Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
good read

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Which is basically like facing junk spin in real life. In low level games you can get away with it because the variations are only mildly different and it all happens fairly slowly.

Picking spinners is absolutely an integral part of proper batting vs spin though. Some pro batsmen report being able to pick the seam position / shiny side from seamers as well, but that's not a standard skill.
I'm definitely in favour of an improvements that can be made to make the game easier to play with button prompts, which is what I see the aerial markers as being. I bowl without them and it's a far more enjoyable experience trying to learn the right timing and there's an increased likelihood of bowling bad balls. The differences in bowling actions also means it doesn't necessarily become a muscle memory task and there are subtle differences.

I kind of feel casual game and career are being mixed up by you..The skills deduction and addition I was talking was totally for career gameplay.. For casual and other modes we need a balanced application how it would work.. The type of player as I had mentioned in the document would be there but apart from that skilling and points added to them needs to be seen how they are done.. For sure I want the game to play as it should on default , personally not a fan of playing with skill and attributes to get good gameplay.. Make it function right on default for teams and created teams as well..

I have implemented negative or deduction in skills on poor execution so you cannot be on 100 always..Also if injury happens we could reduce skills of every aspect by 10-15% as they would have to build on their again..Also bad shot, execution or getting hit on body reduces skill points..

Agreed, team members need to have their own individuality in some way.. We can have different stance, different preferred foot movement and favourite zone and regions.. Skilling would vary them as well and attributes would play a huge role as well..

I did suggest that levels or skills could be time limted or for that matter they could even be performance based. Fail to maintain a level and you risk losing a skill. I'm not mixing up the career and casual - I just think a parity between how players are skilled, in a more straightforward manner would be better.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I'm definitely in favour of an improvements that can be made to make the game easier to play with button prompts, which is what I see the aerial markers as being. I bowl without them and it's a far more enjoyable experience trying to learn the right timing and there's an increased likelihood of bowling bad balls. The differences in bowling actions also means it doesn't necessarily become a muscle memory task and there are subtle differences.
With you on this..

I did suggest that levels or skills could be time limted or for that matter they could even be performance based. Fail to maintain a level and you risk losing a skill. I'm not mixing up the career and casual - I just think a parity between how players are skilled, in a more straightforward manner would be better.
Yeah I agree, I just want the risk factor involved in not doing whats required and whats being asked to do.. Just for the fact that people should have the "you cannot get away with it" feel..

Yeah skilling players needs to be portrayed and transferred well to gameplay..Seeing a player's way of dealing or going about the game should make us tell what he lacks and that should reflect in the skillset.. If thats done then that would be a big leap in itself..

------------------------------------

Also about the free movement of foot , I really want this to be implemented as you are trying to make a statement with your approach both in case of AI and online gaming this would play a big role.. Like the open stance when bowler is trying to hit the legs bowling around the wicket should be possible just with a movement of the LAS...

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
With you on this..

Yeah I agree, I just want the risk factor involved in not doing whats required and whats being asked to do.. Just for the fact that people should have the "you cannot get away with it" feel..

Yeah skilling players needs to be portrayed and transferred well to gameplay..Seeing a player's way of dealing or going about the game should make us tell what he lacks and that should reflect in the skillset.. If thats done then that would be a big leap in itself..

------------------------------------

Also about the free movement of foot , I really want this to be implemented as you are trying to make a statement with your approach both in case of AI and online gaming this would play a big role.. Like the open stance when bowler is trying to hit the legs bowling around the wicket should be possible just with a movement of the LAS...
I've just changed a printer cartridge and got four more pages I didn't realise I hadn't read.

With regard to foot movement I would love to see that become a little more fluid. A big thing for me would be free movement when advancing shots, not holding down L2 or whatever the control is. Finding a way to advance using the stick would be great. A narrow window maybe, as the bowler is about to enter the delivery stride, to push and hold forward and your player will advance down the track.

I play on auto fielding but that's more because of the current mechanics than a total lack of interest. The mini-game would be fine if the appearance of it didn't seem to be nearly random. Personally, I've no interest in it for ground strokes, maybe it would be best saved for close catches (short leg etc) and slip and keeper catches. Or the option to select when it is used so that I could tailor it to what I want, I know some people like to do the fielding.

I'd love to see a system where the fielder movement is automatic but we trigger their action, be it a dive slide like you said or something else. For example:

Button 1: sliding dive
Button 2: attempt to pick up while running
Button 3: a tap back (if another fielder is in range)
Button 4: a good old fashioned long barrier

Then when the ball is in hand we can choose a direct throw or throw to keeper/bowler at either end. Individual fielding skills, I'm thinking agility, would determine how quickly and effectively each player could carry that out the particular skill.

In terms of fielder positioning I'm in agreement that something like specific zones would be good. I've always thought if you have your default position and then minor positions around that for fine tuning. The image below kind of explains it; the dark blue is 'Cover', the light blue would represent small movements, maybe a few yards. I know you can kind of do that already, but being able to do it with individual fielders would be a nice option to have.

bundle1.png

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
With regard to foot movement I would love to see that become a little more fluid. A big thing for me would be free movement when advancing shots, not holding down L2 or whatever the control is. Finding a way to advance using the stick would be great. A narrow window maybe, as the bowler is about to enter the delivery stride, to push and hold forward and your player will advance down the track.
Yeah would like something like that maybe quick front motion with LAS twice should trigger the advance down mode, or something that can be done even at last second like advance and dab..Also the shots mainly for the advance down needs clear proper shots , its all too much stretched out shots which feels like the batsman if he had done in real life would have had a muscle tear.. That needs to be taken care of..

Also the foot movement as we do in real life as well have that front foot planted and have our own movement as separate and the shot as separate.. So when you try cutting a spinner who has bowled a bit short to cut, we can go front foot and then backfoot with leg aiming 11'o clock and cut the ball playing it to 2'o clock.. Would become a proper shot and gameplay with such aspect..

I play on auto fielding but that's more because of the current mechanics than a total lack of interest. The mini-game would be fine if the appearance of it didn't seem to be nearly random. Personally, I've no interest in it for ground strokes, maybe it would be best saved for close catches (short leg etc) and slip and keeper catches. Or the option to select when it is used so that I could tailor it to what I want, I know some people like to do the fielding.

I'd love to see a system where the fielder movement is automatic but we trigger their action, be it a dive slide like you said or something else. For example:

Button 1: sliding dive
Button 2: attempt to pick up while running
Button 3: a tap back (if another fielder is in range)
Button 4: a good old fashioned long barrier
Yeah this is similar to the semi manual fielding setup and I like having a mini game within that without spoiling the fluidity of the game which feels important to me.. I dont want moving the analogue stick to a circle to grab a ball..

And the buttons option to field appropriately is the way to go IMO too..

Then when the ball is in hand we can choose a direct throw or throw to keeper/bowler at either end. Individual fielding skills, I'm thinking agility, would determine how quickly and effectively each player could carry that out the particular skill.

In terms of fielder positioning I'm in agreement that something like specific zones would be good. I've always thought if you have your default position and then minor positions around that for fine tuning. The image below kind of explains it; the dark blue is 'Cover', the light blue would represent small movements, maybe a few yards. I know you can kind of do that already, but being able to do it with individual fielders would be a nice option to have.
You totally gave the representation of the zone thing I was talking about..

Also those zones should also be an option to move the fielder into them as well like 1-2 steps to right , left etc.. This would get the field setup you want.. Should be something when we press R2 and look around and we lock on a fielder with X and then we use D-pad to move him in that zone..We can keep the field positions in the field setup page the same but have our inputs when in game..

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Also those zones should also be an option to move the fielder into them as well like 1-2 steps to right , left etc.. This would get the field setup you want.. Should be something when we press R2 and look around and we lock on a fielder with X and then we use D-pad to move him in that zone..We can keep the field positions in the field setup page the same but have our inputs when in game..
Yes! Exactly my thought. 'Captain Cam' just the free moving cam you get in the replay mode and move to any player you like and make positional tweaks, or if using auto-fielding, issue them instructions 'throw at the stumps' or 'throw to keeper'.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Thanks to whoever made this thread as pinned one..:thumbs

Yes! Exactly my thought. 'Captain Cam' just the free moving cam you get in the replay mode and move to any player you like and make positional tweaks, or if using auto-fielding, issue them instructions 'throw at the stumps' or 'throw to keeper'.
Exactly..

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good in theory yes, but AI is nowhere near advanced enough to cope with all these subtle and different fields to the default ones imo. How could you program the AI batting to cope with infinite field placings?

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Good in theory yes, but AI is nowhere near advanced enough to cope with all these subtle and different fields to the default ones imo. How could you program the AI batting to cope with infinite field placings?
I don't have a clue how you'd program it. To be honest, I'd be more worried about AI not keeping up pace in setting fields than the batting. I'm fully in the camp that the AI needs to be vastly improved to compete in terms of field setting (and other areas). I'd sooner that was resolved before any potential improvements that can skew things even more in favour of the user.

But, if the AI was able to move players into one of the outer circles (using the image I posted as an example), even if it is was random, I think it would be an improvement on the huge field changes that you see at present.

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Not infinite just a step or two from the fielding position they are in...

Eg:

The mid wicket in such a field

20180810003439_1.jpg

Can move like below positions, not from the field setup but from using the look around trigger of the bowler looking around and selecting the fielder and using D-pad..

Field 2.jpg

Its more like the next step to having the option of bringing the fielders in and out who are at inner circle and same with WK which we already have in Ashes..I felt that it worked well..But field set ups as a whole didnt work out well in game as right fields at right time was lacking in the game..But like I have said AI needs to back all these stuff to actually have an effect in the game..Also I do believe we will reach there..

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
For AI to be better, I reckon commentary has to play a part. Coz today AI might be doing something that we may not notice, but if the commentator announces the situation and what the expected AI response to those situations should be then the sense of the occasion will be lot higher. Wether the AI will do that and how well will depend on the skills of the AI team/player.

There are so many subtle things that are at play from weather to pitch to player style to match situation that a decent commentary can really increase the involvement of the game. Currently it seems to be reactive, as in 'great shot' or 'poor shot' sort of commentary.. but imagine it announcing 'batsman should look to do X' or 'batsman should avoid doing X'...

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
For AI to be better, I reckon commentary has to play a part. Coz today AI might be doing something that we may not notice, but if the commentator announces the situation and what the expected AI response to those situations should be then the sense of the occasion will be lot higher. Wether the AI will do that and how well will depend on the skills of the AI team/player.

There are so many subtle things that are at play from weather to pitch to player style to match situation that a decent commentary can really increase the involvement of the game. Currently it seems to be reactive, as in 'great shot' or 'poor shot' sort of commentary.. but imagine it announcing 'batsman should look to do X' or 'batsman should avoid doing X'...
Yeah such a thing was always suggested but I dont think that proper commentary can be executed as there's always issue of wrong commentary in wrong time because even assigning them are tricky..

I would like the game to be more interactive than commentary..And having options to select from the screen as to what AI wants you to do or what you want the AI to do ,even for online gameplay selection of options would make it lot easier and engage us in the game more..

ashar rizwan

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Why no one talking about Stadium Creator,I think there should be proper adboards without distance between them and other features like outfield creator,stump creator,etc..

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
Yeah such a thing was always suggested but I dont think that proper commentary can be executed as there's always issue of wrong commentary in wrong time because even assigning them are tricky..

I would like the game to be more interactive than commentary..And having options to select from the screen as to what AI wants you to do or what you want the AI to do ,even for online gameplay selection of options would make it lot easier and engage us in the game more..
Not sure how tough/tricky getting such commentary will be. But it will definitely allow BA to express themselves better. If AI tries 3 outswingers and then 1 inswinger and actually succeeds in getting a wicket, a quick line about how bowler set the batsman up before getting him out would really show the depth of the AI.
IMO, there are far too many factors for the human players to appreciate without some 'highlighting' from the commentary.

Too many on screen options runs the risk of breaking immersion that BA are trying so hard to bring and I would say succeeding at.

Users who are viewing this thread