Group B - 9th Match Netherslands v Pakistan

England are through. Their NRR is superb.I was shocked to see Pak loitering at -2.4 !
Come on,even if they beat The Netherlands,they are not assured of a spot in the S8.
For that,they need to beat The Dutch really badly.

Secondly- this may offend a few Pakistani members,but I have to say this

Is your captain DUMB ?

Cricinfo said:
"It won't be a disaster even if we exit before the Super Eights," said Younis. "It would be sad if we don't make it, but I have never attached too much importance to Twenty20 cricket, as it is fun cricket. I mean it is more for entertainment, even if it is international cricket. It is all for the crowd. Twenty20 is all about fun. Everybody expects players to come out and entertain."

Check this here.

NRR is the difference between your run rate and the run rate of your opposition.

Netherlands: FOR=163/20, AGAINST=162/20
Pakistan: FOR=137/20, AGAINST=185/20

If you're bowled out, the full allotment of 20 overs is used for calculating your run rate.

The Netherlands run rate is essentially 0 at the moment, whereas Pakistan have to make up a deficit of almost 2 and a half runs.

If Pakistan bat first, they need to win by at least 25 runs.
If Netherlands bats first, and
- they score 100, Pakistan must chase it down in 16.3 overs
- they score 150, Pakistan must chase it down in 17.0 overs
- they score 175, Pakistan must chase it down in 17.1 overs
- they score 200, Pakistan must chase it down in 17.2 overs

So Pakistan basically needs to chase their target down in around 16-17 overs... which they would back themselves to do against the Netherlands. I think Pakistan would rather bowl first, in that case.

Younus is being stupid there, after what the Pakistan fans have been through over the last few years they should be doing all they can to win this tournament.

NRR is just like goal difference. If England had a run rate of 7.81 for example, and Pakistan a run rate of 6.30, the NRR for England would be +1.51, and for Pakistan -1.51. It is simple really.

That was a great game last night (from England's point of view). :happy

That's a keeper for our Sky Plus Box. :cool:

I wouldn't read to much into it tbh, Pakistan were terrible.

So we're a crap side when we lose to Netherlands, but when we're beating the West Indies and Pakistan it's because they were terrible. I never understand why people find it so hard to praise England. We performed bloody well last night. Sure Pakistan weren't as good as they could have been, but was that because they're terrible, or because England put them under pressure and forced mistakes?

I am very happy to see Enlgand go through the Super 8 stage of the tournament. Lets hope, Pakistan wins too and we see both the test playing teams in Super 8.

Pakistan's fielding was poor and some of the bowling was crap. England aren't a bad team but I wouldn't read to much into one game. Let's see them when a few games before we start hyping them up again.

Who was hyping them up? All the English fans are still firmly of the belief that we'll go out in the Super 8's, with India and South Africa going through to the Semi's from our group.

Hype was probaly the wrong word to use. But I'll stand by what I said earlier that Pakistan played poorly. There fielding, bowling, and batting looked well below par.

Hey but I guess Foster proved me wrong yesterday, he did alright with the bat.

England are gash but there's nothing wrong with believing we can win. It's called support.

It's like i'm using the Indian ethic of "OMFG WE R DA BESTEST EVA!!1!"

As I expected him to. Fos is a very, very talented T20 player. He's not as explosive a batsman as some, but he's more than capable of scoring a few quick runs at the end. His Wicket-keeping is what sets him miles above most in England though, there simply isn't anyone better. Chris Read is close, but I'd say Foster's been better than him in the last couple of years. Definitely the right man for the job in T20's, though I would stick with Prior in ODi's and Tests. Saying that though, Prior could play as an out and out batsman in the Test side, with Fos taking the gloves. Wouldn't be the worst thing.

Sure Pakistan weren't as good as they could have been, but was that because they're terrible, or because England put them under pressure and forced mistakes?
They've been terrible throughout the warm-ups and even in the tournament main (Pakistan). They got destroyed by South Africa, couldn't defend a solid target against India, and lacked any sort of batting rhythm to chase a large target against England. England are a bit inconsistent at the moment, but they will find their feet soon, especially since they're playing in home conditions. Pakistan just have a very inexperienced and unprepared side, at the moment, and I could even see the Netherlands beating them if they go in with the same attitude that Younus Khan exhibited at that interview.

Users who are viewing this thread