3d models for TAOC

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The Geddes Grant Stand at the Queen's Park Oval in Trinidad.

A snip at 303 triangles.

Holy moly, brilliant stuff, Tom :hpraise

Dare i say it's 'too good'? lol...seriously tho, brilliant stuff...cant wait to see the rest of the stad! Seems like you got the texturing down pat!

Also, dont know about Maya, but MAX has a 'texture baking' feature - are you able to bake the lighting/shadows into the texture?

cheers,

LM

appu2146

Associate Cricketer
lazy_chesnut :The Geddes Grant Stand at the Queen's Park Oval in Trinidad.
A snip at 303 triangles.

Looks great, brilliant texturing mate. This preview makes me think that i need to work hard on the johnersberg model mate.
(And one small request can some one post the good images of the johnersberg stadium i searched but got only low quality).

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
brilliant stuff there !! :clap

just one crit....why is the render blurry ?? :confused:

The blurriness you're talking about, do you mean the background? If so, it's because the background is something I painted really quickly in Photoshop, and the model had to be extracted from the blank background it was on so there's a lack of sharpness at the edges.

If you're saying that the model itself is blurry, it may be something to do with the texture filtering mental ray employs. I'm not a mental ray expert so I'm not really sure how to stop it!

Thanks to everyone who said it looked good.

LM, yes Maya has texture baking and that's what I'm planning on doing. Though the way I light it depends on your graphics engine, funnily enough. If it will have self-casting shadows from the sun, I will remove my directional light and just have the soft lighting from the sky (like an overcast day), but if your engine does not cast shadows, I will bake in the sun shadows.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
The blurriness you're talking about, do you mean the background? If so, it's because the background is something I painted really quickly in Photoshop, and the model had to be extracted from the blank background it was on so there's a lack of sharpness at the edges.

If you're saying that the model itself is blurry, it may be something to do with the texture filtering mental ray employs. I'm not a mental ray expert so I'm not really sure how to stop it!

Thanks to everyone who said it looked good.

LM, yes Maya has texture baking and that's what I'm planning on doing. Though the way I light it depends on your graphics engine, funnily enough. If it will have self-casting shadows from the sun, I will remove my directional light and just have the soft lighting from the sky (like an overcast day), but if your engine does not cast shadows, I will bake in the sun shadows.

PM'd you about this

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
No not for the moment anyway. In any case it wouldn't be 3 models, just 3 sets of textures.

The way you do this is to simply make your textures "flat" as though they have no lighting on them - except if you are using a texture to simulate a shaped surface (like putting 'ridges' in a tin roof) - and then set up the lighting in your scene to simulate the real world. Then you can do what's called 'baking' and apply the lighting effects to the texture, so then you can just ambiently light the scene (like it will be in the game) and it will look like it has all the real lighting effects.

To do this for 3 sessions (morning, afternoon, evening) you would need to change your lighting and bake out three different sets of textures.

I'm not sure where this would leave the central grass texture though, as shadows from the stands might come over the outfield. Another one for Paul to ponder if he hasn't already!

Tanmay

Club Captain
Forgot to post about the excellent work by lazy:hpraise:hpraise

From expert comment from lazy and also tips from kartik i re made a stand for colombo stadium,i paid attentions to detail.Comments expected especially from LM,LC, and JK

152i6bs.jpg

2d9pcoz.jpg

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
That looks way better. I would just check something though: The front edges of each tier seem to be smoothed off, which introduces a load of polygons for not much aesthetic gain.

Also, if you are short of source images to work from, I would suggest just looking at any stadium, and seeing the details you get, like railings, etc. and adding them to your model. It will just make it look more like an actual real stadium, even though it may not be exactly the same as Colombo.

Tanmay

Club Captain
That looks way better. I would just check something though: The front edges of each tier seem to be smoothed off, which introduces a load of polygons for not much aesthetic gain.

Didnt understand what you ment by that:noway

Yeah adding railings is not done yet,will do that today.
Thanks for the comments LC.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Didnt understand what you ment by that:noway

If you look at the top of the roof, as it goes into the front of the roof, the edge is very crisp and sharp. On the middle tier, however, the edges along the front (where the adboards might be) the edge looks a little softer, which looks like it may be due to the use of a smooth modifier or something. This can create unnecessary polygons, as a sharp edge will actually look fine.

I may be wrong and it could just be the way the normals are set up or something. It does look a lot better than before though.

Tanmay

Club Captain
If you look at the top of the roof, as it goes into the front of the roof, the edge is very crisp and sharp. On the middle tier, however, the edges along the front (where the adboards might be) the edge looks a little softer, which looks like it may be due to the use of a smooth modifier or something. This can create unnecessary polygons, as a sharp edge will actually look fine.

I may be wrong and it could just be the way the normals are set up or something. It does look a lot better than before though.

OK got it,the answer is that i have cloned the stand and then joined them together due to this the edges are smooth(no smooth modifier applied).
and about the polygons there might be excess there in that region but overall poly count is only 2,900 approx

MS Dhoni

School Cricketer
I am re-editing my Feroz Shah Kotla stadium since Lazy is not satisfied with the old one i made. This time, i have added in a bigger stand without gaps as Lazy wanted. Ill post the preview soon. For some reason, my maya is going slow. I click on any face and it takes 2 minutes to unfreeze. The poly cause is giving me weird number. yesterday, it was 8765 and not its telling me it is 112345.

Users who are viewing this thread