Tournment Ends

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This game might be abandoned in a few minutes. The pitch is dangerous for gameplay.

That ball from Sudeep Tyagi jumped and reared up while some of the other balls are not even bouncing above the shoes. I guess they should not play on these pitches at a time when players are falling right, left and centre due to injuries induced by a crowded international calendar. Delhi pitch is copping up big time criticism for sure....

Last edited:

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Sounds like a very poor and unsafe wicket, what's actually happened so far if anyone has the time to write a paragraph about it?

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
11.32The game has been called off.
11.30 The coaches are out. The players are all huddled. Now they are leaving the field, slowly.
11.20 The umpires meet to discuss the condition of the pitch. Too many deliveries have nearly knocked the batsman's' head off. I will say it again, its a poor pitch to play on. Sangakkara storms out and has words with Dhoni and the umpires. He does not look pleased. On replays, I see that the second that last ball spat up off a length Sangakkara and Jayawardene, sitting on the sidelines, waved at the batsmen. Now the match referee walks out. This is big. The pitch has been bad since the start, and it took this ball to draw a reaction. What about when Dilshan was hit? Dhoni is having a lot to say as well. Plenty of chat.

That is what Cricinfo says.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Sounds like a very poor and unsafe wicket, what's actually happened so far if anyone has the time to write a paragraph about it?

This pitch has had very unsafe levels of uneven bounce. Dilshan got hit by Nehra due to this uneven bounce, Jayasuriya got hit on his shoulder once due to it. One ball rears up so high that it beats the keeper and everyone, whereas one ball barely gets above the shoe level.

Right now, they are inspecting the pitch that is right next to the one where play started. But this pitch has even more grass on it than the one on which play started. I am guessing that for all practical purposes, this game IS ABANDONED!!! The last time this happened was again between India and Sri Lanka at Indore in 1997. This is really a shame on the part of Delhi cricket association not to test the pitch before they put it live for an international game.

Last edited:

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji

Its basically the uneven bounce.

First, Dilshan got git hard on his left-hand but continued playing after some physio's magic work. Later he missed a few and edged behind off Zaheer.

Then, Tyagi, the debutant got his first over and straight away got benefited by the nature of the pitch. He got one to hit Jayasurya's shoulder rising from the length. It was after a few deliveries which didn't even raise up to waist height from the same length.

Then, its only the uneven nature of the pitch which is bothering the Sri Lankan camp. Both Captain and vice-captain talked to the on-field umpire in between an over after one ball behaved abnormally and it resulted in match being called-off.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Match has not been called off. It has been temporarily abandoned at the moment. Some of the options that the commentators are talking about are shaving off the grass on the pitch, rolling it up and starting a new curtailed match all over again. But its not completely called off. I dont think they will play a new game tomorrow (I doubt if they have reserve days for this series, and especially after the series has already been decided).

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This pitch and ground does not deserve international cricket to be honest. Its the ugliest ground out there in the country, an absolute disgrace of a stadium. I don`t even think they deserve World Cup games. We have absolutely great ground like the DY Patil stadium in Navi Mumbai but political influence makes sure this ground keeps getting games. They hosted Australia on a pathetic pitch as well and got an Australia test match last year as well.
Grounds like The Eden Gardens, DY Patil Stadium and Chennai don`t get enough games but Delhi, Nagpur and Mohali keep getting matches. I`d be pleased if this gets called off to be honest.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Ok, Cricinfo got a little excited as game has NOT been called off officially YET.

Here is what cricinfo states:

11.38 Alan Hurst, the match referee, and the umpires walk off. Plenty of DDCA and match officials standing on the sidelines. The players are inside.
11.35 Sorry for the confusion. We heard from the ground scorer that it was called off. That has not been confirmed, however. The DDCA officials, the umpires, the curator and the match referee are inspecting the two pitches. The crowd is very restless. Some section are chanting irate slogans.

In my view, it should NOT be a big deal as pitch WILL eventually ease out. Just need another 45~50 minutes. But I'm not the one playing out there and hence have no idea as to how serious it is.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
This pitch has had very unsafe levels of uneven bounce. Dilshan got hit by Nehra due to this uneven bounce, Jayasuriya got hit on his shoulder once due to it. One ball rears up so high that it beats the keeper and everyone, whereas one ball barely gets above the shoe level.

Right now, they are inspecting the pitch that is right next to the one where play started. But this pitch has even more grass on it than the one on which play started. I am guessing that for all practical purposes, this game IS ABANDONED!!! The last time this happened was again between India and Sri Lanka at Indore in 1997. This is really a shame on the part of Delhi cricket association not to test the pitch before they put it live for an international game.

Its basically the uneven bounce.

First, Dilshan got git hard on his left-hand but continued playing after some physio's magic work. Later he missed a few and edged behind off Zaheer.

Then, Tyagi, the debutant got his first over and straight away got benefited by the nature of the pitch. He got one to hit Jayasurya's shoulder rising from the length. It was after a few deliveries which didn't even raise up to waist height from the same length.

Then, its only the uneven nature of the pitch which is bothering the Sri Lankan camp. Both Captain and vice-captain talked to the on-field umpire in between an over after one ball behaved abnormally and it resulted in match being called-off.

Cheers fellas :)

Gurjot95

National Board President
That is what Cricinfo says.
11.35 Sorry for the confusion. We heard from the ground scorer that it was called off. That has not been confirmed, however. The DDCA officials, the umpires, the curator and the match referee are inspecting the two pitches. The crowd is very restless. Some section are chanting irate slogans.
This is now what it says.
This match should be called off imo.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Grounds like The Eden Gardens, DY Patil Stadium and Chennai don`t get enough games but Delhi, Nagpur and Mohali keep getting matches. I`d be pleased if this gets called off to be honest.

Very well said. Certain associations have got good hold within the BCCI office and so their cities enjoy more games than many others. Especially Kolkatta and Chennai have been hard done by in recent times as far as scheduling games are concerned (for Chennai, they will always schedule a game during the rainy season when it absolutely downpours in Chennai)

SaiSrini added 2 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

Ok, Cricinfo got a little excited as game has NOT been called off officially YET.

Here is what cricinfo states:

In my view, it should NOT be a big deal as pitch WILL eventually ease out. Just need another 45~50 minutes. But I'm not the one playing out there and hence have no idea as to how serious it is.

For it to ease, you have got to play on it. And playing on it at its current nature is dangerous as deemed by the players out there. Its just not about the moisture that eases out with the sun coming. Its about the winter grass that has been grown on the pitch in order to make it more harder and better than recent Delhi pitches. Its an experiment that has failed spectacularly because its being trialled directly in an international match.

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Its actually funny when you think about it that BCCI is the riches board and can afford almost ANY groundsman and ANY facility around the world. Still, all we get are either flat pitches or these horrific ones. It is really difficult to get proper cricket matches in India these days.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
I think Pushpakumara got one delivery from Tyagi that went past his nose and Dilshan was in deep pain when he was hit on his arm so I think those are enough reasons for this game to be called off.

Imagine Kemar Roach bowling in this pitch :p

KBC

Panel of Selectors
I think Pushpakumara got one delivery from Tyagi that went past his nose and Dilshan was in deep pain when he was hit on his arm so I think those are enough reasons for this game to be called off.

Imagine Kemar Roach bowling in this pitch :p

I'd imagine the pitch'd be a platform to rocket the ball off to the moon. :p

The meteor from earth.

Users who are viewing this thread