My thoughts for the future iteration for BA cricketing series

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I put it to the test @Spoobir. Bowled to the same field (two men out) for 50 overs (SA v England).

6LbXimP.jpg
8vHpJCC.jpg
d0pnoXr.jpg
2GhRvgD.jpg
LhAIZBW.jpg
eeT58RS.jpg

D

Deleted member 193590

Is this using your reskilled teams?
Because before I downloaded them,this is how every game would go for me.I would get 5 wickets then they would batter me.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Is this using your reskilled teams?
Because before I downloaded them,this is how every game would go for me.I would get 5 wickets then they would batter me.
Yep, my teams.

It's very similar to how some other games have gone to be honest - post patch. I bowl a lot more extras than I imagine most people do, so take away those and the score is only 20 or so higher than what I've conceded when setting 'proper' fields.

It's only one innings so it's not ideal to judge. But, taking the old 'double your score at 30 overs' mantra, and the fields I used, I think 370-400 would have been more realistic or at least that score with more wickets down, although with only two out fielders I suppose that reduces the chance of wickets.

There was an awful lot of blocking and just pushes to the infield. Root's dismissal seemed so weird. He scored 10+ in an over and was on strike for the next one when he defended five to Shamsi and then got out lbw trying to flick one away.

Putting this experiment aside, I do think there could be greater scope for AI players getting through the gears sooner.

Akhilsaj

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm not saying you can't miss the 12 exact lengths and hawkeye would draw lines on the pitch (though this was the case in DBC17), my gripe is with how the controls work - that you select one of the 12 lengths and any variation from what you select is very minimal.

Putting the ball on your desired length in DBC14 was a skill and satisfying when you got it right, with slight differences in timing producing significantly different deliveries... Now you just choose the ball and try to get "perfect" timing to increase your "delivery quality" bonus points. Less tactile controls, less realistic results and generally just a big downgrade in bowling mechanics between 14 and 17, subsequently kept the same in Ashes.
I highly doubt the makers of dbc 14 are from the same team who produced 17 and ashes. 14 stands a class apart in game fluidity and physics.No wonder 14 had more sales than the last 2 .

Last edited:

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I think I took the thread off topic a little, so here's an idea I had before I went to sleep. It came back after waking up so it must be a good one, right? I'll let the wise minds of Planet Cricket decide. Just based on some of the discussions and a little feedback since I shared those reskilled teams as well as my own experience.

TLDR: A strategy creator in the academy.

This is an extension of some of the ideas that have been shared, by me and others, around team strategies and improving AI bowling and batting. Given that at times it can seem very one dimensional; the bowling seems heavily influenced by mentalities - or whatever it is that creates quite unrealistic bowling at times - the batting feels, again, restricted by mentality, but also by whatever mechanism (run rate?) means that teams seemingly look to score at a consistent rate in the a similar way.

I suppose in essence for players it would mean we could create custom mentalities - e.g. set a mentality for different format, perhaps different circumstances (e.g powerplay, facing the new ball etc) and different attacking options (defensive, attacking or balanced).

For teams: we could set the pattern of attack during a powerplay, middle overs and end of an innings. Perhaps setting the number of overs left that a team would attack. I'm not sure how well this could be done given that we've seen with the ODI chasing issue that dogged the game before the recent patch. There's every chance it'd bring in the whole slogging on the last ball of an over issue.

For bowlers we could set the primary length, primary delivery and then some tiered alternatives. Having Jimmy Anderson come in with the new ball and swinging and seaming the ball on a good length would be very satisfying, if difficult to face. In line with the fields maybe we create an attacking strategy, a defensive strategy and a balanced strategy.

For a spinner we set the primary variation, the frequency with which they use it. Other variations and their frequency. To the point that we prevent bowlers bowling a ball they can't bowl. Also look at how they use flight and/or bounce to fool the batsman.

Barring any major changes to these areas in the game it might be one way of giving us some more control and genuine opportunity to create more diverse strategies and players. The things that we can alter at the moment, skills (unfortunately) or the modifiers don't really seem to influence areas of the game that I personally think are weak, and can ultimately be seen influencing how the AI plays.

If we could share these or attach them to existing players/teams it'd be even better. Alternatively having such options as a default in team or player profiles would be ideal. But being able to save custom strategies (like fields) might mean they can be swapped around more easily then having to go through each time.

It's not a perfectly thought out idea, any thoughts welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread