were unlucky, in my opinion, are Dinesh Mongia and Murali Kartik. Kartik is the best spinner in India ATM and still not playing, while Mongia was a class act who was never used right. A batsman who bowls on the side being stuck as a number 7 and fifth bowler. How was that ever going to work right? And even then, he did pretty good.

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
Brett Lee for all the Ashes, I know he was injured not axed but the series could've been different if Lee was fit.

King Cricket

International Coach
Balaji anyone? If not for that major injury the guy picked a couple of years back, he would have become one of our key pacers by now. Another name which pops up in my head is Irfan Pathan. Unlucky guy! Started his career in full throttle, but soon lost his focus and faded away thanks to Greg Chappell's "experiments".

Last edited:

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Subramanium Badrinath.

Proof? The current match, TN were 50/4 against a strong Mumbai bowling attack. Badri smashes 250, takes TN to 500+ and puts his team in control.

And yet we prefer this guy:

fail-yuvraj.jpg

Murali Kartik too, but i've long given up on that debate. :sarcasm

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
a whole bunch of West Indies fast bowlers during the 70s and 80s missed out because of the quality at that time. Would have walked into other teams during that time with ease.

Mercules

Club Cricketer
All the South Africans who could have been Test greats were it not for apartheid.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Brad Hodge
Chris Rodgers
Phil Jaques

Those three in recent times.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Bevan in Test, he was averaging over a 100 for a few seasons in FC but the selectors still ignored him.

P

pcfan123

Younus Khan in the upcoming PAK Aus series. Its suicide going there without him

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Subramaniam Badrinath is a perfect example. He has dominated in domestic cricket for quite a few years now and has performed consistently yet he hasn't been able to find his way into the test or ODI team. Looking at his stats he averages 56 in First class cricket and he just recently scored 250 against a strong Mumbai bowling attack when his team was down 4/50.

Shahriar Nafees from Bangladesh was a pretty good opening batsman, I remember he scored a century against Australia in a test match at the age of 20. Sadly he went the ICL way like many other Bangladeshi cricketers but apparently he might be back in the Bangladesh squad in 2010.

Others:
Irfan Pathan
Mohammad Kaif
Murali Kartik

Last edited:

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
The obvious one, Nathan Hauritz at the Oval.

And Jason Krejza/Beau Casson during the Border Gavaskar trophy in 2008. You need a front line spinner in India, and Cameron White was never gonna cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread