World Test Team

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
How the hell is Sehwag a fat track bully, he has scored heavily on some of the toughest pitches, absolute minefields, against the worlds best and most mysterious spinners.

I think the reason for me is that there is such a huge difference between Sehwag's performances in the 1st/2nd innings vs his performances in the 3rd/4th innings. I've made the argument in another thread - the All Time XI thread I think. But having an average of 70 in the 1st/2nd innings and an average of 30 in the 3rd/4th gives a lot of credence to the flat track bully theory. Where are his fighting centuries in bad conditions??

And, answering my own question...I can think of the 100 on debut v SA in 2001 when they got sent in at Bloemfontein. Sehwag batted #6 and put on a double hundred partnership with Sachin that got India out of trouble. The other would be the 151 v Aus in Adelaide '08 to stop an India collapse. That's the ONLY century he's ever scored in the 3rd/4th innings of a match - an incredible stat.

So to me it's pretty obvious why he'd be accused of being a FTB. Doesn't mean he's a bad player by any means, in fact right now I think there's no other guy I'd rather at the crease in good batting conditions.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Heres a team from all the players that I have met:

1. Sunil Gavaskar (Mumbai)
2. Virender Sehwag (WI)
3. Rahul Dravid (WI)
4. Sachin Tendulkar (Aus/WI)
5. Greg Chappell (WI)
6. Kumar Sangakkara(wk) (WI)
7. Kapil Dev (AUS)
8. Brett Lee (AUS)
9. Anil Kumble (WI)
10. Muttiah Muralitharan (WI)
11. Glenn McGrath (AUS)

:O Not bad eh? Still got the likes of Jayawerdene, Maligna, Dhoni, Venkatraghvan, Harbhajan, Ganguly, etc in the squad :p

Lee used to go running in our neighborhood in Sydney. That was cool :)

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
no ones posted here in a while and alot has changed. since im new i thought i'd contribute to who i think should be in the current world test XI:

1. Cook
2. Amla
3. Gambhir
4. Tendulkar
5. Kallis
6. AB
7. Sanga Wk & C
8. Swann
9. Z Khan
10. Anderson
11. Steyn

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Amla is not an opener in tests, Gambhir is not a #3 batsman in tests,and Sanga no longer keeps in tests.

Alastair Cook
Shane Watson
Hashim Amla
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
AB De Villiers
+ Brad Haddin
Graeme Swann
Zaheer Khan
Dale Steyn
James Anderson

Extra Batsman: Michael Hussey/Kumar Sangakkara
Extra Bowler: Morne Morkel
Extra Keeper: Matt Prior

Brad Haddin could also be switched with Matt Prior, however Haddin had a better Ashes. Sanga has been brilliant for quite some time now and was in great form vs West Indies at home. However, I think Amla has played more test cricket over the past 1-2 year so I have more to go off.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Smith
Sehwag/Watson
Amla
Tendulkar
Kallis
Sangakkara
Vettori/Shakib
Swann
Steyn
Khan
Morkel

12th man: Pietersen

Sehwag/Watson - Most know my position on Sehwag here with regards to his weakness against quality bowling. He has already failed the test in South Africa & further failures this year against other quality attacks in England & AUS (maybe windies if they have Taylor/Edwards are fit) would sink his reputation for good.

But if he conquers those conditions he would rise up. So although i reckon Watson is perfect technical opener i cant pick him over Viru yet in current world test XI to open.

Vettori/Shakib - I personally think if these two are relieved of captaincy as the case is when they play for NZ & BANG & are allowed to just focus on their roles as players. They can bat @ # 7 easily & thus would give this world XI great bowling options. I just cant decide which one to pick.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
i have amla in as opener cos he can slot right in. as can gambhir in at 3. and i completely forgot about sanga. so... i'll still keep sanga in. this is meant to be a dream team.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
MY current World Test Team

1.Alistar Cook
2.Shane Watson
3.Ricky Ponting
4.Hashim Amla
5.Jacques Kallis
6.MS Dhoni
7.Greame Swann
8.Dale Steyn
9.Zaheer Khan
10.Mitch Jhonson
11.Morkel

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
It is virtually impossible for me to choose this middle order as there are so many good middle order batsmen out there at the moment.

Alastair Cook
Shane Watson
Rahul Dravid/ Hashim Amla/ Jonathan Trott/ Jacques Kallis/ Kumar Sangakkara (take your pick)
AB De Villiers / Kevin Pietersen (leaning towards AB because he's been consistent over a longer period of time and KP is just finding his magic touch again now)
Ian Bell
Matt Prior
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Zaheer Khan
Dale Steyn
James Anderson

I think it's pretty amazing that England have Cook, Trott, KP, Bell, Prior, Swann, Broad and Anderson in there. That's 8 players! That is absolutely astounding.

Last edited:

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
World XI

Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Bell
Matt Prior
Tim Bresnan
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
James Anderson
Chris Tremlett

:p

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I'm not sure KP and Broad make a World XI. Broad was on the verge of being dropped before the current series - surely 3 good Tests can't get you into a World XI can it? KP has been blowing mostly cold since about 2008, even in Australia last Ashes it was a big double and not much else. He's been decent this season, but then again so have heaps of other middle order batsmen. Needs more sustained form before he gets near a world XI IMHO.

Whoops forgot to add mine, I'd have:
Cook
Watson
Trott
Kallis
Tendulkar/De Villiers
Bell
Prior
Swann
Zaheer
Steyn
Anderson

Yeah so only 6 Poms...

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I'm not sure KP and Broad make a World XI. Broad was on the verge of being dropped before the current series - surely 3 good Tests can't get you into a World XI can it? KP has been blowing mostly cold since about 2008, even in Australia last Ashes it was a big double and not much else. He's been decent this season, but then again so have heaps of other middle order batsmen. Needs more sustained form before he gets near a world XI IMHO.

Fair enough, but it was an impulsive decision, not one based on strict logic and reason. I've seen enough in this series to be convinced by his ability as a bowling all rounder and I think he can keep it up. Of course, I can be proven wrong but for the time being, if I were to choose the best XI today, he would be in it.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Yes if I was choosing a world test XI to play tomorrow I would have Broad too. And I would nearly always have KP.

so:
Cook
Watson
Amla
KP
AB
Bell
prior WK
Broad
Swann
Steyn
Anderson

----------

pretty different from the team I picked 4 months ago. No Indians this time and no Sri Lankans either. 7 Englishmen in the side is a great achievement.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Smith/Cook
Watson
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Pietersen
Prior
Vettori
Steyn
Morkel
Khan

12/13/14th man: Swann, Anderson, De Villiers

Smith/Cook: Although Cook is in unbelievable form, its only been 11 test dating back to the Brisbane Ashes test. I am always one to pick these kind of world XIs on the back of the premise that "form is temporary and class is permanent.

Cook may very well go on to be one the great openers. But Smith has been established as one of the best test openers for a good number of years now and he has been struggling up until the last time S Africa played tests in January 2010.

Also i know most would pick Swann as the main spinner in a world XI these days. But i think Vettori superior all-rounder strength gives him a slight nod for me.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Smith
Watson
Amla
Kallis
Tendulkar
Sangakkara
Matt Prior/Brad Haddin
Vettori/Swann
Steyn
Morkel