The Android Discussion Thread

Gurjot95

National Board President
Titanium Backup. It is more than 'good' app for your device.

Mine will be -
Titanium Backup
TrueCaller
Dropbox
Where's My Droid (Must have)
Battery Calibration app when needed.

Best app for saving battery will be Juice Defender but only if you purchase full version, worth it!

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I've had the iPhone 5 for more than a month now (and used to have iPhone 4S before), and I have never worried about switching off/on Wifi or GPS or bluetooth or whatever. When I had the S3, I had to compromise a lot with the phone's features to achieve acceptable battery levels.

This is the problem with open source OS's. Different experiences with different manufacturers. Anyone who owns a Nexus, how's battery life?

Abhas

Retired Administrator
I've got the Nexus 4, and the battery is not exceptional. It is better than the iPhone 4S I was using just prior to it, but I am never confident that the phone will carry its charge throughout the day. (I get a lot of calls - about 20-30 in a day at an average, and I do play a couple of games for some time. Wifi is on the whole day, and if I'm out of office/home, I'm on 3G. Whatsapp and email are being actively used, and I do a bit of net surfing, mostly on wifi )

Apps that I use:
Whatsapp
Facebook
Google Analytics
Gmail
MXPlayer / VLC
Shazam / Soundhound
Teamviewer
Truecaller

Any good Remote Desktop Apps?

----------

Threads Merged and consolidated to form a complete Android Discussion thread. Discuss Apps, features, Phones, everything related to android here. Stickied.

Last edited:

Abhas

Retired Administrator
I've just rooted my phone. Still on stock everything. Can someone explain what are kernels?
I'm quite okay with the stock ROM, so not really willing to experiment with custom ROMs at the moment..

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
A kernel is somewhat like a bridge between the OS and the hardware. Whenever the OS(here Android) wants a task done, it requests the kernel to do so. For instance, if you tap on an application the screen hardware registers the touch and the information is picked up by the kernel. The kernel then sends the information to the OS. Once, it is recieved, the app is opened and the OS now sends the information to the Screen hardware, through the kernel again, for the change in screen, etc.

Addy

National Board President
best app.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I just love this wp8 app <3

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-08-15-58-48.png
    Screenshot_2013-05-08-15-58-48.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_2013-04-16-20-47-46.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-16-20-47-46.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 67

Gurjot95

National Board President
Adding to what BlitzBerg said, Kernel works like a Processor for PC. You can overclock, undervolt your phone through custom Kernel. Kernels are also important for implementing some scripts (init.d for example) and other modifications of hardware.

BlitzBerg

ICC Board Member
If I am right, Kernel have modules, which are either driver modules or modules unassociated with the hardware.

Windows calls all the Kernel modules as drivers only though.

Abhas

Retired Administrator
@friend863 unified remote needs a software installed on the computer. I was actually looking for a remote desktop app using the native windows RDC framework.
I usually connect to my server using RDC. Anything for that?

Villain

ICC Board Member
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Can anyone please point me to a basic/simple tutorial for rooting an android? Also,can I unroot it later on? 'coz my phone is in warranty.If possible please link me to the software required.One last question,will I lose all my current data? Thanks.
The only reason I want to root is 'coz I want to install games/apps on my SD Card(external card) as the internal memory which is 2GB is pretty low.I don't need better performance/themes or etc.:)
----------
I own a Sony Xperia Miro.

Users who are viewing this thread