A bat-pad catch, snick to slip and a perfect day of Test Cricket

Wealey

ICC Board Member
So lads, after the AI Crumbling in Pro mode and being able to role them out too easily I decided to fire up a test on Veteran.

West Indies v South Africa at Trinidad

End of Day 1: South Africa 340/3 after 79 Overs

What a day of Test Match cricket which really showed off the beauty of this game. Also brought up a few issues which I think Ross would agree with and I don't they are that big of a deal.

Firstly throughout the innings the AI batted sensibly and built their innings. The beauty of Veteran was the no bowling aid and when ever I strayed to full or short I was punished. Some of the shots I must say really are pleasing to see, even some of the defending.

Smiths wicket was a cracker and my first ever bat-pad. Tried to flick it to leg and edge it onto pad, keeper ran through and caught it.

Amla came to the crease and continued to build slowly punishing the bad ball but accumulating runs at a steady test match pace.

Throughout the innings the rate was about 3.5 to 3.8.

However De Villiers seemed to be in a hurry to bring up his ton before the end of the day and did so in stylish manner whereas Amla was happy to continue going about on his merry sedate way. De Villiers managed to push the rate up to 4.3ish which is still acceptable.

De Villiers did flash one to slip during the 90's only for it to pierce the gap and run away for 4.

My main issue with this innings was again the bowling speeds. By lunch my seamers were knackered and were bowling at about 60mph. I have played a little into day 2 before writing this and took the new ball. Fresh day etc. However they are still bowling at 50-60mph and it seems as if the new ball is just going to waste.

I have a feeling that the drop in pace also has an effect on the frequency of edges. Beginning of day I was getting a few but as the pace dropped off I have not even been offered a sniff!

Anyway, hopefully some of the vids are attached and scorecard etc!

IMG 4946 - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWrIkiCrBhE

Update South Africa 454/6 off 108 overs

Best struck with the new nut, finding the outside edge of De Villiers and then bowling Du Plessis!

Amla finally removed for 154 just before lunch on Day 2

Attachments

• IMG_4952.JPG
    IMG_4952.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I agree mate the bowlers speeds and the bounce is the problem with edges in the game as the physics are very good in the game. Just needs a tweak Bigant.;)

Wealey

ICC Board Member
I agree mate the bowlers speeds and the bounce is the problem with edges in the game as the physics are very good in the game. Just needs a tweak Bigant.;)

Ah mate physics are so good, got one to turn from shillingfood to elgar, hit top his pad then clip shoulder of bad and go through vacant slip area!

AI posting a big total here!!
@BigAntStudios the physics are nuts!

D

Dutch

Ah mate physics are so good, got one to turn from shillingfood to elgar, hit top his pad then clip shoulder of bad and go through vacant slip area!

AI posting a big total here!!

Yeah the physics are pretty darn good. Had a couple of beautiful late inswingers clipping the top of off stump and a catch at second slip off an outswinger....brilliant stuff....

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Yeah the physics are pretty darn good. Had a couple of beautiful late inswingers clipping the top of off stump and a catch at second slip off an outswinger....brilliant stuff....

Did you manage to see the bad-pad? Ha i was doing laps round my living room! Down and left on the left stick gives the spinner some naughty flight and drift

Amla 154 off about 300 was very realistic.

Only prob is i cant bat.... So they have more than enough

ChinamanSpin

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360

Speaking of physics, I smashed a delivery from a spinner straight at the non striker, and the ball popped up to mid on and was caught. Very nice stuff.

I also love when the ball hits the batsman's pad or body and dribbles towards the stumps. The game is not without it's flaws, but little moments like that show it's excellence.

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
All this talk of swing and spin makes me very envious. I don't seem to be able to do either.:(

gamer22

Club Captain
Good to know. Let's see how you bat and AI bowls.

Where is cricket_online dude? He was going to try Veteran's level as well since he found all the other lever quite easy (talking about bowling only)

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Good to know. Let's see how you bat and AI bowls.

Where is cricket_online dude? He was going to try Veteran's level as well since he found all the other lever quite easy (talking about bowling only)

I can garantee you i will bat appallingly thats the only thing id request, bat on pro bowl on veteran!
@BigAntStudios is the massive drop in pace user input related or a little thing in the game needing a tweak?

I no jumping to early reduces pace but my front foot is on the line, so unless im missing something im not sure? New ball and a quickly bowling at 60mph is disheartening at 450 odd for 6 ha!

Last edited:

gamer22

Club Captain
I can garantee you i will bat appallingly thats the only thing id request, bat on pro bowl on veteran!
@BigAntStudios is the massive drop in pace user input related or a little thing in the game needing a tweak?

I no jumping to early reduces pace but my front foot is on the line, so unless im missing something im not sure? New ball and a quickly bowling at 60mph is disheartening at 450 odd for 6 ha!

I am pretty sure at some point batting is going to get easier too in a month or so on PRO level so IMO no need to tinker with the batting at Veteran Level.

TheJF

School Cricketer

Wealey, 1 thing I noticed when playing around and leaving the HUD on is that; when the bowling isn't in both of the markers then pace drops considerably as does RPM for the spinners. I can't say whether or not this is the cause for other people but I did notice that when playing around with the game

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Wealey, 1 thing I noticed when playing around and leaving the HUD on is that; when the bowling isn't in both of the markers then pace drops considerably as does RPM for the spinners. I can't say whether or not this is the cause for other people but I did notice that when playing around with the game

That's true but if your pacer bowls a spell of 5 overs or more, you will see the pace drop drastically even if you are within the bowling meters. Even the AI pacers' pace drops off after they have bowled a few overs and bowling within the timing meters shouldn't be a reason for them.

TheJF

School Cricketer
I haven't seen that yet as bowl as a finger spinner in career so haven't had a prolonged spell bowling with a pace bowler.

Will look out for that as if the pace drops whilst batting it may be slightly easier to time.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I haven't seen that yet as bowl as a finger spinner in career so haven't had a prolonged spell bowling with a pace bowler.

Will look out for that as if the pace drops whilst batting it may be slightly easier to time.

Try playing a casual Test match and you will know. I picked 3 pacers in my team and all of them were knackered before lunch on Day 1, and were pretty useless thereafter. I had to mostly bowl my spinners - one regular and a part timer - rest of the match :(

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread