Xbox One or PS4?

A55MAN

School Cricketer
My guess is mid 2019. PS5.
I don't think something like PS4 pro plus would be able to match the new XBOX because people will still see the 4 and not the 5 and think oh it's just a new PS4.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
It will be interesting to see what happens. I just think if they go too soon as they did with PS3 they will lose the momentum. They still have something like a 2:1 install base over Xbox. A lot of people who will buy an X will have done so straight away. Those undecided will probably wait until E3 this year awaiting an announcement by Sony. It's a very strategic game of chess at the moment. MS have finally caught up but they don't have the game library yet. Sony risk losing developers to MS with the superior specs now though, as can already be seen a lot of developers are favouring the X over the he Pro. They need to find the right architecture though, otherwise it will be underpowered for next gen. Or over engineer and take a big loss on hardware for the first 2 years and hope to make it up on software and mid-gen refresh.

And that's why I think they will rather push out the release of next iteration of PS (PS5) and come out with an intermediate console (say PS4 Pro Plus) which competes with One X in terms of performance and console power and is backwards compatible with PS4 so the same games will play on all the PS4 variants, i.e. PS4, PS4 Pro & PS4 Pro Plus. Sony is in a delicate situation - move on to the next gen too early and they risk the wrath of their user base and if they don't do anything they risk losing a lot of their users to One X simply coz it's way too powerful than PS4 Pro. That's why I'm leaning towards a "walking the line" or an intermediate/hybrid solution where Sony ups the hardware but at the same time is still on the same console gen (i.e. not PS5).

USA

County Cricketer
@OP, I know you are looking for a PS4 or Xbox One. But, just as a food for thought....

I play Ashes Cricket on Xbox One X, with 4k TV and HDR turned on. It's amazing, especially playing in licensed stadiums. Its very smooth due to superior hardware, and the graphics are excellent.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Xbox One X? Is that a new console....or an upgraded Xbox One?

It's the latest one Microsoft released end of last year. But it's quite expensive and if you are planning to pick up a console for playing only one game I surely wouldn't go for it.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
One Xbox One console and Ashes Cricket game are winging their way to me courtesy of an online auction site. I hope to be batting and bowling this time next week.

Have a fun time! :thumbs

jtaylor1409

Club Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
One Xbox One console and Ashes Cricket game are winging their way to me courtesy of an online auction site. I hope to be batting and bowling this time next week.
I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with it, I'm very much enjoying it on the Xbox to date.

Users who are viewing this thread