Xbox One or PS4?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'm considering buying a used/pre owned xbox one or PS4 console just so that I can play Ashes Cricket. Does the game play any 'better' on a particular console?

If you are planning to purchase a console only for Ashes Cricket my recommendation is don't. The game's not that big a step up from DBC 17 to warrant spending that kind of money on it in its current form.

But if you still want to go ahead then other factors to consider are whether you intend to play online or mostly focus on offline. If you don't care about online at all then pick either console but if online is your thing then go with the console majority of your friends have. I prefer PS4 as there are more users on it and tend to get more players online compared to Xbox.

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
If you are planning to purchase a console only for Ashes Cricket my recommendation is don't. The game's not that big a step up from DBC 17 to warrant spending that kind of money on it in its current form.

But if you still want to go ahead then other factors to consider are whether you intend to play online or mostly focus on offline. If you don't care about online at all then pick either console but if online is your thing then go with the console majority of your friends have. I prefer PS4 as there are more users on it and tend to get more players online compared to Xbox.

Thanks for answering. I'm still playing games on the Xbox 360. I still enjoy playing DB14 on the 360.....but Ashes Cricket looks even better on tube videos that i've watched.....especially the gameplay......batting in particular. Is 'next generation' Ashes Cricket a step up from 360 Don Bradman 14?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Thanks for answering. I'm still playing games on the Xbox 360. I still enjoy playing DB14 on the 360.....but Ashes Cricket looks even better on tube videos that i've watched.....especially the gameplay......batting in particular. Is 'next generation' Ashes Cricket a step up from 360 Don Bradman 14?

It's a step up from DBC 14 in some cases, especially graphics and fluid batting animations. But I'm not sure I would spend money to purchase a new console to play only Ashes Cricket. However if you are in the market for a new console anyway and would purchase it sooner than later then go for Ashes Cricket.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
PS4 is more powerful slightly so technically (in theory) it should run better. Besides that, it's basically personal preference or what your friends have as others have suggested. Xbox will probably be cheaper with people upgrading to the X.

Other considerations are cost of PS plus or Xbox Live Gold, other games (baseball only on PS), Forza vs Gran Turismo, etc

Good luck!

TerryAlderman

Club Captain
PS4 is more powerful slightly so technically (in theory) it should run better. Besides that, it's basically personal preference or what your friends have as others have suggested. Xbox will probably be cheaper with people upgrading to the X.

Other considerations are cost of PS plus or Xbox Live Gold, other games (baseball only on PS), Forza vs Gran Turismo, etc

Good luck!

Thanks....I didn't realise that there isn't a baseball game for the Xbox one. And I'm thinking on the lines that I would be getting the sports games if I got an Xbox one/PS4.
I've been looking at the Metacritic review site.....and they (I realise that they are only one of many review sites..I'm still looking around) score DBC17 higher than Ashes Cricket on both consoles. No big deal to me as I would probably get both games.

D

Deleted member 46200

Thanks....I didn't realise that there isn't a baseball game for the Xbox one. And I'm thinking on the lines that I would be getting the sports games if I got an Xbox one/PS4.
I've been looking at the Metacritic review site.....and they (I realise that they are only one of many review sites..I'm still looking around) score DBC17 higher than Ashes Cricket on both consoles. No big deal to me as I would probably get both games.
PS4 all the way for sport games and MLB the show is a great game.

A55MAN

School Cricketer
PS4 personally. But not just for one game. However if you are looking at getting a next gen anyway then PS4. Wouldn't bother with a PS4 pro considering I can see the PS5 coming out mid to late next year if history is to go by.

D

Deleted member 46200

I'm playing Major League Baseball 2K11 on my 360. It's a great game even for 360 standards. You've got me itching to check out some MLB The Show vids on the Tube.
If you do that... You'll be buying the PS4 and the game it is very good but you are correct the 2K games are still decent but alas... Have a look.

A55MAN

School Cricketer
PS5?........How much better can video game consoles get I ask myself.

Who knows.
One day I think we will literally be in the game full on.
They are heading that way with virtual reality.
The question isn't how far we can go, it's how far we should go.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
PS4 personally. But not just for one game. However if you are looking at getting a next gen anyway then PS4. Wouldn't bother with a PS4 pro considering I can see the PS5 coming out mid to late next year if history is to go by.
Yes most industry figures are guessing later 2019 or mid 2020. Although hardware development has slowed down a bit lately so it may buck the trend and be even later unless a suitably cheap platform is developed/revised soon.

One thing for sure, next gen has to be about CPU and not just pushing more graphical fidelity. 4k won't mean jack if games are still CPU bound and no meaningful AI simulation occurs, complex physics calcs, etc.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Yes most industry figures are guessing later 2019 or mid 2020. Although hardware development has slowed down a bit lately so it may buck the trend and be even later unless a suitably cheap platform is developed/revised soon.

One thing for sure, next gen has to be about CPU and not just pushing more graphical fidelity. 4k won't mean jack if games are still CPU bound and no meaningful AI simulation occurs, complex physics calcs, etc.

I would be very surprised if Sony don't push out another version of PS4 - say "PS4 Pro Plus" - to compete with Xbox One X. One X is so much powerful that it's not even a discussion and folks will start gravitating towards MS and I doubt Sony will sit back and let MS take the lead. I highly doubt Sony will sit tight and wait till 2019 or 2020 in this console arms race. The competitive advantage they risk losing is simply too much IMO.

Nathaus

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I would be very surprised if Sony don't push out another version of PS4 - say "PS4 Pro Plus" - to compete with Xbox One X. One X is so much powerful that it's not even a discussion and folks will start gravitating towards MS and I doubt Sony will sit back and let MS take the lead. I highly doubt Sony will sit tight and wait till 2019 or 2020 in this console arms race. The competitive advantage they risk losing is simply too much IMO.
It will be interesting to see what happens. I just think if they go too soon as they did with PS3 they will lose the momentum. They still have something like a 2:1 install base over Xbox. A lot of people who will buy an X will have done so straight away. Those undecided will probably wait until E3 this year awaiting an announcement by Sony. It's a very strategic game of chess at the moment. MS have finally caught up but they don't have the game library yet. Sony risk losing developers to MS with the superior specs now though, as can already be seen a lot of developers are favouring the X over the he Pro. They need to find the right architecture though, otherwise it will be underpowered for next gen. Or over engineer and take a big loss on hardware for the first 2 years and hope to make it up on software and mid-gen refresh.

Users who are viewing this thread