Ashes Cricket delayed officially

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Well he has checked in a few times and has declined to say anything for a week or two, so he has had plenty of opportunity. Whether he could, only he knows at the moment.

The whole could he tell us its delayed thing i dont get?!

He can have all this interaction with us yet cant tell us the game is delayed.

Something that we have figures out outselves and numerous retailers have told us.

Certain stuff i more than understand is confidential.

But this is now common knowledge and appeared to be known by Ross weeks ago!!

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hitter, The release date was announced at the same time the project was made public, so about, what... 8 months ago? That's been their problem from the start. They were racing against time to finish the thing, evidently... time ran out.

raghavhari

School Cricketer
i think they will release a demo of AC2013 on 21st june......and say these are marketing skills..

angad

Chairman of Consent
Why not just be upfront about it? It doesn't hurt pre-orders, because you're just letting people know that the game is coming, just a little later than expected.

I wonder how much of it (i.e. not disclosing the delay) was dependent upon keeping BigAnt guessing! They knew BigAnt was waiting for the official version to decide upon their final strategy. Even now we are hearing different dates from different people and no official word from 505!

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
I think you're waaaaaaay overestimating the effect BigAnt has or hasn't had in their development process.

Hitterman

International Coach
Hitter, The release date was announced at the same time the project was made public, so almost 8 months ago. That's been their problem from the start. They were racing against time to finish the thing, evidently... time ran out.

Exactly Biggs, thats what I meant. :). Might be poor strategy or lack of resources which might have delayed their development time period.

angad

Chairman of Consent
I think you're waaaaaaay overestimating the effect BigAnt has or hasn't had in their development process.

Nah...not in their development process....just on their disclosing the delay officially!

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Might be possible. May be they announced the original release date "21st June" too early. They would have thought that the time before the release date is sufficient to complete the development of the game.
Well obviously when they first announced the date they thought they would hit it, but the second they had any doubt they should have stopped giving a precise date, and once they knew they would miss it they should have started apologising and fronted up with the info.

My view is simple, if you have confidence in your product, what your competitors do should be irrelevant. Seems that AC13's product is just the Ashes licence.

Hitterman

International Coach
Well obviously when they first announced the date they thought they would hit it, but the second they had any doubt they should have stopped giving a precise date, and once they knew they would miss it they should have started apologising and fronted up with the info.
Yes I agree with that. I would say, lack of strategy for game development. :facepalm

----------

My view is simple, if you have confidence in your product, what your competitors do should be irrelevant. Seems that AC13's product is just the Ashes licence.
This reminds me of the epic competition between Codemasters and EA Sports years back, both of them used to be pretty confident before releasing their games.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
I think the non-disclosure of the delay is more to do with them not really knowing where the game was at and the bug-testing to get the thing running. The fact we only found out a few weeks ago that fielding would be automatic seems to suggest they are busy removing features that are too difficult to fix to get the game on the shelf to meet their agreements with licence holders, etc. That's all assumption, but I think it's a pretty fair one based on what we're learning now...

Matt might see it differently, but other than perhaps being caught off guard by how far through their own development process BigAnt was with their title (which, to be fair... has been moved around date-wise it's fair share too but seems far closer to completion now) 505/Trickstar would not be worrying in the slightest what the BA product team are doing because the two games really are WORLDS apart when it comes to how they're being made, features included and so on...

...this un-announced delay other than frustrating, just gives me a feeling of unease about collecting pre-orders (and money) based on a date they clearly knew they weren't going to hit for some time. Ethically, I can't (and won't) support that. Hence my pre-order is cancelled and I'll wait until the thing is out in the wild before assessing whether I want it or not.

...even at the price point, the money-side becomes less relevant to putting my money where my morals are at this point, and morally... to not disclose a delay of any sort open and honestly, while still collecting pre-orders and/or sales... is decidedly average.

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He did and has done so. He has stated on a number of occassions that he is not on the forums in any official capacity or able to answer some things, not because he doesnt want to but because he cant. His words, not mine.

Whether I agree with that or not is neither here nor there...

I can understand Chief not being in a position to comment on the delay because of certain obligations, but can't deny the fact that Chief was(is?) indeed here in a official capacity. It was a part of their so-called "Marketing campaign" as has been clearly mentioned over here Ashes Cricket 2013: Trade Spotlight | Retail Previews | MCV

angad

Chairman of Consent
A publisher that remains shhhhhh about the delay 3 days prior to its release....I can only guess how their after sale support would be :p!

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
At the moment it's 0gb

but can't deny the fact that Chief was(is?) indeed here in a official capacity. It was a part of their so-called "Marketing campaign" as has been clearly mentioned

The "official capacity" refers to him not being paid or funded to be here, I imagine. He's doing it because he cares about the community interaction and, you cannot fault him for that.

I doubt Mikey and Ross get paid to hang out here either, I view all these guys as forum MEMBERS rather than "officials" and we have unmolested access to them via a "neutral" ground if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread