Story Titan Cup 1996: Reliving the exciting glory!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
South Africa on top - India 98/3

Symcox and Cronje tight things up for India!

India 98/3

M.Azharuddin 51*
R.Dravid 7*
NS Sidhu 19

Some fantastic and tight bowling from South Africa has greatly reduced the Indian run rate to less than 4 runs per over. India have struggled greatly betwen the 15th and the 25th over due to some really tight bowling by Cronje and Symcox. Both the off spinners bowled a very tight line and onto th stumps of the Indian batsmen. Sidhu and Azhar could not break free and had to be content picking up the quick singles. Sidhu got impatient and danced down the wicket off the bowling of Symcox only to mistime the ball for Cronje to take an easy catch at mid off.

siduout2gg.jpg

Azharuddin greatly slowed down after the 15th over as he got tied down by both Symcox and Cronje. But his running between the wickets was examplary as he along with Sidhu and now Dravid, kept getting those risky yet crucial singles that kept the scoreboard moving. Azhar reached a well deserved 50 with a fine flick off Cronje. His 50 came off 76 balls and contained 5 fours. He has been instrumental in keeping this Indian innings afloat among the tight and discplined bowling of the South Africans.

azhar506mg.jpg

India are now at 98/3 and at 3.98 runs per over. The next 25 overs shouldprove very crucial to their chances of building a sizeable total for the South Africans to chase. Anything under 225 would be an easy ask for the South Africans and India should try to set a total above 225 for having some chance of defending.

Scorecard at the 25 over mark!

25overmarkscorecrd7dp.jpg

MWaugh

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
saisrini80 said:
ha ha.. lets see who gets the most money MWaugh...

I am just loving to play these matches.. With the exact kits and the exact player rosters, it gives me the same feel of watching the original Titan Cup 1996. It was my first full ODI series that I watched. I was in Orissa, India then and lived in a government quarters (those who dont know what it is; its a housing colony of a particular company who hire workers and give them houses to stay!). After the India-Australia semifinal and India-South Africa final, we burst crackers in our colony to celebrate India's win. How amazing those days were?

if you all are enjoying this, first thank dazza for re-creating this titan cup.. the kits are utterly mind blowing.. hey siddarth, i think u have the power for putting the kits in the downloads section? why dont you do it? it would be great!!!

i couldnt agree more. (on the topic of these old style games, not so much about the crackers :P). thats what made me think of doing the frank worrell trophy, the only problem is that the test matches are still very boring and i cant seem to motivate myself to play the games. i just enjoy reporting them haha.

i love looking back at the old kits. especially the old australian ones that were mainly yellow. the games back then were so close and exciting (eg - bevan hitting holder over his head for 4 off the last ball to win the match) thats whats really exciting. todays cricket just seems to bore me to much now. you know whos going to win and whos going to make huge scores.

history6ml.jpg

here is a little look back at the great kits australia have worn in the one day game. with the 1993 (lightning bolts) 1994 (the same) - merv hughes shows the aus A one day strip and then the 1995 half yellow half green. it was a good era for watching

unfortunatly i have never seen any of the sub continent games appart from a few when australia played india and sri lanka. but yes this retro theme that has started (curtosy of ravi (crick4life)) is awesome.

as for who will take the money from the cronje and azharudin issue. well azharudin is now disgraced by many and alot of his achievements questioned, and cronje is dead... i think cricket won out in the end

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Mc Millan rips Indian batting order!

SA require 194 runs to win first ODI!

India 193 all out

M.Azharuddin 65
R.Dravid 38
B Mc Millan 5/39

In a stunning display of fast bowling, Brian Mc Millan has ripped through the Indian famed batting line up bowling them out for a paltry 193 runs. India cant just say where they went wrong as they were just blitzed by the storm called Mc Millan. Poor shot selection from the Indians also contributed to their downfall.

twowickets0ii.jpg

Azhar was the first to go, LBW trying to sweep a yorker length delivery on his stumps. Dravid and Jadeja put up some runs till Dravid too made the same mistake as the former captain Azhar and was again LBW to Mc Millan. Mongia was then bowled by Mc Millan when he tried to flick a straight ball down the leg side. Jadeja then tried to play the ball from Mc Millan on the backfoot but instead edged it for Richardson behind the wicket to pick an easy catch. Kumble then tried to play the ball to third man off Cronje but instead edged it back onto his stumps. Donald then finished off the innings by cleaning up the rest of the tail.

threewickets3qn.jpg

Brian Mc Millan was the chief destroyer of the Indian innings with 5 wickets for 39 runs. For India, Azharuddin top scored with 65 runs while Dravid scored 38 runs.

South Africa needs 194 runs to win this match. This should be an easy task for them considering their batting strength. Currently, South Africa are the favorites

indiascorecard0bm.jpg

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
South Africa blaze away to great start!

Kirsten rocks Pune! South Africa on verge of victory!

South Africa 92/2 - 15 overs

Gary Kirsten 54
Jonty Rhodes 15*

Kirsten has literally stormed Pune with a breathtaking display of brutal batting. Kirsten gave the innings a blazing start scoring 40 runs from 22 balls off Srinath, Prasad and Kumble. Srinath went for 17 runs in the first over where Kirsten smashed four fours in the over. Kumble was introduced as early as in the second over but the run flow could not be easily stopped. Hudson at the other end was circumspect and was out soon when he top edged a flighted leg break from Kumble for Ganguly to take a brilliant catch at leg slip.

Video of Hudson's wicket

Next to go was Cullinan. Cullinan who looked to open up, played a fatal shot when he skied Prasad into the hands of fine leg. It was a silly shot when he was starting to get well set. Prasad picked up Cullinan's wicket.

cullinanwicket2mo.jpg

Kirsten continued to blaze away to glory. He somewhat slowed down after the 9th over or so and continued to play slower than he played in the previous overs. Perhaps, reaching his first milestone of a 50 bogged him down. But dangerous signs for India. If they ought to try to win this match, they need wickets badly and immediately.

kirstenshot4oh.jpg

sohail

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
excellent story! looks like india will this one... also which umpire kit are you using?

jazz

Panel of Selectors
excellent start from the south africans i fancy them to win this

MWaugh

International Coach
south africa looking great here. my moneys on south africa and hansie from here

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
The Champ said:
looks like the real match sai, great match

thanks champ...i hope it is as close to the real matches that were played during that time in 1996..

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
South Africa romp home by 4 wickets!

SOUTH AFRICA WIN BY 4 WICKETS!

South Africa have won the first match of the Titan Cup ODI encounter against India at Pune by 3 wickets. The architects of this comprehensive win are Gary Kirsten who hit a fluent 77 and Brian Mc Millan who ripped the Indian batting order to take 5/39. India, who were well placed at a moment when they were 100/3, lost their way completely being bowled out for 193. South Africa then waltzed their way to the total though they had a late collapse but it didnt affect their victory ride.

South Africa are now leading the table with 4 points that they have got from this victory. Now they face Australia in the next game at the Eden Gardens, Calcutta. For India, their next game is against Australia at Bangalore which will be a Day/nighter.

Presentation Ceremony:

R.Shastri: We all have witnessed a comprehensive win here for South Africa against India in Pune for the first ODI of the Titan cup. Let me first call the Indian captain, Sachin Tendulkar. Sorry Sachin, disappointing defeat.

Sachin: Yes, we could have got a better score but Mc Millan ripped us through to bowl us out for 193. After that, we knew that we had little chance but still fought on. Luckily, we could get 6 wickets of the South Africans. We need to apply ourselves harder

R.Shastri: How was the wicket today Sachin?
Sachin: It had a lot of turn on it. Kumble could turn the ball by a mile. Symcox had good purchase on this wicket.

R.Shastri: Thanks Sachin. Now I would like to call upon Hansie Cronje to collect the winners cheque. (Cronje collects his cheque). Good win, Hansie

Hansie: Yes. It was a comfortable win for us. Mc Millan bowled wonderfully to get 5 wickets and Kirsten won us the match with his 77.

R.Shastri: You were seen very excited and active on the field?
Hansie: Yes, playing against India is always exciting. Our encounters with India have always been very exciting

R.Shastri: Thanks Hansie. Now for the Man of the match, well its a tough call. But the selection panel has decided to go with Brian Mc Millan. Congrats Mc Millan

(Mc Millan collects his award cheque!)

Mc Millan: Thanks Ravi. It was a very satisfying spell of bowling today. To bowl a match winning spell for the country is absolutely terrific!!

R.Shastri: Despite it being a spinner's paradise, you got 5 wickets. Any secrets?

Mc Millan: Nothing much. Just put the ball in the right areas and bowl to the batsmen's weaknesses. Also keep varying your pace at the right times.

R.Shastri: Thanks Brian. Thats all we have here from Pune. We'll meet you at the Eden Gardens for the next match between Australia and South Africa. Till then, its bye bye from ESPN Studios.

Last edited:

jazz

Panel of Selectors
india was always on the backfoot after they made a low score, good victory for south africa

Users who are viewing this thread