Codemasters shifts focus in favour of Racing

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
BLIC 2005 was actually almost excellent except they made two massive mistakes. One was the bowling speedometer wasn't configured correctly, and the other was that as you went up the levels the computer also found it harder to bat. So that on Test difficulty, batting could be a challenge against the best bowlers, but the computer could no longer get bat on ball. Funnily enough if Cpu batting had been switched so that on Test difficulty for user they were batting on Village and vice-versa it could well have worked well as a single player game too.

When played as local multiplayer it came into its own though. The exagerrated swing meant you could genuinely set up your opponent when bowling. Me and a mate played 3 full series that all were incredibly good. Each went 4-5 days, had the odd big partnership worth 150-250 runs and normally came down to a final innings chase of anywhere between 200-350 runs and the matches decided by very realistic margins. The joy when you finally managed to end a big partnership was awesome, especially when a plan of bowling to a field came off. However the next few went backwards.

Anyone who claims the EA games had anything going for them is misguided. They were appalling cricket games filled with hundreds of bugs as well. Their only saving graces were the patches, but they were dreadful multiplayer games.

Managed to play some ICC 10 with a mate where we played on the same team as a batsman each. It made it pretty good fun, because you were never able to just get into a rhythm when batting so had to be a little bit cautious. I still believe the exaggerated effects of 2005 were actually the best way to make bowling fun (and batting difficult) in cricket games.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah CD Projekt are awesome. They've made two cracking games that try to be different from the standard middle ground and they do so without bending over to publishers requests. Haven't had time to get the second Witcher yet, but when I have time I will in the summer, and I will make sure my money goes to them by buying it through their site. I will also be interesting in anything they produce in future.

We are the consumers, supply and demand suggests we vote with our wallets. I haven't bought Diablo 3 because I disagree with the new system they are using.

----------

Also, I am not condoning piracy and neither are they in case anyone decides to try and deliberately misinterpret it :p

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
A good and interesting article that looks to highlight why my points about Codemasters shooting themselves in the foot with their appalling secure-rom system were true.
Plus that also means that it's impossible to play on Windows 7 because the stupid DRM means that it won't run because the driver is incompatible. I also have an old DOS Cricket game, released on floppy discs that won't run because time has meant that the disc read error based copy protection doesn't work anymore or that modern drives can't handle it.

In another area, I've lost music I've bought legally because the music store in question collapsed and they shut down their DRM servers. Instead of a refund or a DRM free version of the song - they just linked me to another service I could buy it again from.

Even if DRM might have a tiny impact at the time of purchase, the real problem comes years down the track when their fancy attempts at trying to block piracy mean legitimate copies stop working.

It sucks - I love bowling in BLIC 2005, but I haven't been able to play it in years because the game simply does not work.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Every one of the Codies games with even basic modding would have sustained communities that would have still been interested in getting the next one for that very reason. We'd have bleedin' done half the work for them. It boils down to not trying to fight the people that will play your game. Make them want to pay for it, not penalise them for doing so.

Luckily some of the good developers have realised this and they are thankfully seeing the benefits in their financial model. I will buy just about any Valve product I half like (heh, scuse the pun) just because I want them to continue making products.

----------

Your point about companies going bust is also very valid. To think a game is only available for as long they want you to have it is a scary thought.

----------

Essentially, DRM only effects the legitimate consumer. That's the base line, and it's fairly appalling :(

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
A good and interesting article that looks to highlight why my points about Codemasters shooting themselves in the foot with their appalling secure-rom system were true.

- 'The Truth Is, It Doesn't Work' - CD Projekt On DRM - Forbes

Of course it doesn't work. PC Gamer ran an article about DRM where they pointed out that many games that shipped without it sold by the bucket load. Note the word 'sold'. ;) It does nothing but punish the legitimate buyer - the pirates find a way round it in no time!

Although the content was severely limited, it looks like selling Ashes 09 was a bad move, as we have no idea when we're next going to see a cricket game, let alone one on PC! :facepalm

fk915

Club Cricketer
Its too early to make a conclusion about future CM Cricket game. I would say near Ashes we'll be able to find out about any cricket game. Logically it doesnt make any sense not to release a cricket game. CM already have a base they have released a couple of games on current gen consoles so they already have game ready, all they have to do is patch it up and release it.
Its not like they will be starting it from scrathces. Financially it is wise for any studio to outsourse cricket gaming production to cheaper market like India.
I am pretty confident that CM will release a cricket game around ashes! at this point their investment will be minimum coz like I said they already have a base.

nokiab

School Cricketer
who has the licenses for the cricket teams. If its EA, doesn't that mean that they have to create a cricket game or else the licenses go to someone else. So why haven't EA made a cricket game. And why hasnt Codies fought hard enough to get those licenses? just a queston.

Last edited:

timchrist984

Club Captain
Licences aren't really important IMO, EA's game had more licenced but pretty poor gameplay. Although lacking in official teams, Codies games have superior gameplay, making them far better.

StormySteve

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Maybe EA's or shall we say HB's games have run their course, gameplay and bugs havent really changed from 2002-2007, graphically yes, and I thought 2004 was awful. Maybe HB is sitting on the fence at the moment they've not said they are never going to release another cricket game. I think the whole games market is a bit of a mess at the moment what with the economic situation and piracy, a good percentage goes onto steam and the latest is you have to register with a server to play a game (battle.net for Diablo 3) just hope Steam don't go bust or thats 100's of pounds worth of games down the toilet!!

Re: Cricket, there's 3 ashes in 4 years coming up plus a world cup, I'm sure codies will do a cricket game, I'd forget CL & TAOC - vapourware:facepalm

Steve S.

Vishnu Karthik

School Cricketer
Hey GUYS i don't think third person perspective is a good idea AT ALL !

Instead they just need to zoom a little bit giving you Head to head view rather then the same old bird's eye view i liked that option in which you can actually zoom but couldn't continue to play in that angle that really was disappointing

Here is what i think new Cricket game needs :-

>> New gameplay camera angles which focuses from head to head view rather then panned out camera

Untitled.jpg
[/IMG]

jjj.jpg
[/IMG]

>> The game needs MORE shot variations and techniques it shouldn't be all just timing it should be more about angle and precision just like in real life

>> THE GAME Needs more "REALISTIC" fielding which includes Sprinting,chasing diving,leaping the desperation of saving boundaries and sixes run-out's should be more dynamic and realistic

>> THE game needs more realistic bowling again it shouldn't be all just timing it should be more about what line and length you choose to bowl and that circle should be removed for the god's sake its getting old

> It would be nice if you could spin/swing the ball Via analog stick
> The bowler needs a renewed camera angle like this

Lat but the least it needs a better commentary kits are not a problem as you can see there several guys like BIGG&kabooka to fulfill your skinning needs

And @SalimullahKHN you can get the ball to third man if you advance down the crease and play an early shot in Ashes 09

Last edited:

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
^To have all what you seek we need a new game that is not happening in immediate future. Right now we are all hoping for some company to step up and take on the challenge of creating a good enough game.

Vishnu Karthik

School Cricketer
^To have all what you seek we need a new game that is not happening in immediate future. Right now we are all hoping for some company to step up and take on the challenge of creating a good enough game.

Yeah but the camera angles are begging for change

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I actually think third person for batting and especially for bowling is great

Users who are viewing this thread