2007; Worst year ever for British Sport?

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Still absolutely gutted from the Hatton fight last night/this morning and it got me thinking that i've never been this sportingly depressed since we lost the Ashes, which was also in this wretched bloody year!

Aside from Joe Calzaghe and James Toseland, we've had precious few winning personalities and even these two don't get the recognition they deserve.

Your thoughts?

Ha, roll on 2008! 2007 has been a crap year all round!!!!

Griffo

Chairman of Selectors
Id rather be a convict than a Prisoner Of Her Majesty (POHM)

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
2007 is certainly up there with the bad years.

Dismal at the cricket World Cup, lost the Tests to India at home, lost in the rugby World Cup final, failed to qualify for Euro 2008, Norwich couldn't buy a win and Hatton beaten by an arrogant American.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
But look how cycling has done!

Wait is anybody intrested in cycling?

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Worst year ever for British sport? not even close.

I'd say most likely candidates for worst ever year for sports would be from the following years:

1914-1918 and 1939 to 1945.

Face it Britain is a small country and it competes in almost every sport its possible to be professional in. The weather is rubbish and we've sold all our school playing fields to build houses. No wonder we don't win that often.

England are still clinging to second in the ICC Test Championship and Ireland showed they can pull a few punches above their weight in the World Cup. Hardly worst ever performances.

England got to the final of the Rugby Union World Cup, Hardly worst ever.

Ok we suck at International Football

Snooker world champion is Scottish and he beat an Englishman in the final.

British players dominated the Darts rankings (Darts is a sport!)

Paula Radcliffe is winning Womens marathons on her return to the sport after having a child.

Joe Calzaghe is undefeated WBO & IBF Super Middleweight champion.

I could go on

Animator!

School Cricketer
Worst year ever for British sport? not even close.

I'd say most likely candidates for worst ever year for sports would be from the following years:

1914-1918 and 1939 to 1945.

Aye, they weren't the best. We still hammered Germany on the Christmas Day Football match though, lets' be honest.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
England were pretty bad not to qualify for Euro, they also weren't the greatest team ever at the Cricket World Cup.

Ahh well, we'll eventually lose that. :)

And we'll be free.

What about the free holiday?

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors

Face it Britain is a small country and it competes in almost every sport its possible to be professional in.

UK Population - 60,776,238 (July 2007 est.)

Australian Population - 21,159,525

And we're better than you at most sports. :p

Especially cricket. Oh, and don't say that you are better than us at football.

Our last game against each other.

Australia 3-1 England

Australia stunned England in one of the biggest upsets in soccer history today winning 3-1 against a near World Cup strength English team.

He he he. :D

England were pretty bad not to qualify for Euro, they also weren't the greatest team ever at the Cricket World Cup.

What about the free holiday?

? We have lots of free holidays during the year. And we'll eventually lose the free holiday of queens birthday. :( :p

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Australia gets a public holiday for the Queen's birthday, yet the country of her residence doesnt? Crazy.

I read yesterday that England had become the world champions at squash by beating Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread