Why isn't a bigger deal being made of AI fields?

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
AI field placing is questionable. A comment from developers in this matter and on chances of a fix for that, would be most appreciated.

smasta

Club Captain
Most annoying field setup for me in ODI is when AI put mid-on, mid-off, straight (in front of screen, infact this should not be legitimate field position in any format) , deep extra cover, deep mid wicket and make sure you don't play straight.:mad

Tests, its funny when greeted with all defensive fielding with every AI fielder is covering boundaries and you just have to push on leg-side to take singles :D

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
You need to read around more.

Plenty of people have raised concerns over the AI field placement.

To be fair to the OP, while it's definitely been mentioned, i think its fair to say it hasn't had as much attention as it deserves, because it's for me hands diwn the worst thing in the game. It magnifies other issues like the over powered fielders because 80% of the time the guy running you out or making a ludicrous catch arguably shouldn't be where he is.

It's defintiely immersion breaking, and pretty disappointing.

----------

I'm pretty sure that the AI chooses its fields from the presets so maybe people should edit those presets?

Having a silly mid on and silly mid off yet no slips never happens in real life, so if there is a preset field of that it should be changed.

This can't fix all the problems though, and the AI may still select fields that are "realistic" but not appropriate to the game situation.

Sadly you can't edit the existing presets, or better still delete some (too many by far). But if you set your own the AI will use them.

nimish_sach

Club Cricketer
Also in Powerplay they have more than 2 fielders outside if u score briskly sometimes have 4 fielders outside the 30 yards in first 10 overs.

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
The AI fielding setup is bad. I've played to fields where there are 5 players on the leg side with some like 10 ft from each other. I saw a field which had 3 players like almost next to each other deep on the boundary. Meanwhile off side is totally empty because they also had 3 slips.

AI Fields logic needs overhaul.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
I noticed in a limited overs game in career mode, the AI player had 4 slips in the middle of the innings.

woosaah

Club Cricketer
Also in Powerplay they have more than 2 fielders outside if u score briskly sometimes have 4 fielders outside the 30 yards in first 10 overs.

noticed this too, as well as the 3 fielders behind square on the leg side (and one just in front of square)

Its like the AI doesnt take into account the field restrictions. Hopefully this if fixed in a later patch, but I could be dreaming.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Had a field this evening in "Mighty Ducks" formation, took a photo but it's too blurry to post... but get this

Silly Mid On, Mid on, Mid Off, Long On, Long Off.

Not even kidding. Lasted about 4 deliveries then it changed cause I obviously hit everything on the legside... they then put a fielder on the boundary directly straight behind the bowler, dead in front of the side screen, behind the umpire!

...is that even LEGAL? Never ever seen that in a game of cricket. Why is that even a choice for the AI to have?

highwater

School Cricketer
I'm in my second season of a career now, and I have to agree that it is the most frustrating part of an otherwise splendid game.

Likewise, I agree that it tends to be the longer format of the game it affects most. I've been batting at number 3 and I can often be in bat in the first couple of overs (after an early wicket) on the first day of a game, facing an 85mph bowler who has no slips, no gully and 6 men on the boundary edge.

Other odd fielding positions include the sight-screen fielder - which is illegal, 3 behind square (often when I've been hammering that area), a mid-off and a long-off (not wide mid off which would be acceptable).

Also, I've yet to see much evidence of a bowler bowling to his field, ie sticking 3 slips in and bowling it 6 inches outside off. Or covering the leg side and bowling on middle.

This is more evident when playing spin. It should be very risky to hit against the ball on a turning wicket and the field placings should reflect that by covering the easier shots.

Loving it though. Keep up the good work.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Why do bowlers have two slips, a short leg and silly point in a T20 game around the 15th or 16th over?

It's really silly... AI should automatically choose defensive fields at the stage of the game. It's almost like fielding choice made by AI is random.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
It's not random, it's governed by the match situation. If you're "a lot" of wickets down for "not a lot" then it'll select an appropiate aggressive field. The problem is, what the computer thinks is "aggressive" is asinine in reality of a T20 match, but code-wise is a perfectly acceptable choice. It's just a case of BAS removing the option to select "Test" type field sets or @zimrahil's idea of having editable pre-sets and/or the ability to delete pre-set fields so the AI has more logical ones to select from...

Or the golden goose of "sharing" pre-sets via the Academy.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
But the AI seems to pick aggressive fields for a batsman past his 50 and for me, on 1 or 2, it places fielders on the boundaries. :)

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
Correct. It's confusing itself, basically. Comes down to prolly giving the AI TOO MUCH options regarding fielding and again, can easily be fixed by limiting the amount it deems it necessary to change the field.

Often times it'll change the field every ball, if you're rotating the strike (so two different field sets for each batsman) which sounds pretty par for course for a cricket game, setting fields for certain players... but then it'll change those fields ball by ball for that specific batsman, then next over forget that field entirely and go for another one... and so on.

Again, reasonably easy thing to fix I imagine.

aspink3

Club Cricketer
I find one of the best things about the career mode is coming into a different match situation every time. However when I come into bat at 12-3 needing 450 to win on the last day and there are no slips, it doesn't feel all that realistic.

It would be more exciting to come out to a series of slips and close catchers and encourage me to take risks in order to score runs. Do i risk playing the drive into the empty cover region when its 12-3 and an aggressive field is waiting for a mistake? I seem to have the freedom to just hit easy singles and it doesn't feel like there's any pressure. Great game but field settings are key and they just aren't right at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread