What's the story behind dbc14/17 ashes fast bowling animation?

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
I don't want the bowler to jump when I say jump especially if it's gonna look clunky however the in the background it would register the input and the output would be the bowl pitching on the trough. Sounds simple to me.

So you want the animation to be something completely different to your input.

And that’s why you’re not the game developer

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
So you want the animation to be something completely different to your input.

And that’s why you’re not the game developer
Yes I want the animation to be canned with the user input calculation running on the background.

And that's all the previous cricket game developers used this technique.

AnkitC

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I have actually shown videos of Big Ant games to my friends and other cricket fanatics around me. Every single one of them right away pick on the animations and seem to lose interest because the game just doesn't look right. In fact if you read a lot of youtube comments, they also criticize the animations. It can have a good AI and tons of other features, but bowling/batting animations are not first world problems. They are core features of a cricket game. With the latest iteration I do want to give credit where it is due, the batting animations have improved a lot but the bowling leaves a lot to be desired.

My point still stands. They had limited resources and unlimited problems. So they decided to solve the problems which they felt are more important compared to others.

It’s their Game. It’s their decision.

We may or may not agree with them. For example I agree with their choices so I’ll buy it.

Your friends do not currently agree and can hence wait for the next iteration.

Reactions: DAP

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Yes I want the animation to be canned with the user input calculation running on the background.

And that's all the previous cricket game developers used this technique.

Because those games used a predetermined bowling marker to decide on line and length. Not user inputs. My goodness.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
The bowler should run in and complete his animation while the user input running in the background effecting the final outcome of the delivery.[DOUBLEPOST=1510606426][/DOUBLEPOST]
Because those games used a predetermined bowling marker to decide on line and length. Not user inputs. My goodness.
Already answered above hopefully now you will understand what I am trying to say

D

Deleted member 185125

@SnowyCasanova . Wanted to know your opinion, if there is a reason behind not adding more variation to the bowling types.3 is good but not much of a difference between them. I definitely don't understand development process cycle. Maybe you help me in some layman's terms.

And somebody for heaven's sake, please fix the thread title. It's definitely is disrespectful to call it a joke.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
The bowler should run in and complete his animation while the user input running in the background effecting the final outcome of the delivery.[DOUBLEPOST=1510606426][/DOUBLEPOST]
Already answered above

So to be perfectly clear, you’re proposing a bowling system where the bowler could in theory, appear to jump 2 or 3 seconds before or after you have initiated the input. So the visual feedback of the bowling action is completely misaligned to the user input. Correct?

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
I will wait for more gameplay videos and see, I probably will purchase it and it will be my first cricket game purchase in over a decade. Not sure yet though.

So you never played either DBC14/DBC17. Enough is enough you are a waste of time. Go play 15 year old games then mate.

Exactly, and this is my point. Bowling action is extremely repetitive, it is just a repetitive animation and one which you cannot even control for the most part. How hard is it to implement a nice repetitive uncontrollable animation? The default action is terrible, it looks clunky and amateurish, as if the bowler is some novice attempting to learn bowling for the first time. I posted a video before from 99 which has a more professional looking bowling action, that is telling.

The reason I insist upon this is that this small change could make a big impact on the overall game.

I want I want old game with new graphics as simple as that. Good luck.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
@SnowyCasanova . Wanted to know your opinion, if there is a reason behind not adding more variation to the bowling types.3 is good but not much of a difference between them. I definitely don't understand development process cycle. Maybe you help me in some layman's terms.

And somebody for heaven's sake, please fix the thread title. It's definitely is disrespectful to call it a joke.

Unlike others, I won’t assume what could/couldn’t have been done. Saying they couldn’t have added more actions is as misinformed as saying they couldn’t have.

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
My point still stands. They had limited resources and unlimited problems. So they decided to solve the problems which they felt are more important compared to others.

It’s their Game. It’s their decision.

We may or may not agree with them. For example I agree with their choices so I’ll buy it.

Your friends do not currently agree and can hence wait for the next iteration.

He has never played a Bigant cricket game. It's like saying I hate that movie but never watching it but saw the trailer.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
Basically the the jump and release animation can be used to input the perfect jump and release output so you have to time RS flick when the bowler is just about to jump and then when he is just about to release the bowl. If your timing is not 100% the bowler will still complete his animation but the output will be based on how much your timing is off.

D

Deleted member 185125

Basically the the jump and release animation can be used to input the perfect jump and release output so you have to time RS flick when the bowler is just about to jump and then when he is just about to release the bowl. If your timing is not 100% the bowler will still complete his animation but the output will be based on how much your timing is off.
Wait a minute, are you saying that the animation should look different based on your input or Different bowlers should have different actions.
Or something different altogether? I'm confused.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia

So a system where the animation does not reflect user input. And now we’ve regressed back to old cricket games. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread