Group D - 10th Match NZ v SA

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
As far as i'm concerned we would have tied/won that game. Asad Rauf didn't call that blatant leg-side wide in the 17th over. I'm really getting sick of how utterly useless he is. If that wasn't a leg-side wide I don't know what is, because it was miles away from the stumps/Styris.

We should have got the target in 15 overs easily, I don't know why we stopped playing shots, that's always what happens you you go negative. Taylor injured himself and ever since looked horrible.

It's a dead-rubber and i'm not reading much into it. What I am reading into is the fact that we have so many injuries

Ryder is probably out of the tournament
Vettori hasn't played yet
Franklin is injured, no idea how
Butler has an injury i've heard.
Mills looked like he got injured again.
Ross Taylor hasdone his hamstring

I think without all these players we have no chance. They're our core really. All we need now is McCullum to get injured.

Oh and Diremanti was dreadful and needs to be sacked. He bowls pies. 120km slow long hops. On a decent pitch he'll get hammered.

Last edited:

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Oram isn't the player he used to be. Normally he hit sixes, but he could only get couples in the last over.

I would say Parnell is the weakest link of South African bowling. Someone else should come in his place, like Morne Morkel.

Ari

International Cricketer
We are more dangerous when the score is 150+ SA didn't get enough runs. :(

nz0003

International Cricketer
AWTA, and Mills should of come in ahead of Oram.

How good did Ian Butler bowl, he was a class above all our other bowlers.

Taylor should of retired hurt when he had the chance, it was only gona get worse by trying to slog sweep everything.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Actually it seems he wanted to go off, but McCullum asked him to stay.

New Zealand fret over injury list
Andrew McGlashan at Lord's
June 9, 2009

When Taylor pulled up with his injury he was prepared to limp off before the TV replay showed he was in by a couple of inches. He stayed in the middle at the behest of his captain, but McCullum said he was confident the extended innings wouldn't have exacerbated the problem.

"It was my decision actually. A guy like that is capable of hitting the ball at 80% and getting it out of the park," he said. "I wasn't asking him to run too much, it was just a matter of swinging from the hip and if he'd managed to get one or two over the rope that could have been the difference and I certainly didn't think it would cause him too much damage."

New Zealand fret over injury list | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Well where do I start, I went to bed this morning thinking we had this game in the bag and we somehow lost. Watching the highlights this morning one really has to ask what the heck was McCullum doing against the spinners. For such a talented batsmen he really makes playing spin bowling look difficult, he tries to hit everything out to point. If Taylor was injured he should have gone off also, don?t know what McCullum was thinking there we still had a lot of batting to come. And after watching Oram struggle in this form slump for so long I think it?s time to give him the boot. His bowling was really good, but he is really struggling to hit the boundaries at the moment.

Now if these injuries are really that bad, Ryder could be gone and so could Franklin by the sounds of it Shane Bond must come over. Actually if Ryder and Franklin are both out I would want Redmond and Bond to come over, Aaron Redmond was one of the best batsmen in last year?s domestic 20/20. But if these injuries are really bad this is what our team could look like:

1.Brendon McCullum
2.Martin Guptill
3.Neil Broom
4.Scott Styris
5.Jacob Oram
6.Peter McGlashan
7.Nathan McCullum
8.Brendon Diamanti
9.Ian Butler
10.Iain O'Brien
11?

With Vettori, Mills, Taylor, Ryder and Franklin all out injured. We wouldn't even be able to field a team lol.

New Zealand has to be smart and atleast send over two players, you can't just hope some of the players get better. Ryder sounds like a write-off, as does Franklin.

nz0003

International Cricketer
Franklin's good too play against Ireland, hopefully the same with Rosco.

irottev

School Cricketer
Franklin was just precautionary. He'll be right.

Taylor has to take blame, 71 strike rate is snails pace. He bats faster in tests. That's really not like him.

At the end of the day, we had heaps of wickets in hand and batters to come who can whack it. There was no need to be so negative. Did they want last over target practice or something? Really bad tactics. You should always try win a T20 before the last over.

nz0003

International Cricketer
Kumble said in commentary that you should always aim to chase down the total in 19 overs.

Taylor was rubbish, although he did play a couple of nice strokes.

McCullum was pretty useless against the spinners.

Oram is well.... I get angry every time he bats.

irottev

School Cricketer
Oram did an OK job. He wasn't terrible. They should have sent in McGashan, those dinky shots he plays could have been what we needed at one end. Especially his reverse sweeps against the spinners and such.

Don't bame McCullum, he played anchor until Taylor put pressure on him by not scoring. Taylor needs to start hitting spinners down the ground more rather than look for the slog shot. It's too predictable. It works well when he gets it right, he just over-uses it. You can read him like a book, he starts to move around in the crease.

nz0003

International Cricketer
Taylor needs to start hitting spinners down the ground more rather than look for the slog shot. It's too predictable. It works well when he gets it right, he just over-uses it. You can read him like a book, he starts to move around in the crease.

Every time he tries to hit the ball down the ground in the air it comes off, I haven't seen him get out from playing straight yet.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Oram was alright yesterday but let's be honest, he was bowled quite a few balls that 1-2 years ago he would of put over the fence. If we didn't have such an injury crisis I don't think he would be in the team, Franklin has shown a lot more as of late. I also don't think it's fair to blame Taylor, he was clearly injured and having a hamstring injury is always going to affect you're batting. McCullum has to score quicker during the poweplays, because when the spinners come on he slows down very quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread