2007; Worst year ever for British Sport?

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Still absolutely gutted from the Hatton fight last night/this morning and it got me thinking that i've never been this sportingly depressed since we lost the Ashes, which was also in this wretched bloody year!

Aside from Joe Calzaghe and James Toseland, we've had precious few winning personalities and even these two don't get the recognition they deserve.

Your thoughts?

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
I would have to agree, since the ashes it all went wrong for England in sporting terms except in ODI's in cricket.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
And still in ODI's we lost to the West Indies. Cricket wise it's been topsy turvy really, win then lose and so on. Football has been by far the worst. Rugby we have done well, but still a massive disappointment to make the final but not go all the way. So with the 3 major sports being largely disappointing I spose it probably is...

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
Doesn't beat 1993 surely? Failure to qualify for the World Cup after we had reached the semi's England got carted in the Ashes and Warne had arrived.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Ah, but in 1993 I was only 2/3 and had no idea what anything was.

The tale of this year has most definitely been finishing 2nd best. Hamilton, England football team, Cricketers, Rugbyists and painfully so, Hatton as well.

It sounds harsh, but aside from a select few we've been a nation of losers this year.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Well to be fair, you Aussies are all still part of our country anyway so by proxy, your hopeless as well!

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
One things for sure im always proud to be a POM, not a Convict,

This is what the Aussies and English call each other.

Yeah its been a bad year, but lets look on the positve side, Hamilton - even though he didnt win - is now a major talent that we have found,

England football finally got a wake up call that they arent good enough and something needs to change in the set up, also that football is dominated by money,

England cricket got rid of Fletcher(he did very well!!) but it definately was time to change, the ODI's are looking up and Moores is capable and has very good knowledge of the English Players, Took swanny on the tour, Took guts to drop Anderson for the uncapped Broard, Finally dropped Strauss.

England Rugby is looking up, they need to stick with Ashton, There is so much potential and getting to the final of RWC showed guts and determination especially as we got beaten badly in the group stages!

This year for England may have been a year of coming 2nd best but there were definately alot of positives to come out of this year!

And the biggest positve no more Warne and McGrath!

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Well to be fair, you Aussies are all still part of our country anyway so by proxy, your hopeless as well!

How are we part of your country?

One things for sure im always proud to be a POM, not a Convict,

We're not convicts, only our ancestors. ;)

Anyway, most of us would've come here after the convicts, so really, we aren't convicts.

I know my background is Irish and Scottish so you can't call me a convict! ;)

Last edited:

ivanvdm15

International Cricketer
well actualy for a poor England rugby side to come back so strongly and get into the World Cup final is one good thing out of the year.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
We're still the hardest nation in the world and thats what I care about. :D Best fans ever too, no-one elses even come close

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah. I know it's disrespectful and all that, but it was hilarious when all the Hattonians were booing the American national anthem this morning. :D

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
That was brillaint, it was just a shame Tom Jones sounded like a complete good singing ours.

Yeh British people are just so much better than everybody else, everyone else is scum. We are brilliant. anyway when Broad takes 10fer and turns out to be the best bowler ever we'll remember this year positively.

Users who are viewing this thread